FDA approves auvi-Q (epinephrine auto injecter)

Started by SilverLining, August 13, 2012, 10:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoingNuts

Looking forward to this, though I still can't imagine carrying both in a pants pocket.  But maybe one there, and another one in a jacket or back pack?  Dunno, but I love the voice directions.  Time will tell.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

twinturbo

This is from one of the parent blogs from the Sanofi Auvi-q summit. Got to run errands so sticking it here for later.

QuoteThe program began with a talk by Dr. John Oppenheimer, formerly of National Jewish in Denver and currently in private practice in New Jersey as well as Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and Associate Editor of the Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.

Several things he said stood out. One was to cite a subject we have written about hereā€”the misunderstanding of anaphylaxis by emergency department doctors. A second was the remarkable growth of exercise-induced anaphylaxis. A third was that he specifically cautions against administration of Benadryl as a first resort because the sedative effects can mask the onset of more serious symptoms like plunging blood pressure. And finally his observation that allergy practice frequently seems more like a matter of "risk management" than a healing art, or words to that effect. I hope to get Dr. Oppenheimer to write for us soon.

twinturbo

I just called Sam's Club pharmacy it's in their system and they can get me a twinpack for each of the kids in junior strength by tomorrow. We'll see how fast the allergist's office can get the prescription in.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

CMdeux

Wow-- THANK YOU, Mac!!

I would love to be able to carry a pair of these with us to Europe-- and they will up our epinephrine supply without costing me $200, hopefully.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

MandCmama

OOOH! Our pharmacist is ordering them in for me.  Curious to see if it would be less cumbersome for M to self carry... He gets uncomfortable in  the car...Not happy that my co pay is double that of the epi pen, but can't complain since it's still a fraction of what some of you have to shell out  :hiding:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

twinturbo

You should let Intelliject know that insurance makes you pay double.

PurpleCat

DD and I played with the trainer today at her allergist appointment.  It is way cool!  DD likes it and I agree, much easier to carry.

Having just given an EPI, this new style is very easy and when you are stressed in the moment...the verbal instructions will be helpful and I like the chime at the end so you can be sure it was in long enough.  Not to mention, only 5 seconds instead of 10.

Now we have to wait and see what the insurance companies decide as far as what they will and will not cover.  We are hoping ours will cover and DD can carry this for High School next year!

CMdeux

DD has announced that she wants an Auvi-Q for Valentine's Day.  :heart:  (Awwwww)

Given that she tends to have cardiovascular symptoms when anaphylaxing, this seems especially appropriate. :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hedgehog

I like this line:

It will doubtlessly spawn a cottage industry in carrying cases, but my personal favorite (betraying my age) would be to roll it up in the sleeve of a tee shirt a la James Dean when cigarettes were cool.

Of course, love old movies, and James Dean.  :yes:
USA

yelloww

I was far too excited when I received the email about this today!!!!

MandCmama

Speaking of far too excited- I have them in my hot little hands right now! Thank yo so much for posting the link to the coupon mc! I'm headed over to Ms school in a bit  the nurses are just about as a twitter about it as I am.  The pouch that goes with him from class to class will still contain std epis, but this one will be on his person ( for transport times and oops moments).
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview