High School 504 Accommodations?

Started by brownie, December 15, 2014, 09:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownie

We have a 504 meeting tomorrow to prepare for high school in the fall.  Other than the obvious...we will meet with the nurse, he will wear his meds, the nurses's office will have a backup...what should I ask for in high school?  He is not airborne or touch (that I know of) and it is just PA. 
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Macabre

We have some high school threads, but I'm not able to look them up right now. One thing that changed for us was DS traveling more in HS--and without us at all. His 504 reflects that.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

brownie

Yes - I tried to allow for that.  Here is what I wrote:

•   Every effort will be made to make in-school and extracurricular activities accessible to ** despite his disability.  One example of this would be extended/overnight trips.  An advance list of anticipated meal stops and permission for ** to bring his own replacement food are examples of accommodations that might make this type of activity accessible to **.

Am I missing something here?

Macabre

The language in my DS's 504 is more definite. Frankly, we built his HS one on his MS one. Much of this has been taken out, but the things that have been added have similar kinds of language.

Re: Middle School Accomodation plan

brownie

Thanks wow - that looks more like my elementary school plan.  Our MS plan is only a dozen lines long and I think I can cut back even further for HS.  We've had no issues with lunch, at least at he middle school the classrooms are peanut free and rarely is food consumed.  DS is really good at self-advocating anyway...he would tell off a teacher if they insisted he eat something (for better or worse).  But I pulled a few things out we should have.  Thanks!  Brownie

Macabre

A lot has been taken out for high school, but other things have been added. And this year, junior year, we actually added PF rooms, as there is soooooooo much eating in class and he had a reaction last year from. Someone eating a granola bar a row away.

But I posted that to give an example of language. I would get rid of the "make every attempt" language and nail stuff down. Seriously--you want them to do stuff, not try to do it. If you wanted them to make attempts, a 594 wouldn't be necessary.

Macabre

So with travel, when it's far away (we are in the Midwest and he travels to NYC, Boston and Florida) they make sure the group stops at a grocery store or that DS is taken to a grocery store. Also, last year when the group flew Delta (peanuts), DS got to fly on US Air. According to his 504 he could have a faculty chaperone, though we were fine and actually happy for him to fly by himself.

You won't need to add language for this now. But I would keep the language both general and specific enough to cover situations that do come up.

Freshman year DS did have an overnight trip for a team he was on (speech) that was not on our radar at all when we did his 504 before school started. But his 504 covered him nicely.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview