login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Air Canada?  (Read 12606 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Air Canada?
« on: December 12, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Not sure if this has been brought up recently or not--

if anyone has reasonably recent experience, especially with transatlantic routes, it would be greatly appreciated.

DD is both peanut and treenut allergic, and has a very low threshold.  We need to find a flight BACK from Heathrow that gets us as safely as possible as WEST as possible before dumping us onto a US carrier, from what I can tell.

There is a pair of flights that would take us through either Toronto or Montreal to Vancouver before returning to SEA/PDX and points south.  I like that flight VERY much (no meal service due to time of day) as long as Air Canada aren't... um...

buttheads.  Well, y'all KWIM.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline candyguru

Re: Air Canada?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
I flew Air Canada to Rome Italy and to London England in 2005, and to Boston three times in 2004, and to Las Vegas in 2006. They do not serve peanuts (I am PA, not TNA) but you can buy Blue Diamond almonds (peanut-free). You can also get a nut-free buffer zone (see below).  Here is their policy from their website:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/onboard/dining/nutritional.html

Our policy regarding customers with allergies

Air Canada serves and offers for sale products containing various ingredients that may be allergens for some passengers. If you are allergic or sensitive to products that may be found in an aircraft cabin, it is your responsibility to always carry the proper medication and other protection.

If you have severe allergies, you should always carry one or more EpiPens as you would under any other circumstances. If you have a severe allergy to cats, you should carry your asthma inhaler, as well as hand sanitizer and wet wipes to clean surrounding areas.

Allergies to peanuts and nuts

We have phased out peanuts from all packaged bar snacks onboard our aircraft in all classes of service. In addition, we have also replaced our other packaged snacks products with non-peanut alternatives wherever possible. However:

We cannot offer a special meal that is nut-/peanut-free.
We cannot guarantee that the complimentary meal or other food items served on board will be free from peanuts, peanut by-products or any other food to which a person may be allergic, as it would be impossible to manage with our many caterers, their suppliers and sub-suppliers.
We cannot be responsible for passengers who may bring peanuts or other products on board, or for any residue that may remain on or between seat cushions.
A child who is severely allergic to peanuts/peanut products cannot travel as an unaccompanied minor.

Buffer zone

If you have a severe allergy to peanuts or nuts, you may request that a buffer zone be set up around your seat* in order to help avoid the risk of exposure. Here's what you need to know:

To request a buffer zone*, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk (see contact information below) at least 48 hours before your flight as medical approval is required for all passengers, regardless of the itinerary**. We will also make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request if it is made within 48 hours.

Only the other customers seated within the buffer zone will be briefed on board by the flight attendant prior to departure:

They will be informed that they must not consume nut/peanut products.
They will not be offered any Onboard Café items containing nuts/peanuts.
*Exception: In the Executive First Suite, the buffer zone consists of the suite occupied by the passenger with allergies.
**See special requirements for flights between Canada and the United States.

Severe allergies to cats

If you have a severe allergy to cats, you may request a buffer zone in order to help avoid the risk of exposure.

To request a buffer zone, please contact the Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk (see contact information below) at least 48 hours before your flight as medical approval is required for all passengers, regardless of the itinerary*.

We will also make a reasonable effort to accommodate your request if it is made within 48 hours.

* See special requirements for flights between Canada and the United States.

Air Canada Medical Assistance Desk

Phone: 1-800-667-4732 (Toll-free between Canada and the U.S.)
1-514-369-7039 (long distance charges apply)
Hours of operation (EST): Monday to Friday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9am to 6pm

Special meals

We offer a choice of 17 special meals to accommodate our customers' special dietary needs. However, we cannot guarantee that our special meals will be entirely free of nuts/peanuts, seafood, gluten, or any other food product.

See what special meals are offered and how to order one for your next flight within North America or to an international destination.

Onboard snacks

The list of onboard snacks and their ingredients, below, is provided on a “for your information only” basis, and Air Canada assumes no liability pertaining to the content of the information below.

Blue Diamond Almonds (40 KB, .pdf)
Cadbury Caramilk Thick Chocolate Bar (24 KB, .pdf)
Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate Bar (22 KB, .pdf)
Cadbury Fruit & Nut Chocolate Bar (24 KB, .pdf)
Doritos / Tostitos Chips - Assorted Flavours (26 KB, .pdf)
English Bay Chocolate Chip Cookie (332 KB, .pdf)
English Bay Oatmeal Raisin Cookie (322 KB, .pdf)
Kellogg’s Special K Cereal (72 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels AC Mix (77 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels AC Mix: Crunchy Sesame (107 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Cheddar Cheese Sticks (110 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Cheddar Corn Jacks (113 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Chili Lemon Corn Sticks (105 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Corn Chips with flax (106 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Dragon Mix (102 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Honey Mustard and Onion Sticks (113 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Pretzels (107 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Rice Crackers (105 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Salted Dry Roasted Cashews (100 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Smoked Almonds (101 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Whole Salted Cashews (95 KB, .pdf)
Krispy Kernels Garlic Sesame Sticks (82 KB, .pdf)
Nissin Chicken Noodle Soup (289 KB, .pdf)
Peek Frean Bran Crunch Cookies (20 KB, .pdf)
Peek Frean Lifestyle Cranberry Citrus Oat Crunch (72 KB, .pdf)
Pringles – Ingredients – Nutritional info (33 KB, .pdf)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
I guess I'll have to call them and ask if they'll refrain from serving cashews on our (transatlantic) flight home from Heathrow.   :-/  At least that flight leaves us over open water for the shortest period of time, though there are probably superior means of visiting Montreal or Quebec that don't involve emergency landings. 

Thank you for the info, CG-- it is very helpful to hear good things from someone who has actually flown them.  I wonder if they'd do a cabin announcement... it rather sounds as though they might.

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:13:35 PM »

I wonder if they'd do a cabin announcement... it rather sounds as though they might.

Only the other customers seated within the buffer zone will be briefed on board by the flight attendant prior to departure

I don't think so.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:04:53 PM »
Air Canada has a form to be filled out by a physician (which, by the way, they CANNOT force U.S. flights' passengers to do, because of disability law here), but anyway-- if you want the buffer, they need documentation from a medical professional.

Good news, though?  Once that's on-file with AC, they'll AUTOMATICALLY set up your buffer zone anytime you fly-- for a DECADE.

AC was actually both gracious and amazingly well-informed in comparison with UAL. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »
CM, they cannot force a Canadian citizen to get that form filled out either.  But, they can (and will) refuse the buffer zone without it.  And I completely understand why.  There's a BIG difference between "I'm allergic to peanuts" or "I don't like the smell of peanuts".  And, you know, without proof being required, some people would say they have an allergy just so they wouldn't have to smell something.

Offline QsMommy

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 06:19:04 PM »
I was told by Air Canada, in May 2012, that if we requested a buffer zone that they could turn us away if we did not have the form filled out. 

I did the form and it is on file for 3 years. 

We took 2 flights and both times an announcement was made and a buffer zone was given.  They did not sell any nut products on either flight.  They even supplied a group of teenagers, who only had nutty granola bars, complementary food.

I was also allowed to pre board and clean our seats.

Ali
Canada

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:44 PM »
That is really good to hear (and yes, I completely understood why they'd want documentation, as well, Silver... and I don't have any beef with it, either)!

They seemed VERY well-informed about what flying safely with such an allergy actually entails, as well-- the disability-services rep had a list of items for me--

preboard, wipe down armrests and tray tables, use a seat cover, etc. etc.  Carry extra medication, bring your own food, all of that stuff.

:thumbsup:

I think that I favorably impressed HER by knowing all of that and by calling 100 days ahead of the flight.  LOL.

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 03:14:10 PM »
Okay-- medical approval is in.  WHEW!

Buffer zone is apparently now just a single row on either side.  Whoahhhhhh, is that ever scary on a transatlantic flight with someone who has aerosol history.     :misspeak: 

On the other hand, I do not see any PEANUT-based snacks offered in the first place, and we'll probably offer to swap/buy out cashews if DD seems to have any trouble on that initial PDX to Ohare flight where they'll be serving the mixed nuts.  She's never been exposed to cashews in surroundings like that, so we don't really know what her sensitivity is to them environmentally like that. 

Be a shame to find out over the water, though.   :hiding:

Western U.S.

Offline starlight

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
You've probably thought of this already, but is there any chance of getting the last row of the plane (so people don't stare at her, if she's insecure about it) and having her wear a face mask? At least when you're above the water? I know when I was young I'd fight that idea tooth and nail, but it's better than not breathing or being scared about the what-if's the entire trip.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:49 AM »
We are in bulkhead seating for part of our outbound flights, but because this was booked as a codeshare with united, we didn't have a choice of seats.

Well.  We are in a middle and window (I'll give the window seat to DD), mid-cabin.  We do have masks, and seat covers, and will do a thorough wipe-down. 

Luckily, the flight path doesn't have us over WATER for long-- mostly over land.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 06:52:58 AM »
That's terrific over land. Mask wearing isn't that unusual on int'l flights I've been on. I think I did it during SARS peak years.