Cracked Article

Started by Astyas, June 18, 2012, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astyas

Cracked.com is one of the internet's leading humor sites and is good for an occasional lol and a healthy dose of learning something new every day. Some of the articles are a hands down pass, but others can be pretty funny.

Except this one. The article berates food bans in schools and approaches food allergies in an uneducated and malicious way while begging off with a thin veneer of sympathy.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-biggest-pussifications-schools/

SilverLining

I didn't realize the site is known for humour.  I'd never heard of it before.

Astyas

From what I understand, the site was originally based around a magazine similar to "Mad".  Alexa ranks it as the 300 most popular sites in the US. 

GoingNuts

My son loves that website.

Yeah, whatever.  ~)  :tongue:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

booandbrimom

Just wrote a blog article about how food allergies have become polarized. Unfortunately, the polarization is on both sides.

I didn't think this was funny...but I also didn't think it was that wrong. Food bans have been overused. Now there's a backlash. Should we be surprised?
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

CMdeux

No-- but bear in mind that not all the time is a ban even the idea of parents of allergic kids.  There are organizers, administrators, and teachers that automatically assume that is the best way of handling food allergic children.  I have seen the shift from parents wanting bans toward OTHERS imposing them over the past decade.  Often this is the de facto means of handling FA  (well, okay-- PEANUT allergy) in kids now.

The irony, at least as far as I've seen it over the past ten years or so, is that relatively FEW parents of kids with truly obscene sensitivity (that is, those who probably DO at times actually need a ban) will ever ask for one.  Most people who are asking for (or, more likely-- OFFERING) a ban aren't doing so for those reasons, though. 

People who NEED bans aren't seeking 'peace of mind' with them-- they are seeking really basic safety.  With individuals like that, there IS no false sense of security-- anywhere. 

Honestly, people who are looking for "extra peace of mind" with a ban probably aren't seeking one for the right reasons.  JMO, of course-- but understand that I say this having BTDT a lot of times over the years.   

It's just SO seldom successful to tell other people WHAT they can/cannot eat.  Far, far, FAR better to restrict the when and where.  If that isn't sufficient, frankly, you're going to have to expect trouble from others.  Period.  The only other real option you have is opting OUT from the get-go.  And yes, this is what my family chooses to do.  My DD knows full well that if she restricts other people, she can expect them to be occasionally pretty ugly about it.  Sometimes that is the way it MUST be.  But mostly not-- mostly we have 'choices' about participating... or... not.  Life sucks that way, but that is what it is.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview