imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How to cook pork ribs with allergies in mind?  (Read 1653 times)

Description:

Offline TabiCat

How to cook pork ribs with allergies in mind?
« on: September 19, 2011, 02:12:06 PM »
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/17854

----------------------Content Copied--------------------------------------------

joshsmom
Posted: 01.24.2011 at 07:41:19    
My son is allergic to p/tn/sesame/flax. He wants to eat ribs so I got some, but I only make Chinese ones that I do not feed him. Any ideas?

Forgot to add that I do not feed him bbq sauce.

------------------------------
hezzier

Posted: 01.24.2011 at 09:01:18    
Do you use any bottled BBQ sauce? If not you can make your own.

-------------------
Stinky
 Posted: 01.24.2011 at 10:50:37    
I am about to make these...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.html

you would just have to find safe spices - but the main ones should be easy - brown sugar, salt, chili powder (you can make your own super easy)

-----------------------------------
joshsmom

Posted: 01.24.2011 at 12:05:15
Stinky that recipe looks wonderful but I do not have white wine right now, but will definetly try it soon. I did find this Kansas City bbq sauce recipe that I will try after I parboil them and then bake in the oven. Knowing my 6 yr old he wants them and then he won't eat them! Here is this easy bbq sauce recipe:

This is a rich, thick, tomato based Kansas City style barbecue sauce recipe. Adjust the heat by changing the amount of cayenne.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutesYield: Makes about 2 cups
Ingredients:
•1 cup ketchup
•1/4 cup water
•1/4 cup vinegar
•1/4 cup brown sugar
•3 tablespoons olive oil
•2 tablespoons paprika
•1 tablespoon chili powder
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•1 teaspoon cayenne
Preparation:
Heat oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and sauté until brown. Add remaining ingredients and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes until thickened.
----------------------------------
hezzier

Posted: 01.24.2011 at 01:47:12    
You can substitute apple cider for the white wine and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in that recipe.

joshsmom
Posted: 01.24.2011 at 02:42:07    
Thanks I will definetly try the apple cider vinegar for the wine. I have the ribs in the oven with the sauce I made. They smell so good, of course, my ds asked what stunk so bad. Guess he has decided not to eat it. I will try they other recipe next week
GoingNuts
 Posted: 01.24.2011 at 03:14:05    
I just do a low and slow (275 oven) with a spice rub, no sauce. Delicious.

I haven't made them in ages because they're so darned expensive, but now you've got me craving them. I may have to cave in and get some next week. Smiley

------------------------------
Posted: 01.24.2011 at 04:16:53    
01.24.2011 at 02:42:07, joshsmom wrote:
Thanks I will definetly try the apple cider vinegar for the wine. I have the ribs in the oven with the sauce I made. They smell so good, of course, my ds asked what stunk so bad. Guess he has decided not to eat it. I will try they other recipe next week Smiley

We tend to make huge amounts of ribs on the smoker and leftovers get frozen all the time!

Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline TabiCat

Re: How to cook pork ribs with allergies in mind?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 02:13:41 PM »
[ Guest ]haid39mom

Post Icon Posted: 09.16.2011 at 12:54:43    Edit Post
my son has milk, wheat,soy,nuts, allergy. I have made half this recipe in a crockpot/without soy/molasses and it was delicious (like a chinese pork in a can from my childhood).turn/mix ribs half thru.
Pomgranate Pork Ribs

5 pounds back ribs
1 TB kosher salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
16 oz bottle pomgranate juice
2/3 cup ketchup
1 TB molasses
1 TB Soy sauce
2 scallions white and green chopped
2 garlic cloves

Low 7-8 hours for 5 pounds meat
High 3.5 to 4 hours

Directions, season with salt/pepper. Charcoal--indirecgt med hot fire with drip pan center
Gas heat grill to med, turn off burners below where ribs go. Lightlyoil grate. Place rib over indirect heat over drip pan.close grill and cook til tender 1.5 to 2 hrs. maintain 325-350F
Bring pom juice to boil high heat reduced to 1/3 cup about 15 min, add ketchupmol,soy scal garlic, simmer, til thick 5 min
Then 20 minu cookig ribs, basket with sauce, done when pull away from bone.

Substitute 1/3 cup red curr jelly and 1 TB cider vinegar for the pom juice.
Serves 6

Recipe #2. use baby ray's bbq sauce /add water/crock ribs or add pulled pork to sauce. mama's lazy way. pretty much kids love sweet and savory ketchup.

Recipe #3: traditional white pork adobo. did not try yet.
Ingredients

1 cup water
2 pounds pork spareribs, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
Kosher salt
4 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
4 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded
5 whole cloves
5 unpeeled garlic cloves

Directions

Bring the water to a boil in a large heavy casserole. Season the spareribs with 2 teaspoons of salt. Add them to the casserole and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the water has evaporated and the ribs have rendered some of their fat, about 30 minutes. Continue to cook the ribs, turning occasionally, until browned and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Remove from the heat. Heat a medium cast-iron skillet or griddle. Add the ancho chiles and cook over moderate heat, pressing lightly with a wooden spoon, until pliable and slightly blistered, about 30 seconds per side. Add the chiles to the hot stock and let stand until softened, at least 20 minutes.
Scatter the cloves in the same skillet and cook until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Transfer to a plate to cool, then grind to a powder.
Scatter the garlic cloves in the skillet and cook over moderately low heat, turning, until softened throughout and browned in spots, about 15 minutes. Transfer the garlic to a plate and let cool slightly, then peel the cloves.
Transfer the ancho chiles and 2 cups of their broth to a blender. Add the ground cloves and the roasted garlic and puree until smooth.
Pour the ancho sauce and the remaining ancho broth over the ribs in the casserole and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Cover partially and simmer over moderately low heat until the meat is tender and the sauce has reduced to 2 cups, about 45 minutes. Season with salt and spoon off some of the fat from the sauce. Transfer the ribs and sauce to a deep platter and serve.

Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas