Dye Allergies? or Stomach Disorder? or Both?

Started by my3guys, January 20, 2012, 07:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

my3guys

Thanks Caitlin! I'll definitely take a look. His appointment is in 2 weeks, I'll bring everyone's information and see where we land.  I appreciate all the extra brain support! 

He had another minor incident yesterday :-/ Again, he'd had some candy with dye.  I made his steer clear of red.  No more things with dye for him, which isn't world ending by any stretch...but no more gatorade, or candy at all since he can't eat chocolate any more. Food can be highly annoying at times! :rant:

YouKnowWho

Food is annoying.

Can he have Yummy Earth Organic candies - they have a variety of lollipops, gummy bears and candy disks that are colored with veggie juices. 

Most of the other candy options I am thinking of however are chocolate from the UK but they tend to be colored with veggies and not insanely colored like our candies here in the US.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

my3guys

I'll look at those candies, YKW, thanks.

Thoroughly confused and wound up at the moment.  At a friend's house, he had a whole gatorade with no problem a few days ago. And he had another intense incident of sudden nausea yesterday, with no offending foods I can pinpoint.  He vomited for the first time with the nausea.  This morning he's fine, so I don't think it was a virus.  He was doing great for 10 months, and now just this month, he's had three episodes.  This doctor's appt can't come fast enough!

Carefulmom

my3guys

Thanks for checking Carefulmom.  We had his appt yesterday.  His doctor thinks these episodes are dehydration.  Apparently, kids with functional dyspepsia can get dehydrated easily, and feel more severe symptoms from it.  So for the next two weeks, he's to drink alot of water, eat some salty foods, which help retain water, and see how he does.  If he's not doing well, then he may change anti-nausea medication or run some tests or both.  The good thing about this doctor is that he really seems to know his stuff, believes everything we tell him, and is confident in his answers, so is very reassuring.  And I'm happy we already have a plan B if he's still struggling in a few weeks.  I went round and round with his pediatrician and other GI docs before him, so his approach is quite refreshing.  Fingers crossed that it's as simple as drinking more water.

Carefulmom

That would be great if that is all that is.  With other kids with allergies, it would be normal to expect the worst.  Keep us posted....

rebekahc

Glad to hear you have a plan with back-up.  Sounds like you've got a great doctor as well!  :thumbsup:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview