Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)

Started by Macabre, January 10, 2015, 10:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

setsail

Quote from: CMdeux on January 21, 2015, 08:36:01 PM
Quote from: Macabre on January 21, 2015, 08:25:58 PM
You terrified me, making me think Ash Wednesday was next week. Don't do that!!  :)

Last Lent TB here did not have the shrimp. I took it as a sign.  To eat there. 

DS and I have eaten there twice in the last two weeks fwiw  :hiding:  That Frito burrito reminds me of my childhood.

W000t!  Me too.  And I don't really believe in signs other than traffic control-- but that says "Yay, SFA safe."

Ahem.

Right-- peanut.  Cumin.  It would seriously suck if TB is off the menu for us come March.
Oh that would seriously suck if they bring back that shrimp taco. I'm shellfish and peanut allergic. :(

Still no word back from their nutritionist. Boo.

Jessica

I know most don't think of this but I hate to think about all the animals that died to provide that meat that will now be thrown away. What a massive waste, just because (speculation) someone was probably trying to save a buck.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

I have definitely thought about that in massive food recalls-- the sheer waste of it all is heartbreaking.  And yeah-- all because of human avarice.   :disappointed:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

YouKnowWho

Really wish they could donate to a shelter or soup kitchen.  I get why they can't but I have a lot of wishes when dealing with food allergies, sigh.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

PurpleCat

Macabre

Oh man, that is somethihg I have not thought about, becaue it really grosses me out. But as far as a soup kitchen goes, what if someone there has PA?  Goodness just thinking about how to deal with FAs while being homeless is hard. Yikes.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

YouKnowWho

I guess the soup kitchen could advertise that it is not safe for peanut allergies.  If they made it safe for all allergies, air wouldn't be very filling. 

But I am not sure the legalities of serving recalled food regarding false labeling (obviously food that has salmonella, etc couldn't be served). 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

setsail

I received a call back from Taco Bell again, in response to my further request about cumin in chili powder. I was told that no, the chili powder does not contain cumin and as of today, their cumin supplier is not part of the recall.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mezzo

Has anyone heard about Old El Paso? I was just thinking of using the enchilada sauce in my cupboard, but I haven't seen anything either way on that brand.

guess

Isn't suspecting all of our safe food fun? Thumbs down.

I haven't seen that one listed, Mezzo. 

CMdeux

Quote from: Mezzo on January 31, 2015, 02:25:48 PM
Has anyone heard about Old El Paso? I was just thinking of using the enchilada sauce in my cupboard, but I haven't seen anything either way on that brand.

They are part of the original Ortega group that did the very first recalls, yes?  I'd assume that they would have tracked it backwards to the enchilada sauce if it WERE a thing-- have you checked the original early links?

Western U.S.

Mezzo

No, Ortega is B&G Foods and Old El Paso is General Mills (unless there's a parent company link I don't know about). Hmm, will have to dig a bit.

I made meatloaf instead.  :)

CMdeux

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview