login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Nondairy milk  (Read 4799 times)

Description:

Milkallergymama

Nondairy milk
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:45:15 PM »
Hi. I am new and not sure of the rules of posting. I have a daughter who has anaphylaxis to dairy. She is also allergic to shellfish and all nuts. I have been trying to find her a safe milk but seems they all have shared lines with other allergens. Is there one which doesn't? Thanks in advance.

guess

Re: Nondairy milk
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
From what you wrote I'm guessing you want a drinking 1:1 replacement?  With our set of allergens I find I have to throw total avoidance out the window and pick the one least likely to kill.  I know dairy will do it, I don't want to mess with peanut but tree nuts are botanically diverse.  What I ended up choosing after asking about dairy, peanuts and tree nuts in the facility is Kikkoman PEARL soy milk in 32 oz. containers.  It's a shared line with almonds and coconut, both drupes not related to the other nuts.

I'm sure there are others but that's what I went with.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Nondairy milk
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
I have had hives from soy milks made on shared (and thoroughly washed) lines with almond, but my almond threshold is obnoxiously low.  If you find that you have to avoid shared lines completely, you may be out of luck. (Shared and thoroughly washed lines with dairy is okay for me, so we use Natura soy milk - they have never had a recall due to dairy, however.)  We have had success in making our own soy milk before, although it wasn't quite as good as store bought.  Homemade hemp seed milk was easier and tasted better.

For baking, we often opt for using applesauce in place of milk.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum