Dairy Challeneg Today

Started by MaryM, January 06, 2015, 07:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

Yes, I know that feeling.   :console:

DD has a challenge this week, to walnuts.  Trying to open her diet, very slowly.  She passed the pecan challenge before; now walnuts. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

MaryM

DH and DS are on their way home.  We hadn't spoken since 9:30 when the challenge ended.  The allergist is very frustrated.  She said he is so close, his numbers are so low and she gave us 3 options:
1) Keep eating baked dairy and retest in a year
2) Pizza challenge
3) Go back and as Dr. Nowack put it, kick this in the "a**" - (Going Nuts DS went to her and she is funny) -  take a smaller dose of milk - maybe a teaspoon ( he had about 3 ounces and got a hive and a bit itchy on a scale of 1-10 he felt his itchiness was a 3) and see what happens.  If he does not react he would be dosed with that amount everyday.

A lot to think about but I am glad she is frustrated and has given us options.  I felt like this was it before and now as much as challenges are hard, I feel more optimistic.  DH asked about anaphylaxis and she said he had a pretty big dose of milk and only got a hive and itchy - it did not progress.  Its a good sign.

I MUST make milk muffins more often.  So I will be baking more tomorrow.

Also, Mt. Sinai apparently has a program or a therapist for kids dealing with after effects of Epi/Ana reactions.  She said what DH described about DD is very common and suggested we try it.  The first session is free and often kids are much better after one session.  I will look into that for her. 

GingerPye

That actually sounds promising.  You've got some options! 

so glad you found something for DD.  That may be very helpful.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

YouKnowWho

The tail end about therapy - I wanted to suggest in your other thread but wasn't sure how open you would be or her or even if you could find a therapist who deals with this.  I wanted to find one for DS1 at one point but it's hard because you do need to word it differently with food allergies than just generalized anxiety which tends to be that anxiety won't kill you.  But there is that line where you do have to have to be hypervigilant and the reality is that it can kill you.

Each passed challenge for us was amazing.  I won't lie.  And prior to each challenge, you think about the ways it will change your life and then when it fails, you forget in some ways well it's not like anything has really changed in our life, it's more about the goal being just out of reach.  And dangit, you just want to hug the prize really really hard!

I think it is why I have put off testing and asking about egg challenges.  Not sure with all else going on, that mentally I could handle it.  My bigger concern being, can DS1 hack another failed challenge.  He actually liked the eggs and the french toast (I was surprised at the scrambled eggs because they were bordering on cold and really an acquired taste).

I so hear you on the dairy thing - peanuts and tree nuts are not that big a deal but eggs and wheat are a huge struggle.

Just wanted to offer  :heart:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

MaryM

Thank you YKW.  Failed challenges are hard.  This is the 3rd one in the last 1.5 years.  BUT the reactions have all been quite mild so they have been disappointing to DS but he has not been tramatized.  When I spoke to him a little while ago after DH filled me in, I mentioned that it's great that we have learned something today.  DH and I agree that DS will be involved in the decision making process. 

I'm thrilled that Sinai offers help for FA kids.  DD needs it and I know she will get the right guidance from them.

guess

I don't know what you have in mind but with those options I'd go 1, then 2, then 3.  Sequential.  Lock in the gains.

Mookie86

MaryM

Thanks Mookie, I appreciate you stopping in here.  I know you have a lot on your plate right now.

Guess, we've been doing baked dairy for almost 2 years so we may go with pizza challenge.  Too tired and emotionally spent to think about it today. 

DS wants his favorite meal - chicken parm made with Daiya non dairy cheese.  I need to get moving.  Must pick DD up at 3:30 and get her to CCD.

PurpleCat

Just got home and wanted to check....so sorry it was a fail.  It was conclusive though which is a good thing.  And it's not a new allergy, you've got this!

Such a disappointment for all of you though.

becca

:grouphug:  Mary.  I know we talked earlier, but wanted to give you more hugs. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Janelle205

:grouphug:  I wish things could have gone differently for you and DS.

MaryM

A HUGE thank you to FAS. I really do not know what I would do with out you all.  It was a rough day but DS is ok and we have options.  The emotional toll is huge for me sometimes but DS is such a well adjusted kid.  He is eager to be part of the decision we will be making in the near future.  On that note, I am off to bed.  I feel like I have been run over by a truck.  I had 2 nice glasses of wine while I made DS his favorite meal and now its time to end this day.  Lets hope I am not up at 4am since I'm going to bed soooo early!

Thanks again for all the kind words and encouragement.

GoingNuts

So sorry Mary.  I am just getting to this now.  I know it feels like a kick in the gut, but it sounds like Dr. Novak views you guys as partners, and that's good.  Even bettter is DS's eagerness to be responsible for the management of his allergies.

Our kids take this stuff so much better than we do. 

:console: :console: :console:
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview