Jessica

USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

PurpleCat

This is good news!

I sent an email to McCormick and received the following reply:

Dear Me:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate your interest in our Ground Cumin and welcome the opportunity to be of assistance to you.

In answer to your question, we are not part of the Cumin recall. We grow all of our own spices and we get them in their raw from.

Neither McCormick's Pure nor Imitation Almond extracts contain nuts. The bitter oil of almond, that gives Pure Almond extract its flavor can come from several sources. We get ours from the pit of the apricot. The flavor of Imitation Almond extract is synthetic. The facilities that McCormick uses to manufacture our extracts, spices, herbs and seasoning mixes are peanut and tree nut free.

If we can be of further assistance, please call us at 1-800-632-5847. If you wish to respond to this note by e-mail, please include your name and e-mail address.

We hope to have the continued pleasure of serving you.

Macabre

PC thank you for posting that.  That is fabulous.

Jessica--thanks for the link.  I may post it on FB.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

nameless

CONFIRMED BY ME: Chipotle NOT affected! I suggested the put a notice on their website or FB page to make lots of worried folks happy!

(myname),

Thanks so much for getting in touch. As a Chipotle lover with food allergies, I totally understand how important this is. I'm happy to say we were not impacted by the recall. I'll also suggest we're a bit more forthcoming about this.

I hope you enjoy a burrito bowl soon!

Sincerely,
Amanda C

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Jessica

I posted the same in a thread in the restaurant section. Good to have verification and yes, it would be great if they added it to their FB.
food service/restaurants and cumin recall
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

CMdeux

Wheeee!  Thanks for the additional info, Nameless.  That matches what everyone has been hearing from them. 

Good.  We'd much rather go to Chipotle tonight instead of pizza.   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

starlight

Quote from: setsail on January 12, 2015, 07:30:25 PM

I called Taco Bell. And emailed. I'm waiting for a response from a nutritionist to get info about supplier.

Update: according to Miriam at Taco Bell hq, as of this time their supplier has not been affected by the cumin recall.
Additionally, for those like us that only buy refried beans from Taco Bell, there is no cumin in the beans. Spice is chili powder, natural flavor is garlic and onion.

Has anyone else heard back from Taco Bell? I emailed and posted on FB and got radio silence. The "as of this time" is a bit concerning given how many recalls are still coming out and I eat the beef tacos, not the refried beans....

CMdeux

I have heard nothing from them, either-- and honestly?  If another two weeks goes past, it won't matter since we can't eat there during Lent.   :tongue:

Western U.S.

Macabre

You terrified me, making me think Ash Wednesday was next week. Don't do that!!  :)

Last Lent TB here did not have the shrimp.  I took it as a sign.  To eat there. 

DS and I have eaten there twice in the last two weeks fwiw  :hiding:  That Frito burrito reminds me of my childhood. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

setsail

Quote from: starlight on January 21, 2015, 07:06:15 PM
Quote from: setsail on January 12, 2015, 07:30:25 PM

I called Taco Bell. And emailed. I'm waiting for a response from a nutritionist to get info about supplier.

Update: according to Miriam at Taco Bell hq, as of this time their supplier has not been affected by the cumin recall.
Additionally, for those like us that only buy refried beans from Taco Bell, there is no cumin in the beans. Spice is chili powder, natural flavor is garlic and onion.

Has anyone else heard back from Taco Bell? I emailed and posted on FB and got radio silence. The "as of this time" is a bit concerning given how many recalls are still coming out and I eat the beef tacos, not the refried beans....

I called back today, and will update when I hear back from them. I specifically asked about the cumin, who their cumin supplier is, and if the chili powder from their supplier includes cumin. I feel dumb for not thinking sooner that duh, chili powder is often chili, cumin, garlic and onion powders. Not all chili powder has cumin but since my family gets refried beans quite often, I told them I either need the info our my local TB will miss us. Lol

YouKnowWho

Quote from: Jessica on January 21, 2015, 01:45:36 PM
Georgia tells residents to avoid cumin.
http://www.americustimesrecorder.com/news/people-with-peanut-allergies-advised-not-to-eat-ground-cumin/article_59c5deb8-a0e5-11e4-80e6-43f210a3ae69.html

Too bad it's not on the news here in GA.  Grrr. 

If it was precious tainted peanut butter we would say it but I am beginning to think this is some sort of survival of the fittest comments section on an article discussing food allergies.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

CMdeux

Quote from: Macabre on January 21, 2015, 08:25:58 PM
You terrified me, making me think Ash Wednesday was next week. Don't do that!!  :)

Last Lent TB here did not have the shrimp. I took it as a sign.  To eat there. 

DS and I have eaten there twice in the last two weeks fwiw  :hiding:  That Frito burrito reminds me of my childhood.

W000t!  Me too.  And I don't really believe in signs other than traffic control-- but that says "Yay, SFA safe."

Ahem.

Right-- peanut.  Cumin.  It would seriously suck if TB is off the menu for us come March.

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview