FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Recipes & Cooking

Soup Threads

<< < (3/7) > >>

becca:
So, you guys made me crave beef stew/soup.  I am trying to keep it very simple hoping that the kids will have it.  I can dream!  I would prefer some tomatoes in it, but they will not touch it if I do that.  So, I diced everything small, more like a soup, and used beef, onions, celery, and garlic, all tossed together in the bottom, with some seasonings and salt and pepper.  Layered above are carrots and 3 red potatoes, diced.  I added about 2 cups of bullion, made with 2 beef cubes, and 2tsp worcestershire sauce.  I figure I may have to add water or seasonings, later, depending on saltiness.  I went a bit heavy, so the meat and veggies get flavor, and have room to dilute later.  If it were up to me, I might add more veggies, like mushrooms, or even a simple bag of mixed frozen, but again, trying to entice the kids.  wish me luck. 

PurpleCat:

--- Quote from: GoingNuts on January 24, 2015, 12:58:34 PM ---My project for this afternoon:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/butternut-squash-and-cauliflower-chowder/

But as usual, I'm changing it up a bit.  I think it needs to be pureed, so I'll simmer for 1/2 hour until everything is tender, using water instead of veg broth (need to cut salt) and will jazz it up with some smoked paprika and hot sauce.  I'll let y'all know how it comes out.

--- End quote ---

GN - This rocks!!!  Well so my family tells me.  They loved it!  I'm lactose intolerant so I nibbled a couple veggies for a brief taste.  I used broth and paprika but did not puree it.

Macabre:
Tortilla soup is one of my favorite things to eat out at a Mexican restaurant--and is sometimes one of the few safe things I can eat.  Every time I order some I think that I need to make a vegetarian version for DS.  Well, this week I finally did.

2 poblanos, seeds and stuff removed, diced
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
cumin (I grind my own, Baby!)
Box of No-Chicken Stock
1 can of Rotel
1 can of diced or crushed tomatoes
1 can of chiles
Some tomato paste (I used a tube)
Salt and pepper to taste
Lime
Frozen or canned corn
You could add drained, rinsed black beans, but I didn't
Avocado
Tortilla Chips (the Lime Tostitos would be awesome, but I used Restaurant Style)

In a soup pot , saute the poblano. Add the onion after a couple of minutes. Then add the garlic at some point.  Throw in the cumin.

Then add the tomatoes, Rotel, chiles, No-Chicken stock, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes or so. 

Squeeze one half lime into the soup at some point. 

Cut up an avocado shortly before serving for putting in the soup and garnish with tortilla chips and a lime wedge. 

GoingNuts:
As the weather warms up I'm craving Gazpacho, but I know my stomach will hate me for it.  :tongue:

GoingNuts:
Butternut squash soup made from leftovers:

Cubed squash
1 cubed potato (skin on)
2 carrots, 1 rib celery, 1 small onion, Clove garlic- all chopped
2 Tbsps. Olive oil
~5-6 cups broth or water
Salt, pepper and seasonings to taste

Sautée carrots, celery, garlic and onion for a few minutes, then add squash and potato. Add enough liquid to cover.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 45 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Allow to cool, then purée in blender. Add seasonings to taste, as soup is bland when plain. I added curry and garam masala, but hot sauce or paprika would be good as well.

DH loved it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version