login
Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!


Post reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
Name:
Email:
Subject:
Message icon:

Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell allergy backwards:
Three siblings have blue eyes.  Their names are Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color are the sister's eyes?:

shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview

By posting you acknowledge you are subject to our TOS, rules, and guidelines .


Topic Summary

Posted by: GoingNuts
« on: July 18, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »

Megyn just scored big points with me.   That was a terrific segment, and I seriously appreciate that they did it. 
Posted by: my3guys
« on: July 17, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »

https://www.today.com/video/15-year-old-has-fatal-allergic-reaction-to-peanuts-megyn-kelly-roundtable-1279190083910

Good panel discussion about this. Megyn Kelly admitted she was sometimes annoyed by food restrictions given by school, but she realized this is a good reminder that one child's desire for peanut butter doesn't supercede a child's right to live. Yep, I cried.
Posted by: Macabre
« on: July 14, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »

This was posted by Alexi’s family on FB:

Our hearts are broken and we are still in shock. Our whole lives we dedicated to keeping our child safe from one ingredient, peanuts.

On Monday June 25, our 15 year old daughter, Alexi Ryann Stafford, while at a friends house, made a fatal choice. There was an open package of Chips Ahoy cookies, the top flap of the package was pulled back and the packaging was too similar to what we had previously deemed “safe” to her. She ate one cookie of chewy Chips Ahoy thinking it was safe because of the “red” packaging, only to find out too late that there was an added ingredient.... Reese peanut butter cups/chips. She started feeling tingling in her mouth and came straight home. Her condition rapidly deteriorated. She went into Anaphylactic shock, stopped breathing and went unconscious. We administered 2 epi pens while she was conscious and waited on paramedics for what felt like an eternity.

She died within 1& 1/2  hour of eating the cookie.
As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was okay to ingest and what was not, I feel lost and angry because she knew her limits and was aware of familiar packaging, she knew what  “safe” was. A small added indication on the pulled back flap on a familiar red package wasn’t enough to call out to her that there was “peanut product”  in the cookies before it was too late. I want to share our story with everyone because we want to spread awareness. The company has different colored packaging to indicate chunky, chewy, or regular but NO screaming warnings about such a fatal ingredient to many people. Especially children.

It’s important to us to spread awareness so that this horrible mistake doesn’t happen again.

Please share
Posted by: candyguru
« on: July 02, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »

Posted by: ctmartin
« on: July 01, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »


and another ... https://www.gofundme.com/in-memory-of-max-mcglinchey

can't ... handle ... this ....
Posted by: PurpleCat
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »

 :-[
Posted by: ctmartin
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »


I have read in one source, but it was not yet confirmed by the family, that she had eaten a chips ahoy cookie that contained peanut chips rather than chocolate.  So devastating  :'(
Posted by: candyguru
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:05:19 PM »

Ugh, I know.  I’d love to know what she ate.  That poor family.   :'(

It mentioned there was peanut butter in something she ate. Maybe a cookie... chili... sandwich... mole sauce...  so many risky items.

This is very tragic and sad... 
Posted by: GoingNuts
« on: June 30, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »

Ugh, I know.  I’d love to know what she ate.  That poor family.   :'(