Peanut: Cumin Recall (The Big Thread)

Started by Macabre, January 10, 2015, 10:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CMdeux

The number of things added just in the last few hours-- to the USDA list is boggling my mind.  It's hard to keep up with it.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2015

I know that some of those aren't on our current list in this thread-- nor do they have threads of their own. 

Kabob's chicken and beef products

Kabob's Acquisition Inc., a Lake City, Ga. establishment, is recalling approximately 869 pounds of beef and chicken products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The products may contain peanuts, known allergens, which are not declared on the label.

The following items, produced on various dates from November 13, 2014 to January 15, 2015, are subject to recall: [Labels (PDF Only)]

Cases containing shrink wrapped plastic trays of 100  "Kabob's Chipotle Steak Churrasco 1053"
    Cases containing shrink wrapped plastic trays of 100 "Kabob's Latin Inspired Chicken and Cheese in Pastry 7172"
    Cases containing shrink wrapped plastic trays of 100 "Kabob's White Chicken Meat for Tandoori (Made in USA) 2415"
    Cases containing shrink wrapped plastic trays of 100 "Kabob's Beef Pastelitos 7159"

The products subject to recall bear the establishment number "EST. 6640" or "P-6640" inside the USDA mark of inspection, and were shipped to distribution centers in Florida, Georgia, Maryland, New York, Oklahoma, and Texas for shipment to catering firms.                                 

Buffalo Provisions of NY-- chorizo products

Buffalo Provisions, a Bronx, N.Y. establishment, is recalling approximately 48,210 pounds of chorizo product due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The products may contain peanuts, a known allergen which is not declared on the product label.

The following items subject to recall were produced on various dates between October 9 and January 15, 2015:  [Labels (PDF Only)]

12-oz. vacuum packages of "Brooklyn Cured Chicken Chorizo" with sell by date "2/13/15"
    14-oz. and 5-lb. vacuum packages of "La Centro Americana Chorizo Salvadoreno" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of "La Centro Americana Chorizo Salvadoreno" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    20-lb. loose butcher packages of "El Casero Mexican Longaniza" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    14-oz. of vacuum packages of "El Casero Longaniza" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Poblano" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    5-lb. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Poblano" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    5-lb. vacuum packages of "El Casero Spanish Chorizo" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of 'El Casero Chorizo Ecuadoriano" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    5-lb. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Colombian" with sell by date "2/9/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Colombian" with sell by date "2/9/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of "La Centro Americana Colombian Chorizo Hondureno" with sell by date "2/9/15" 
    5-lb. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Jalapeno" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Picoso" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    16-oz. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Jalapeno" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    10 lbs. vacuum packages of "El Casero Chorizo Jalapeno" with sell by date "1/20/15"
    14-oz. vacuum packages of "La Centro Americana Chorizo Picante Mexican Sausage" with sell by date "1/20/15"   

The products subject to recall bear the establishment number "EST. 4312" or "P-4312" inside the USDA mark of inspection and were shipped to retail and wholesale locations in Connecticut, New Jersey and New York.     

Agri Star Meat & Poultry-- Aaron's Beef hotdogs

– Agri Star Meat & Poultry, a Postville, Iowa establishment, is recalling approximately 1,690 pounds of beef products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The products may contain peanuts, known allergens, which are not declared on the product label.

The following items, produced on September 29, 2014, are subject to recall: [Label]   

13.5 oz. vacuum-packed packages containing 8 pieces of "Aaron's BEST GLUTEN FREE Beef Franks Hot & Spicy CHIPOTLE."   

The products subject to recall bear the establishment number "EST. 4653A" inside the USDA mark of inspection. They were shipped to retail locations nationwide.

Those are just from today.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Macabre

Okay--I've created new threads and inserted links into the OP.  Thanks for adding to it and also adding the FDA link!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

Quote from: Stinky10 on January 16, 2015, 05:56:26 PM
I'm so confused - isn't that link to THIS thread?

Yes, but specifically a link to the very first post of this thread.  Every time a new product gets added to the recall and we create a thread here for it, I create a link to that thread.  So this is a listing of all of products that have been recalled--if we have a thread for each.

ajasfolks2

Am thinking about the many food items offered in public school cafeterias in US . . . and that many LTFA families may have deemed "safe enough" for child to eat at school . . .

this recall seems very far reaching.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

YouKnowWho

Why isn't this on the news every night?  When peanut butter was contaminated, it was on the news every night for weeks.  These recalls are trickling in slowly but how many people would question if they or their child was reacting to foods that have been considered peanut free?  Iron - mentioned on FB that she felt awful after eating tacos, questioned using the Epi but assumed what she ate was safe and assumed it was something else.  How many other people would question using the Epi?  How many more of these products exist under the label of spice on an ingredient list.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

GoingNuts

Can I just say that this recall is positively terrifying?  I have no idea how I am going to make DS understand how far reaching this is, and how careful he is going to have to be. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

PurpleCat

Quote from: GoingNuts on January 17, 2015, 07:44:25 AM
Can I just say that this recall is positively terrifying?  I have no idea how I am going to make DS understand how far reaching this is, and how careful he is going to have to be.

THIS! 

I have told DD, do not eat anything in the school cafeteria.  Nothing!  If she wants to eat out with friends only order food that is plain and straightforward.  Meaning order a steak with salt and pepper, steamed veggies, baked potato, etc....  No salsas, no dressings, no marinades, etc.... for the time being.

I wonder if this is going to start showing up in things like flavored chips and crackers.  When I read the article posted above about "tons" of cumin I think about how you only need a small amount and then think how far "tons" can spread within the food system it really is scary.

I already cook everything from scratch but there are some spice blends and seasoning mixes that I do like to use.  And now, can you even buy those ingredients and mix your own if the original ingredients are not safe either?

CMdeux

Quote from: YouKnowWho on January 17, 2015, 05:36:20 AM
Why isn't this on the news every night?  When peanut butter was contaminated, it was on the news every night for weeks.  These recalls are trickling in slowly but how many people would question if they or their child was reacting to foods that have been considered peanut free?  Iron - mentioned on FB that she felt awful after eating tacos, questioned using the Epi but assumed what she ate was safe and assumed it was something else.  How many other people would question using the Epi?  How many more of these products exist under the label of spice on an ingredient list.

Exactly-- it's possible that DD experienced as many as three separate reactions like that over the past 3 months-- one of them serious enough that her allergist thought we were crazy not to use Epi.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

guess

The inconsistent reports of test +|- for peanut protein compounds the concern.  There's no scale or comparison.  Considering the whole process was triggered by initial test results it makes sense to perhaps find a consistency in results.

I'm grateful for the bilingual recall notices that have been issued even out of caution.  I do think it would be wise for all to compare notes on what was tested, how, and subsequent results.

Macabre

Guess, can you unpack that a bit?  Are you saying that this is simply being done out of an over abundance of caution, not because there was actually a positive test result and that there have been both positive and negative test results for peanut in the recalled foods? 

It seems I am missing a huge news story and am trying to piece together your post and what I know, but there is a gap for me.

guess

That's the way some of the recalls are written.  One of them said both may contain and tested positive in a the same recall notice.  Then some read positive, others say negative but are recalling out of caution.  I'll try to migrate to my desktop later.  The weird one I may have saved in email I'll have to check.  I'm not sure it means anything other than there's no consistency in writing recall notices if they are voluntary.

guess

Here's the 'test negative but recalling out of caution' one.

QuoteThough testing has shown no detectable levels of peanut in the products, Franklin Farms has issued a voluntary recall of these products as a precaution. No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this recall.

One with may have/does contain.  Which doesn't jive with other recalls citing positive testing from source.

QuoteShirk's Meats, a Dundee, N.Y. establishment, is recalling approximately 1,062 pounds of pork sausage product due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen. The product contains peanuts, a known allergen which is not declared on the product label.

The problem was discovered when Shirk's Meats company was notified by its spice supplier that the cumin in a spice mix used to formulate the sausage may have been contaminated with peanut allergens.

This one is strong with the yes and no.

QuoteFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – January 12, 2015 – Brooklyn, NY – SPICE N' MORE CORP. of Brooklyn, NY, is recalling its 2.5-oz. containers of "ALL ISLAND SPICE" cumin powder, 7-oz. containers of "CASABLANCA", "H HARVEST", "SPICE CLASS" AND "LEADER MERET" cumin powder and 12-oz containers of "SALMA", "SPICE CLASS", "LA MINA" AND "KEY FOOD" cumin powder purchased from September 23, 2014 to November 30, 2014, because they may contain undeclared peanuts. People who have allergies to peanuts run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products.

The recall was initiated after it was discovered that the peanut-containing product was distributed in packaging that did not reveal the presence of peanuts. Subsequent investigation indicates the problem was caused by contamination of the product from its country of origin.

:dunno: Bad writing?  Panic?  Finger pointing?  Black humor on my part like what if the original test results were botched at the lab or it was a bad sample if some of the products test clean.  Or some mild eyebrow arching that the testing standards are really different.  Mostly just confused.  Phooey. :tongue:

Macabre

Ah--I see.  I guess I was seeing that as they aren't so willing to admit but they want to cya. 

Thanks!

Stinky10

was looking at recipes today and saw Garam Masala as an ingredient - and realized that it often contains cumin
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Macabre

I was wondering about that earlier today--what spice mixtures it's often found in.

-Adobo
-Garam Masala
-Curry
-Panchphoron

What else?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview