login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hiking into remote areas  (Read 3083 times)

Description:

Offline Mezzo

Hiking into remote areas
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:44:20 PM »
Would you risk hiking down to Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon with an anaphylactic allergy? Or other remote places where you won't have cell service, an ambulance, or quick medical assistance? People must. But it would take planning for food, and enough epis kept at the proper temperature.

guess

Re: Hiking into remote areas
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
We've been looking into something similar for the Hoh Rainforest, Crater Lake, Mount Ranier, Wolf Haven.  The plan is to know our air ambulance procedures, plans for financial management on being air lifted out, and communication devices like ham radio at least in the car or a repeater or booster for cell signal.  I bet Janelle would be the grandmaster SOAK on this and will be watching for her response.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 06:29:49 PM »
I would but would take these precautions:

--three Epis on FA child
--two Epis (or more) with each parent in case of any separation.
--everyone's food with you
--no one eats the allergic food 24 hours in advance (probably not a problem).
--still take cell phones (obviously) with chargers

Are there ranger spots along the way? I would map those out and also make sure FA child has a copy of a map with those spots on her person.

Wipes. Wet ones packets on person and on allergic child's person.

It may seem obvious, but this is why I add it:  on the day of DS' accident when we had to travel an hour to Charlottesville by ambulance, the EMT in the back with DS and me pulled out a PB cracker to give me because I hadn't eaten anything (I didn't ask for it--was not hungry). She had no wipes. I had a used wipe in a oacket.

DS' injury was in his mouth. It was her duty to reinsert something into his mouth ahoukd it fall out, reaching back into his mouth with her hands. I told her I had that job now, nor was she to remove the electrodes on his chest when we arrived at the hospital (which I had to give them directions to btw). Anyway--yes I had to remove things before they took him from the ambulance. Inept EMT! 

Anyway--yeah, wipes. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:39:45 PM »
It's not protocol for EMTs to wear disposable gloves?  Oh my gosh, I can't imagine the PA stress on top of the accident stress.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:48:41 PM »
I don't know, but she would have contaminated them while putting them on.

Anyway--wipes. Take wipes aplenty!  ;D
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 08:53:27 AM »
I consider that the food-allergic Hitchhiker's Guide item number 2, myself.  Forget the towel-- carry wipes.   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:42 PM »
I would bring a spot locator - most outdoor shops can tell you where to get one, and you an rent them from many places too.  This is a beacon that can be activated in emergency, is registered with local authorities, and will come with a response plan (or you can request one).  Some remote rescue organisations here will take down your information ahead of time (i.e. anaphylaxis) and tie it to your beacon number so they come prepared.

In all fairness, I would bring a spot locator on EVERY back country hiking trip where cell service is not available and EMS is not readily available.  (Regardless of health histories of people involved.)
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 06:07:03 AM »
I'm in Pennsylvania where rural = practically non existant/ laughable hospital facilities. Given our experiences while at "major" hospitals locally, I plan all hiking/camping by proximity to major hospital and cell service. And of course food, epis and wipes!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)