login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chef Geoff's Downtown - Washington, DC  (Read 5414 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Chef Geoff's Downtown - Washington, DC
« on: December 27, 2014, 02:12:57 PM »
Has anyone been to Chef Geoff's in DC?  I saw pretty good reviews on Allergy Eats and the kids menu lists what allergens are in the dish.  I am thinking this might be an option for us next week.  DD is still very nervous to eat out after her reaction in October.  I sent an email and will call if I do not receive a response.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Chef Geoff's Downtown - Washington, DC
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 05:01:45 PM »
I haven't been, but Clyde's  is also great. There's one on M Street and one across con the basketball arena  there is a recent thread in OT I think and at least two other DC threads. Someone with dairy  allergy  talked about Chipotle prepping stuff in the back for them. there  is also one on M Street  and across from  the  basketball arena.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
Thanks Mac.  I've eaten at Clyde's back in my college days but the PB on the kids menu makes me nervous since we aren't sure about DD and PA.  We will hit Chipotle for sure.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
We're quite sure about DS' PA :)  and we've had no trouble at Clyde's a few times--both M Street and Gallery Place.  Other members have had very good experiences there, fwiw.  Of course, you have to feel comfortable. 

Re: Vacation to Washington, DC area

This DC thread has a LOT of great info all through it, but here are two posts that mention Clyde's:
Re: Wash DC Hotels / touristy stuff

Re: Wash DC Hotels / touristy stuff

Again, you have to feel comfortable.  :yes:

If you do find Chef Geoff's a good option, it might be great to post about it in these threads.  :)

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:23:24 PM »
Thanks Mac.  I called bith places and they both said a manager will speak to you, that they take cross contamination seriously, etc.  decisions, decisions...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 04:37:14 PM »
Fortunately Chipotles abound!  And there is a McD's inside Air and Space if you head there. 

Offline MaryM

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 05:33:19 PM »
I know we will hit Chipotle!  We are going to Clyde's in Georgetown! The other place didn't have a reservation until 4 and we don't want to head home that late.  The woman who took my reservation mentioned cross contamination and avoiding it!  Makes me feel good.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 06:16:53 PM »
So the only bad thing about that location if you aren't already in the area in no close metro.  But the red Circulator bus goes from near the Grand Hyatt (whisc h is near the WH) to GTown. But you probably remember that.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 06:18:17 PM »
But I love that location (ajas and I had dinner there and Ds has also eaten there) and adore M Street as a whole. It makes me so happy to walk on it.

Have fun!! And have a safe trip!

Offline MaryM

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
I went to college in DC.  We actually had my graduation dinner at Clyde's.  The kids have never been to Georgetown so that will be a nice way to end our trip!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:26 AM »
HAve a blast Mary! 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline maeve

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
There's a parking garage right at where the Clyde's location is on M St. It's actually easier to find parking there than the other DC locations (Gallery Place and Old Ebbitt).  I used to take DD to that Clyde's for lunch after her allergist's visit.

That Clyde's location is the first place I ever had chili. DH took me there when we were dating. I went to college across town.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MaryM

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »
I went to college across town too, Maeve.  We stopped by the old neighborhood on New Years Day and I thought of you as we passed your alma mater.  CUA is so different but the Chinese take out I ordered from 20 some years ago on 12th is still in business.  Colonel Brooks is gone, I know you went  right before it closed.

We had a very good meal at Clyde's in Georgetown.  DS really enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:54:20 PM by MaryM »

Offline maeve

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 07:18:51 PM »
but the Chinese take out I ordered from 20 some years ago on 12th is still in business. 

Was it Tsim Yung? I loved that place.  I really miss Colonel Brooks Tavern. I also miss the Jerry's Subs that used to be across the street from Trinity.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MaryM

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:02:49 PM »
Yes, Tsim Yung.  They knew us there.  We ordered often.  Did Jerry's subs sell pizza too?  There was a place that had good white pizza across from Trinity near The Cloisters apartment complex.