Virus hitting kids in the midwest hard

Started by hezzier, September 07, 2014, 08:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hezzier

Janelle205

Thanks for posting this.  I wasn't sure if my coughing and flare right now was still fallout from my attack on Wednesday or something else.  Calling the doc tomorrow to get checked out.

YouKnowWho

Quote from: SilverLining on September 07, 2014, 09:00:27 PM
Why just kids? That seems so odd.

Wondering if more of that has to do with kids just being gross and in close quarters like school. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Macabre

Thank you. I hadn't heard about it. We were wondering earlier tonight whether this is ragweed or a cold for DS. I will keep an eye on him.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

PurpleCat

Mfamom

I'm actually a little worried.  My ds asthma is always aggravated when he's sick.  I was reading about it earlier today and cannot imagine what a virus like this would do to him. 
Of course, he came home from school, passed out on the couch, went to 3 hour practice and came home saying he's not hungry (not normal), then announces that he thinks he's getting sick. 
Runny nose, breathing not so great.  Praying its "just a cold"
The other thing is that I cannot believe how many times my ds has been sick since going to HS.  Every year, beginning of school, he's been sick! 
I don't know if the building isn't being cleaned well or what!!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

momma2boys

This really scares me too. Both my boys at separate times had a pertussis like illness with long lasting cough. Ds2 missed like 23 days of school with it! It was absolutely awful. I fear it would hit him hard because he had rsv as a baby and then constant croup and pneumonia besides that virus.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

ajasfolks2

Is there test to determine if what a child has is THIS virus?  Nevermind -- yes, I see now that there is possible culturing of nasal and throat swabs, but I'd guess that by the time it grew & confirmed, it'd be best to treat as though it is and conservatively treat esp for asthmatics and others with respiratory issues.

We've had 1 kiddo sick . . . he seems on the mend . . . but have DD sick now & she is sicker and often gets things worse so far as respiratory illnesses.

We flew through Midwest (sat in Denver for hours) late August.  Not a stretch to think kids might have gotten something that way . . . but don't know what incubation period is for this thing.  Did see the virus can live on surfaces a long time.  Perfect.

Adding: Enterovirus D68 is name

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

Ajas will you take her to the doc?  It seems for public health reasons it would be good for the cdc to be aware if it is.

Also, if it is, then you can scratch it off the list of things to worry about this fall, yk?

ajasfolks2

Unless I see significant downgrade in her condition, I won't take to the doc.  Her doc is pediatrician and eventhough they have separate waiting areas for well vs sick, there are way too many babies in that practice for me to bring my DD's germs into the office.

If I have to sleep with her, I will to be sure her breathing is OK . . . but if I'm even thinking that way about her situation, then I already should have taken her for medical care.  We're not there yet.  She's not there yet.

Have been thinking about who to take her to if I must, and would likely drive 25 minutes to the ER with her.  DH is away, but son can stay on his own at night and get himself to school on bus.

ajasfolks2

Mac,  also, I am not sure the doc/ER would even do swab to verify . . . may be too cost prohibitive and we have Tricare, which is the lowest paying coverage so far as the reimbursement and what is allowed to be done, based on diagnosis.  Hard to know.

Sure would be interesting to know the details as to WHEN a medical provider is compelled to test for something such as that.

Anyone know?

Macabre

It's in NoVa.

I'm guessing it's actually most everywhere.

Have I posted how comforted I am by the fact that we have a Nebby and Epi?  There are two time in the last few years I almost epid myself during bronchitis (one was was the result of H1N1) when I could barely breathe. (I used to get Epi for bad asthma attacks in the ER as a child--at least once a year).

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview