Air Purifiers for Environmental Allergies

Started by hezzier, February 16, 2015, 06:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hezzier

So our house is under renovation and the dust is out of control.  Definitely contributing to DS's nasal congestion.  So thinking I need an air purifier for his room and then one for the main floor.

Any recommendations?

Mookie86

I have one attached to my furnace, but I'm guessing you are looking for a room one?

To minimize construction dust, are they using plastic sheeting to seal off the area where they are working?  Are they vacuuming up debris at the end of each day? 

When I did a kitchen refacing, I found it helpful also to keep all bedroom doors closed and to stuff towels at the bottom to minimize what gets into the room.  I also bought a room unit air purifier, but I can't recommend anything beyond making sure you get one that'll cycle the air in that size room.  I recall reading to buy one for a bigger space than the actual room size recommendation.

How long is your construction project?  Good luck.

Edited to add:  Also, cover all vents where they're working to reduce what's getting into the ductwork.

guess

Good CADR ratings, affordable, reliable, number of exchange cycles per hour, particle size either the Honeywell 50250-S or Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier AP510.  The Honeywell is around $119 compact but noisy, very noisy.  The Whispure runs more quietly but is costlier about $300 full retail right now.  I used to have an Austin Healthmate -- would not recommend.  It is pricier but no more performance maybe even a little less.  I didn't care for the construction or materials of the Austin either.  For pure exchanges, particle size capture and CADR rating I'd go with the Honeywell if you can take the noise.

hezzier

My sister went digging and found her Consumer Reports magazine that had Air Purifiers (Nov 2014 edition).

Here are their top 3:
Honeywell HPA300 $250
Whirlpool Whispure AP51030K $300
Blueair 503 $660

This was recommended by someone's allergist on a FB Food Support Group, but said it's noisy.
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-50250-S-99-97-Round-Purifier/dp/B00007E7RY/ref=pd_sim_hg_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1NB5AD9GRJ6Y28Y8ESS7

Then I found this version of the last one...it's a little smaller so thinking would be good for his room which is small.  Noise like a fan blowing on high in his room is fine, we all sleep with fans blowing year round for the white noise.
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Pure-Round-Purifier-50150-N/dp/B00008OOX2/ref=pd_sim_hg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FZTHCK9KG97224GMGY7

Macabre

The kind I got for my mom's room is supposed to be very good with allergens. It is freaking amazing at getting rid of VOCs. I'll post about it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview