login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Oatmeal - Alternatives to Quaker?  (Read 11148 times)

Description:

Offline GoingNuts

Oatmeal - Alternatives to Quaker?
« on: January 01, 2015, 04:01:10 PM »
I'm looking for an alternative to Quaker, because they have thoroughly pi$$ed me off.

I use plain, old fashioned oats, no flavors, not instant, etc.

I used McCann's back in the day, but seem to remember something about them being X-contaminated?

Any recommendations?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Jessica

Re: Oatmeal - Alternatives to Quaker?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
Mom's Best told me there are no nuts or peanuts in the facility where the oatmeal is made. Flahavan's is also from a nut free facility but I have to order it from amazon.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »
They did apologize--in case you weren't aware. It may not matter to you, but just thought I'd share it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 07:42:36 PM »
No advice, as I've not actually checked on it in many, many years-- but Snoqualmie Falls Lodge brand is a guilty pleasure here and has been forever.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
DH uses Old Wessex Scottish-style oats.  I have no clue about cross-contam as he has no nut allergies and I can't eat oats, but I don't think the company makes any other products, so it would be worth a call.

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
Quaker couldn't tell me if their oats had nut cross-contamination in them after I had a reaction, so we stopped using them years ago.  We now use pure oats from Libre Naturals (top 11-free, plus more).  In Canada, you can also check the No Name brand ones from Superstore -or- Our Compliments brand from Sobeys - they both have great labelling policies and customer service.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:50:48 AM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 06:24:58 PM »
Got a call back from McCann's today - their plain oats and steel cut oats are made in a facility with tree nuts - no peanuts in the facility at all.  When they need to share lines, it is only done after an allergen wash. 

Um, thanks, but no thanks.  I'll pass.
N.E. US

hk

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 03:28:04 PM »
I emailed Flahavans.  They responded that they are a peanut/tree nut/egg/shellfish-free facility.  They didn't address my question about sesame, but I think that's probably unlikely.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:30:42 AM »
You might want to try again. This is what a member of one of the FB groups got

Thank you for your email and your interest in out products.Our oatmeal products are manufactured in our mill here which is a nut free site.With relation to your friend who has a child allergic to seeds, we do use seeds on site, however we do not use the allergen sesame seed.I hope this information helps!  Do not hesitate to contact us should you require further clarification.Thanks & regards,Camille Mulhearne Customer Service E. Flahavan & Sons Ltd, Kilnagrange Mills, Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford Tel: +353 (0)51 294107 Fax: +353 (0)51 294308 Web: www.flahavans.com
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

hk

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 12:36:09 PM »
You might want to try again. This is what a member of one of the FB groups got

Thank you for your email and your interest in out products.Our oatmeal products are manufactured in our mill here which is a nut free site.With relation to your friend who has a child allergic to seeds, we do use seeds on site, however we do not use the allergen sesame seed.I hope this information helps!  Do not hesitate to contact us should you require further clarification.Thanks & regards,Camille Mulhearne Customer Service E. Flahavan & Sons Ltd, Kilnagrange Mills, Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford Tel: +353 (0)51 294107 Fax: +353 (0)51 294308 Web: www.flahavans.com

Ooh.  Thank you!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »
Today at Stop & Shop I saw Hodgson Mills Steel Cut Oats with a label that said they are made in a PN and TM-free facility. 

Since I'm a whore for anything with that labeling, I bought it. I'll give a review when I'm done with my current package of Quaker.
N.E. US

Offline setsail

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »
We use either Chex brand oatmeal both instant and the bagged that I use for baking cookies, which is labeled gluten free and I trust General Mills labeling policy, or we use Nature's Promise ( Giant/ Stop n Shop/ Martins) instant oatmeal. I have called twice to verify that it is made in a peanut and free nut free facility.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 08:00:34 AM »
Setsail - does Chex have larger packages?  Several members use the individual packets but it would be nice to have access to a larger container.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 10:24:28 AM »
I've never seen Chex oatmeal - wonder if it is regional?
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »
Oooh, found it and now I will be on the search for it (wish we lived in the NE where the available GF products are so much more prevalent).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA