FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Message icon:

Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
How many standard vowels are in the English alphabet? Answer in numerical format.:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

By posting you acknowledge you are subject to our TOS, rules, and guidelines .

Topic Summary

Posted by: rebekahc
« on: June 15, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »

You're definitely not insane!!  It sounds like you're just super reactive right now - probably from whatever triggered the initial reaction and now your body is having trouble getting back to normal.  That has happened to me before, but usually my doctor will give me steroids to help.  Since you don't have those, it may take a bit longer and you may need to be super vigilant about triggers (both food and environmental) for a little longer.  I hope you're back to normal soon!
Posted by: Ciel
« on: June 15, 2018, 02:55:09 PM »

I did seem to have a reaction this morning that was pretty obvious cause and effect... strong perfume in my face when I was already pretty tight and cigarette smoke in the general vicinity. I panicked for a minute because I felt like I was completely obstructed, but calming down, getting off the bus and ventolin helped pretty quickly. And then another lovely lady who bathed in perfume this morning sat down next to me in the waiting room.  ~)

My doctor does think these were reactions. So far I have only been sick 3 times today. I ate once, this morning, but I am also managing to get a good amount of water in. Yay?

Iím going to skip the Imodium but I will try the benedryl before bed tonight.

It does seem reaction-y all things considered. Another unusual thing that happened while I was out that my sinus suddenly got very stuffy with the perfume, which is not unusual, but it was worse than usual. And when I went outside it got so much worse, it didnít feel like I was moving any air through there at all. They have cleared almost completely since Iíve been back inside and away from perfume, etc.. It was weird, Iím generally not very bothered by springtime pollen, but maybe compounded with everything else it got to me this time. I donít think it even very bad right now, most trees have leaves now and there wasnít any visible residue or anything. I have never experienced anything like this before. Iím so glad you guys are here to tell me Iím not completely insane!

Posted by: GoingNuts
« on: June 15, 2018, 10:57:28 AM »

Yes, keep us posted. 

Iíd say the asthma flare up is pretty suspicious. 
Posted by: rebekahc
« on: June 15, 2018, 09:51:22 AM »

Ugh, I'm sorry you're not feeling better, but I'm glad you were able to get in to see a doctor today.  Hopefully he'll have some suggestions for you.  I never take Immodium because it usually doesn't work for me or if it does work, it works way too well.  Are you perhaps continuing to have exposure to something you're allergic to?  Maybe even something you normally tolerate, but just can't right now?

Keep us posted on what the doctor says!  :grouphug:
Posted by: Ciel
« on: June 15, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »

Iím still not 100% better. I get hungry and Iím not otherwise nauseas, but my tummy still hurts a lot and when I eat itís pretty much still instant liquid or mostly liquid diarrhea. My chest/esophageal (?) pain has been very bad as well. Iím wondering if I should try some Imodium. Or Benadryl? My doctor doesnít work on Fridays but Iím seeing a different doctor this morning and Iím going to try and get her opinion. My asthma has been bothering me a bit more this past week too, and it had been under good control for a long while until now, which may be a total coincidence, but I am wondering about that as well.  :tongue:
Posted by: Ciel
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »

Ugh...itís just so frustrating that I never recognize what is happening while it is happening. I doubt myself and convince myself that itís not a reaction. My confusing test results donít line up with my reaction history and that makes it even easier to question my sanity.

This restaurant was a seriously bad choice. Lots of shrimp and peanuts everywhere. I didnít do any research or ask any questions or look up the menu in advance. Iím finding it hard to care anymore.

I forgot that a long delay of up to 8 hours is possible. That fits here. This would have been cross contamination, I am 100% certain I did not eat anything overtly containing pn, tn or shellfish. I donít feel otherwise ill, nothing like when I had norovirus last year. It seems to be getting better this evening and hopefully things will continue to improve from here.

Thanks for the feedback.
Posted by: rebekahc
« on: June 13, 2018, 01:05:52 PM »

I agree that there's a good chance it was reactions.  The second could have been worse because you were primed to react from the first exposure.

When I was a kid, my cross-contact reactions were often delayed gut reactions.  The delay for me was usually 4-8 hours.  I can typically tell the difference between a GI reaction and a bug by the way I feel.  Usually with the GI reactions, I don't feel too bad other than the gut pain, etc. and once it's out of my system I feel pretty fine.  With a bug, I'll usually feel bad somewhere else, too - headache, fever, body aches, etc. and that lasts after the initial vomiting subsides.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My guess would be that the second one for you was prolonged because you were hyper-sensitive from the first or it's possible you could have contracted a bug on top of the reaction since your GI system was already compromised.

I bet our members would be happy to help you brainstorm specific common denominators to your reactions and ways to eat more safely.

I hope you're feeling better.  :heart:
Posted by: spacecanada
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »

The problem with GI stuff is that it can be caused by so many things, from stress and anxiety to rich/fatty/spicy food or anything else, not just allergies. I hate GI symptoms for this reason and sorry to hear you had such a terrible experience. I am glad you are ok now!. However, I agree with Mac that the second one sounds like a reaction because of the other symptoms - and good for you for recognizing it, even after the fact.

I have had delayed reactions before, but only 15-30 minutes or so, and there were likely earlier symptoms I missed or dismissed. Intolerance reactions (typically GI) are often delayed more, and maybe that could be compounding the issue.  Or, your body is just going haywire after a reaction and needs time to settle. It can take me a week for everything to return to normal after a reaction.  You may want to try very simple foods, probiotics and diluted electrolytes to help. But, if you have diarrhea for more than a day or two please see a doctor!

No judgement here either. We have to live our lives and, despite best efforts, things don't go as planned. Be kind to yourself.
Posted by: Macabre
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:32 PM »

Though I did have a really nasty stomach virus a few months ago. It didnít affect DH as bad. But for me, it was the first time Iíd experienced vomiting in years and years. And the other endówell, it was a nightmare.

Itís just that you had other symptoms that would make me think reaction.
Posted by: Macabre
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »

Ciel, I would interpret the last one as a reaction for sure and in light of that, likely the first was.

You get no judgement from me! I eat in restaurants where they serve my allergens. Itís jist that I avoid the restaurant if they serve a ton of my allergensóif the balance of their menu could kill me OR the kitchen is so tiny and XC would be difficult to avoid OR they donít have practices that would keep me safe OR they don't get it.

My shrimp reactions are delayed two hours almost without fail. They are chiefly GI. And they last a while.

But even sesame reactions can be protracted for me.  My ana sesame reaction in 2012 gave me uterine contractions for days.

If I were you, I would probably just avoid this restaurant. It sounds like a difficult place for you to be safe.

Hugs, though. Iím sorry you experienced this! You okay now?
Posted by: Ciel
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »

I donít think it was because both times it was delayed and prolonged, but I donít know and question if maybe it could have been.

I also donít want to admit to this series of very bad decisions, so judge if you must, I know how stupid I was and I am angry with myself, but please be gentle because I would prefer not to be reminded 100 times how this was irresponsible on my part.

Scenario 1: went out for lunch with my mother and sister. I was okay while in the restaurant and during the meal. The restaurant does serve my allergens and I knew it was a risk and knew I should have declined the invitation, but I went anyway. The next three days my GI system was a disaster. It was so delayed that I didnít think it was a reaction and assumed it was a bug or something else.

Scenario 2: went out for dinner at the same place on Sunday. The dinner menu is very different and there wasnít really anything I could eat. I did eat three steamed pork buns (that Iíd had the last time), and some rice noodles with some beef and vegetables. While eating my face got a little bit itchy and my stomach started hurting. I stopped eating and spent some time in the bathroom, iykwim. My face was not red, not flushed, no hives, just slightly itchy. I didnít think it was a reaction but now Iím wondering if itís possible that it was. My GI system is a disaster once again. Since Sunday evening I basically canít eat or drink anything without explosive consequences (literally, ugh). Not even water. Monday was severe diarrhea all day, and I threw up a shocking amount of mucus once in the evening. It was better yesterday morning as long as I didnít try to eat or drink, but the afternoon/evening was more severe diarrhea which continues today. I donít know where it is coming from since Iím not eating anything. Itís just the liquid I'm trying to drink to stay hydrated, literally going in one end and out the other. Iím so sorry for these visuals! It sounds like a bug, but I have doubts, too. Both times it has been so severe that my skin ends up raw, burned and bleeding.

I need to figure out how to prevent these episodes or know to treat them if they are allergic in nature. At the moment I have no desire to eat in a restaurant ever again. This happens frequently, especially often if I try to eat out (which I almost always regret), and it happens when I am very careful too. It just seems bizarre that one person would have that many GI bugs in one month, every month. Especially when no one else gets sick.