FAFH-2 Question

Started by forvictoria, September 12, 2014, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

Shrimp is known for having a lot of antihistamines. You can have a response to shrimp that iis not an allergic rreaction to shrimp.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

forvictoria

Quote from: LinksEtc on September 26, 2014, 06:06:48 PM
Quote from: forvictoria on September 26, 2014, 05:06:16 PM
well. I took the IGE Blood tests Dr Li wanted and just got the results back, I am quite in shock, everything that was tested came back normal, including Shrimp, cockroach and dust mites  ??? I have 7 prior different IGE test showing I am allergic to shrimp, cockroaches and dust mites and broke out in full body hives from 1 shrimp.

I am waiting for the allergist to call to go over the results, I have no idea what to think of this and how can I send these results to Dr Li and wanting to start taking FAHF-2..
My total IGE was 24 it has never been that low, I just don't know what to think

Any input on this? is this common when you are allergic to have results come back <.35 in the things you are allergic too??

It is definitely possible to be allergic and have results come back <.35.  This happened to my dd for several years ... although her last sesame blood test was positive.

An expert allergist will be able to interpret the big picture by taking everything into account ... testing (blood/skin) & a careful history (ex - when and what your reactions were like).  If they think there's a reasonable chance that the allergy has resolved, they might offer you an oral food challenge.

Just take things step by step ... share all the info with your allergist & Dr. Li ... they should hopefully be able to guide you through this. 

Don't go into this thinking that you have to get FAHF ... work with the docs and be willing to change course as necessary.

Thank you. That is good advice and good to know the tests can come back negative even if one is still allergic. I hope my doctor calls soon. I will post what he says.

forvictoria

Quote from: Macabre on September 26, 2014, 06:07:19 PM
Shrimp is known for having a lot of antihistamines. You can have a response to shrimp that iis not an allergic rreaction to shrimp.

Thank you that is good to know. Is there any way to tell the difference?

CMdeux

Not really-- some people are idiopathically hypersensitive to histamines.  Anecdotally, one of the ways that this seems to crop up in families is dietary triggers for migraine.

(Cheeses, chocolates, that kind of thing.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

forvictoria

Quote from: CMdeux on September 26, 2014, 06:49:10 PM
Not really-- some people are idiopathically hypersensitive to histamines.  Anecdotally, one of the ways that this seems to crop up in families is dietary triggers for migraine.

(Cheeses, chocolates, that kind of thing.)
wow interesting because I have Meniere's and MAV migraine associated vertigo (but do not get headaches which is common with MAV) and MAV foods like the ones you mentioned definitely are a trigger for me and set off vertigo and feeling unbalanced)

In fact when I was filling out Dr Li's medical forms it was the first time in my life I saw a medical form list Meniere's with a  check box, usually I have to write it in under other

I spoke with my allergist and he said it did not surprise him the results came back normal, he reminded me how he felt that these blood tests are not the right tests for me, not strong enough because when I saw him he said all my other results were just slightly above normal but the pictures of my whole body hives tell a different story ( I took pictures when it happened 3 years ago)

He says I am atypical (story of my life :( )and should go to Mt Sinai where I would get better answers of what is going on with me. He also feels pursuing FAHF-2 with Dr Li is good for me since I am so stressed about my allergen since it first happened.

I will send Dr Li all my previous blood work and pictures of the hives along with these latest results.

LinksEtc

Quote from: forvictoria on September 26, 2014, 07:08:22 PM
He says I am atypical (story of my life :( )and should go to Mt Sinai where I would get better answers of what is going on with me. He also feels pursuing FAHF-2 with Dr Li is good for me since I am so stressed about my allergen since it first happened.

I will send Dr Li all my previous blood work and pictures of the hives along with these latest results.

Make sure to communicate with her that you would like her to become your main/only allergist (if that is, in fact, what you want).   :yes:

I have heard many good things about her so I am hopeful that she will take good care of you.   :heart:

forvictoria

Thank you very much. I will and I hope so too. I will keep you all updated, :heart:

LinksEtc

Quote from: forvictoria on September 20, 2014, 10:12:59 AM
Oh almost forgot Dr Li is outside all insurance so all my visits to her and any herbal meds will be out of my pocket, Her office visit is not cheap :( but so worth it if this all works out.

Is it just the FAHF that wouldn't be covered by insurance or is Dr. Li herself out of your network?  Is Mount Sinai in your network / covered by insurance?

forvictoria

Quote from: LinksEtc on September 26, 2014, 07:32:13 PM

Is it just the FAHF that wouldn't be covered by insurance or is Dr. Li herself out of your network?  Is Mount Sinai in your network / covered by insurance?

I asked Dr Li's assistant what insurance she takes and her answer was Dr. Li is outside all health insurance. But Mt Sinai is in my health insurance's network.
also the FAHF-2 is not covered

forvictoria

My Appointment with Dr. Li is Nov 22nd  :)

Pat

Hi, which Chinese doc did you see for food allergy in Ny? My great niece hAs severe food allergy . She always has Epi pen with her

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview