Compiling a Master Grocery List

Started by booandbrimom, May 08, 2012, 09:07:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

booandbrimom

As we're starting to think about pushing the fledgling from the nest, one of the things on my "to do" list has been to compile a list of EVERYTHING we shop for that is (currently) safe.

Has anyone ever done this? Are there any tools, other than Excel, to make this easier? I thought of this because I saw this item on the "Never Buy This For Mother's Day" list:

http://www.amazon.com/SmartShopper-SS-301-Voice-Recognition-Grocery-List-Organizer/dp/B00375MP9O

...and thought "how cool is that?" However, what I really want is something that will scan product bar codes and enter information automatically into a spreadsheet.

Anyone? Anyone? (Mods, feel free to move this to cooking if more appropriate - I couldn't decide.)
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

SilverLining

I once hand wrote a four or five page list of products for a friend who's son was diagnosed with peanut and sesame seed allergy.  (Unfortunately, though she did say thank you, she didn't really appreciate it and felt avoiding trace amounts for a child who had obvious reactions from smelling pb or from heating sesame in the toaster, was such a waste of her time.  :-/ )

Anyway....have you checked if there's an app for whatyou want?

rebekahc

I did a cursory search (iPhone app store) last night and found a few apps that might work. 

I first just searched "grocery list".  Grocery IQ (free) seemed to be the most popular that included a bar code feature, but it doesn't allow for manual bar code additions that aren't in their database.  It does allow you to share your master list online with others, though. 

There were two (low cost) that popped up when I searched "grocery list bar code" that seemed less polished, but perhaps more useable for your needs - WychList and Supermarket Companion - which both include an image of the item as well as manual entry capabilities.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

AllergyMum

Since ingredients change so often would it not be easier to make them learn to read the ingredients off food packages for themselves. Take them along shopping with you and make them read it for themselves or you can read to them and say some fake ingredients that they are allergic to keep them on their toes about it.

My fear with a data base would be that if an ingredient changed they might still buy without looking at the ingredient list since it is on a safe list.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

CMdeux

We have a (mental) list of "trusted" manufacturers, and we have a list of "UN-trusted" ones.  These lists are (obviously) highly personal and depend heavily on the nature and identity of specific allergens.  I mention that because I know at least one other member here who has a "safe" company which we personally have on our "un-trustworthy" list; the difference is sesame and policies about cleaned lines.

Both lists are pretty short, and DD knows how to investigate safety with items that are not on either list.  I've had her make a few manufacturer phone calls over the past year or so.  I really recommend that when our teens are 12-14 yo; it's a crucial life-skill as much as understanding how to drive, vote, or get a haircut.

I'd think, Boo, that an app like those Reb mentions is good, but probably not enough in isolation.

I plan to put together a BINDER for DD which includes contact info for a series of companies (probably 15-20 or so, with instructions on how to search out contact info using the web), commando-dining options (that is, how to put together nutritionally adequate meals WITHOUT contacting manufacturers or using anything more than a hotel microwave or hot-pot), a list of particularly "low-risk" foods, and a list of particularly HIGH risk ones.

A list of questions to ask of manufacturers during phone calls.

A list of questions and suggested wording for use at restaurants.

A set of VERY simple recipes that rely mostly on unprocessed foods, and a short shopping list for each of them, along with a one week 'meal plan' rotation and necessary grocery list. 

The latter seems to be along the same lines as what you're thinking, right?
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Ra3chel

Quote from: CMdeux on May 09, 2012, 11:47:14 AM
I plan to put together a BINDER for DD which includes contact info for a series of companies (probably 15-20 or so, with instructions on how to search out contact info using the web), commando-dining options (that is, how to put together nutritionally adequate meals WITHOUT contacting manufacturers or using anything more than a hotel microwave or hot-pot), a list of particularly "low-risk" foods, and a list of particularly HIGH risk ones.

A list of questions to ask of manufacturers during phone calls.

A list of questions and suggested wording for use at restaurants.

A set of VERY simple recipes that rely mostly on unprocessed foods, and a short shopping list for each of them, along with a one week 'meal plan' rotation and necessary grocery list. 

Would you consider posting that here or elsewhere online as well? That would be an amazing resource.
Also: Have we considered a stickied thread / shared doc of manufacturer contact info?
The 3 is silent.

SilverLining

Quote from: AllergyMum on May 09, 2012, 11:31:53 AM
Since ingredients change so often would it not be easier to make them learn to read the ingredients off food packages for themselves. Take them along shopping with you and make them read it for themselves or you can read to them and say some fake ingredients that they are allergic to keep them on their toes about it.

My fear with a data base would be that if an ingredient changed they might still buy without looking at the ingredient list since it is on a safe list.

I think what boo is looking for is in addition to, not instead of.  Just a bit of a starting point.

nameless

Quote from: AllergyMum on May 09, 2012, 11:31:53 AM

I can whole-heartedly agree with this. If the soon-from-nest person hasn't been out reading food labels at the grocery store --- it's a habit to get into quickly. This is coming my past 18 years living on my own w/ severe food allergies. Every label, every time. It takes me longer to go food shopping than my friends. Pain-in-the--ss really, but necessary and not to be skipped. It's part of the fabric of who I am :)

It is nice to have a starter list though --- brands to look for first off the shelf, and then read the label. Otherwise - it is very overwhelming, very overwhelming indeed. Just can't get lax about it is all -- something to drill into your young adult's head. I personally like that I have a procedure at the store to read labels --- every label every time --- b/c then once it hits home and in my cupboard/fridge, I don't have to worry about it. I don't read labels a second time once I'm home. It's nice to not have to think about it, b/c I was thorough in the first place. Just something that works for me after many many many years at this.

Good luck! Unfortunately I don't have any grocery apps to recommend.
Adrienne :)
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

ajasfolks2

We are currently in the process of turning our mental lists into paper lists.

Will use a binder (as we once did, but it is outdated), most likely for starters.

Then was going to just use MSWord (fairly easy to keep up for us).  Hadn't even considered Excel (I'm not fluent there) . . .

and yes, some sort of App would be nice too.

But for us, we're starting the way of the cavemen:

with paper and pencil.  (HA!  Guess I could have had the kids start out on it using charcoal and sidewalk?)

This is one of our homeschool projects as part of "life skills".   ;)

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Mfamom

You guys are way more organized than I am
I just read labels and have some mental notes about certain food/manufacturers. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

CMdeux

Well, that's what most of US have done for years, too, I suspect.  It's just that now that it's time to start handing things over to our adolescents, we suddenly are realizing that our kids may have only a sort of nebulous sense of HOW we do all those things for them.  KWIM?

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

The binder thing for us seems to be good way to start.  Where we shop there are lots of families in the stores -- and there is little "not cool" factor to deal with, so that helps.

The binder thing is a way to have our kids take a short grocery list (for starters) and use the binder to accomplish the list.  For us we have the luxury of using military commissary, so I can really turn kids loose in the store to some extent and keep tabs fairly easily.  Not sure how this will work on Wegman's (shudder!) for us.  Step-by-step is how we'll accomplish.

Since I don't even own a smart phone yet, the whole app thing is not in play for us now.

It may be that a "cheat sheet" that is easy to pull out of a purse or pocket/wallet would be good idea.  If list can be short enough, then a laminated card.  This is all so individual, though as to which allergens to avoid, manufacturers available, and region/nation.

"Shop Card" vs "Chef Card"  -- KWIM?

ajasfolks2

OH MY STARS!!!!

I just came up with a great (I think) idea for this!!

These are trademarked, FYI.

http://www.theflippers.biz/index.php?p=catalog&parent=5&pg=1

We had discovered their products these past few months for study needs and aids.  (There is a FIRST AID one, FYI.)

You can get the pre-made, laminated flipper and then write it up yourself.  Not hard to update unless tons of new allergens added to your life.

I think this product, or something similar, might work for a NONdigital form. 

CMdeux

Western U.S.

yelloww

CM, I'd pay you to make that binder for us went the time comes!!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview