login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Oatmeal - Alternatives to Quaker?  (Read 11156 times)

Description:

Offline setsail

Re: Oatmeal - Alternatives to Quaker?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 12:07:52 PM »
I've seen the Chex oatmeal in 6 pack instant versions, and in a 16 oz cook and eat type. When we travel I buy it at Walmart, which hopefully means it should be available at most Walmart stores across the US.

Wonder if it's available on Amazon? We use Amazon for quite a few things that are hard to find here, even being in a big burb area. Keebler vanilla wafers, Golden Malted waffle/ pancake mix.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
Today at Stop & Shop I saw Hodgson Mills Steel Cut Oats with a label that said they are made in a PN and TM-free facility. 

Since I'm a whore for anything with that labeling, I bought it. I'll give a review when I'm done with my current package of Quaker.

Excellent.

Will look for that!!

I will also say that in the past, Hodgson Mills have been lovely, helpful and informative re: allergen info in phone conversations.  Really above and beyond.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

guess

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 12:31:05 PM »
I have called twice to verify that it is made in a peanut and free nut free facility.

Wait, GM said this or the store brand?  The store brand I would be more likely to believe.

The CS rep said unmistakably the facility is tree nut and peanut free, or they said if there was any chance of cross-contact they would label for it?  Because straight from the global GM toxicologist's mouth face-to-face he would NOT answer that question about facilities and said GM never will.  It is all about allergen management and if they feel there is risk they will put it on the label but it is ultimately a call they determine.

It's not something I would release to the internet but I do have it recorded.

That being said, I suspect GM does indeed manage some facilities at least peanut free but choose to not disclose it to maintain some sort of corporate control and I do use their products even if I couldn't pressure them into disclosure.

Assuming you were referring to GM.  I couldn't tell the way it was written.

Amazon has an electronic coupon for 20% off some of the Chex Oatmeals.  Not that I'm torqued at Quaker but the Chex comes in ready to serve sizes that don't contain milk and they are willing to go on the line as GF.  I have to make those sort of choices.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:43:10 PM by guess »

Offline setsail

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »
Correct, the store brand said PN/ tn free facility. Sorry my post wasn't clearer.

It's annoying that some companies won't directly answer the question a out nuts in the facility vs shared lines, and I'm pretty certain as well that GM uses shared facilities for many products though I have been told, when calling about Cascadian Farm frozen vegetables, that they would label for nuts in the same facility as a May contain. Maybe it's a distinction for that specific brand and item?

guess

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
The company line is "if there is a risk" they will label.  That line translates to if they believe there is a risk according to some mystery rubric.  The allergist sitting next to me was shaking his head in response to the GM spokesperson's explanation of their policy saying you can't predict risk across all patients.  Then he asked me what I'd rather have.  I said tell me what's on the line and let me assess if I want to ingest the item or not.

Now, what the scripts are for the CS reps and for all they know it's an honest answer.  They only know what they're trained to tell customers on the phone.  Human variance being what it is we can safely assume they have an upbeat message that it's all managed--which is in line with the company message.  On the positive they truly want our business I'll vouch for that much.  They are unafraid of the food allergy consumer segment.  That guy will never present to a crowd like us again, I don't blame him, but if it's going to be a monologue marketing message send a trained marketing professional. 

Anyhow setsail, I did order some Chex oatmeal on Amazon with a 20% off coupon.  It's primed so it should be fast delivery and *thank you* for mentioning it!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:43:58 PM by guess »

Offline setsail

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 10:16:33 PM »
The company line is "if there is a risk" they will label.  That line translates to if they believe there is a risk according to some mystery rubric.  The allergist sitting next to me was shaking his head in response to the GM spokesperson's explanation of their policy saying you can't predict risk across all patients.  Then he asked me what I'd rather have.  I said tell me what's on the line and let me assess if I want to ingest the item or not.

Anyhow setsail, I did order some Chex oatmeal on Amazon with a 20% off coupon.  It's primed so it should be fast delivery and *thank you* for mentioning it!!
Lol that is when I lost it for the third time on Mondelez. Yes they openly provide info about their cleaning regimen but I want to be able to make the informed decision. As a consumer I believe it's my right to know if there is a chance my allergen was used in a product before the one I wish to buy.

Hope the Chex works for your family! My two year old doesn't care for the apple cinnamon, pretty sure it's a texture issue, but he loves the cinnamon and even eats the plain. Now if I could find an instant grits product so I can completely dump Quaker.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 12:15:53 AM »
I saw a picture on facebook today of a nature valley product (from General Mills) with no warning for peanut but peanut oil (refined, it said) in the ingredients. So I guess General Mills does not consider refined peanut oil an allergen. It did have a 'contains' statement for soy.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA