login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Soup Threads  (Read 18213 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:46:28 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Soup Threads
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 05:59:26 PM »
I'll add more later.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »
My project for this afternoon:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-and-cauliflower-chowder/

But as usual, I'm changing it up a bit.  I think it needs to be pureed, so I'll simmer for 1/2 hour until everything is tender, using water instead of veg broth (need to cut salt) and will jazz it up with some smoked paprika and hot sauce.  I'll let y'all know how it comes out.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:15:12 PM »
Holy Cow, ^ is a keeper!  Really yummy.  The use of veggie or chicken broth would cut he sweetness a bit.  With just water and milk, it is a little too sweet for me - which is why I added the smoked paprika.  DH will want to add hot sauce.  And a sprinkle of reggiano on top would be amazing.
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:37:57 PM »
GN that looks yummy.  See the jalapeno coriander chutney above with that butternut squash soup. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 01:37:43 PM »
Might try making Italian wedding soup today.  Or tomorrow.  Got some spinach in the fridge to use.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »

Italian Wedding Soup

As usual, I did not use a recipe.  But looked at a few as a starting point.  Ina's approaches most closely what I did, so I will post her recipe.  My tweaks:  I used ground turkey and made used the whole package, so ended up also using 2 quarts of stock plus a little more water and a bullion cube.  I just dropped the little meatballs right in the simmering soup before adding the pasta and spinach and let them cook through in the broth.  Saves some mess, and some recipes do this.  I used an 8oz bag of baby spinach, but any greens would work, like Kale.  I have grown to like kale in soup, because it holds up well.  The spinach may be a bit slimy tomorrow, butt i am not so fussy.  I added 3 crushed garlic cloves and squeezed in about 1/2 a lemon.   

I omitted the dill.  I used acini de pepe pastas.  About a scant cup as opposed to 1/2 cup. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/italian-wedding-soup-recipe.html
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:42:54 AM by becca »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
I added the Portuguese Kale Soup thread ajas created from content from the previous place to the list of soup threads and also stickied this thread.  :)

guess

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 11:29:19 AM »
Beef stew and Irish stew help request.  Has to be top 8 free.  I cannot make these stews you'll have to trust me on it.  Foolproof would be preferred. 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »
I've never made Irish stew but I often make beef stew and never follow a recipe.  Low and slow gets the most flavor so I make mine in a crock-pot,  then I can ignore until dinner.

(On the stove top, I've had some success but I hate to hang out and stir.....so sometimes it has burnt.)

I put cut up onions in the bottom.  Then stew beef (no I do not brown because I use cubed meat and it will brown by the end).  Then mushrooms if I use them, then my hardest vegetable first (like carrots) up to the softest vegetables.  If I need to use a frozen veggie, that goes on top to steam.  Then I will add either beef, chicken or vegetable broth, about half way to 2/3's of the way up the pot.

If I want potatoes, I don't cook them in the crock-pot for 2 reasons.  They can get mushy, and they take up too much space.  I'll do those just before we eat on the stove top with beef, chicken, or vegetable stock - not water and then mix it all together.  Most times I leave the skins on.

Carrots, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, chunks of cabbage, green beans, parsnips, etc are all yummy adds.  If I get carried away with vegetable choices and the pot gets too full, I'll cook green beans the same way I cook potatoes.

I cook this on high for a couple hours and then shift to low for about 4 hours.  If I am going out I'll leave it on low the whole time but check when I come in to be sure it does not need to speed up at all.

No two stews are the same and nobody here complains (wouldn't do them much good anyway!)

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
So, you guys made me crave beef stew/soup.  I am trying to keep it very simple hoping that the kids will have it.  I can dream!  I would prefer some tomatoes in it, but they will not touch it if I do that.  So, I diced everything small, more like a soup, and used beef, onions, celery, and garlic, all tossed together in the bottom, with some seasonings and salt and pepper.  Layered above are carrots and 3 red potatoes, diced.  I added about 2 cups of bullion, made with 2 beef cubes, and 2tsp worcestershire sauce.  I figure I may have to add water or seasonings, later, depending on saltiness.  I went a bit heavy, so the meat and veggies get flavor, and have room to dilute later.  If it were up to me, I might add more veggies, like mushrooms, or even a simple bag of mixed frozen, but again, trying to entice the kids.  wish me luck. 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »
My project for this afternoon:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-and-cauliflower-chowder/

But as usual, I'm changing it up a bit.  I think it needs to be pureed, so I'll simmer for 1/2 hour until everything is tender, using water instead of veg broth (need to cut salt) and will jazz it up with some smoked paprika and hot sauce.  I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

GN - This rocks!!!  Well so my family tells me.  They loved it!  I'm lactose intolerant so I nibbled a couple veggies for a brief taste.  I used broth and paprika but did not puree it.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »
Tortilla soup is one of my favorite things to eat out at a Mexican restaurant--and is sometimes one of the few safe things I can eat.  Every time I order some I think that I need to make a vegetarian version for DS.  Well, this week I finally did.

2 poblanos, seeds and stuff removed, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
cumin (I grind my own, Baby!)
Box of No-Chicken Stock
1 can of Rotel
1 can of diced or crushed tomatoes
1 can of chiles
Some tomato paste (I used a tube)
Salt and pepper to taste
Lime
Frozen or canned corn
You could add drained, rinsed black beans, but I didn't
Avocado
Tortilla Chips (the Lime Tostitos would be awesome, but I used Restaurant Style)

In a soup pot , saute the poblano. Add the onion after a couple of minutes. Then add the garlic at some point.  Throw in the cumin.

Then add the tomatoes, Rotel, chiles, No-Chicken stock, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes or so. 

Squeeze one half lime into the soup at some point. 

Cut up an avocado shortly before serving for putting in the soup and garnish with tortilla chips and a lime wedge. 

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 04:50:10 PM »
As the weather warms up I'm craving Gazpacho, but I know my stomach will hate me for it.  :tongue:
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 07:31:39 PM »
Butternut squash soup made from leftovers:

Cubed squash
1 cubed potato (skin on)
2 carrots, 1 rib celery, 1 small onion, Clove garlic- all chopped
2 Tbsps. Olive oil
~5-6 cups broth or water
Salt, pepper and seasonings to taste

Sautée carrots, celery, garlic and onion for a few minutes, then add squash and potato. Add enough liquid to cover.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Allow to cool, then purée in blender. Add seasonings to taste, as soup is bland when plain. I added curry and garam masala, but hot sauce or paprika would be good as well.

DH loved it.
N.E. US