District now requiring all parent "volunteers" to obtain background checks

Started by MandCmama, February 18, 2015, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Some background info....I (and my husband) have always paid to join the PTA.  When we attend class room parties, field trips, field day, etc it is not usually in the capacity of PTA parent.  It is usually under the provision of both boys' 504 plans that we be there because of FA safety. I must say that great strides have been made at the school in the three years we've been there.  Food is much more limited and controlled and our presence (in our own judgment) is not required for every event like it once was. That said, there will be many times ahead of us (my youngest is in K) when I feel one or both of us need to be there to prevent contact with unsafe food.

The school is now planning on implementing a policy that would require all parent volunteers undergo background checks yearly. At their own expense ($48/pp). Effective immediately.

Currently, the only requirement to be a volunteer is to be a (paying) member of the PTA. With our 504, we've been exempt from the PTA rule, but have always been members anyway. 

I agree that background checks are a good idea.  Especially for the PTA activities that occur after school with zero teacher/school personnel oversight. I do NOT feel; however, that my husband and I should have to pay $100/year to keep our children safe during parties and field trips.  Can they require this of us if our only purpose in volunteering is to be 1:1 with our own child? My husband, a teacher in the district, has heard that the only exemption will be open house days, where parents are invited to observe classes, but are not directly interacting with the students.

Any input would be appreciated as this will be a fight we have to decide whether or not to fight ASAP.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

hedgehog

First, my guess would be that there has been an issue either in your community, or one nearby, that has prompted this policy.  It is not the kind of thing that vines about just because someone thinks it is a good idea.

I would think that since your DH is employed by the district, they have done a background check as part of his employment, so another would be redundant an unnecessary.  If they have not done a background check on him, then why do it gift volunteers if they don't for employees?

Also, since it is part of the 594, my guess would be that they cannot force you to pay, but that us just a guess.  I am sure others could weigh in on that with more knowledge if the subject.

And I think the background check us a good idea.  The school that DD went to when we lived elsewhere...whoo boy!  I volunteered in her K class, weekly.  No background check, no knowledge if my educational background or anything.  Twice I came in to volunteer and found that I would be in charge of two classes, put together, with no teacher present.  So this kids I knew in DD's class, plus a class of kids I didn't know, who didn't know me.  I can't figure out WTF they were thinking.  Or how it was possibly legal (I know very well it is not legal where I live now).
USA

guess

Answering as a fellow parent, do you attend in any volunteer capacity at all or only as a 504 provision?  One way to look at it would be if you do want to volunteer in any way, shape or form that is outside of the medical need for your one child then you might want to consider doing both adding it to the 504 that you will be exempt in the future if you do not volunteer through the PTA you will still be allowed access.  In other words, if it's a stumbling block right now one possible solution might be pay this year to have full access as volunteers (and maybe volunteer if you want) thereafter in the 504 is a provision exempting you if you are not a volunteer and are present as an accommodation to student.

MandCmama

Yes- hedgehog- that's how I feel about the after school program- huge liability.  I will never volunteer for that again!

Good point on the background check for DH- he does already have one (though not yearly....hmmm), so it might be just me.

As for the 504, DH is thinking that when it comes time to renew, they won't put the language in unless we have clearances.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

MandCmama

I guess in it's simplest form, my question is this- can they consider my coming in to keep my child safe volunteering?
Pennsylvania, USA

MandCmama

Guess- I've done both, but frankly probably would not volunteer to run parties if I had to pay to join PTA and for clearances.
Pennsylvania, USA

guess

I would think raise it as a matter of business to amend the 504 or just keep attending citing that you're not there as a volunteer.  If they haven't asked you to pay to supervise your child out of medical need I'm not sure they even have you on that radar.  They may be responding to an event (as stated earlier by hedgehog) considering this is a sweeping change effective immediately.

The easiest response is you're not a volunteer.  See first if they are going to make this an issue.

TabiCat

I am sorry about this. I will say most directs here have required this for years. Anyone who has contact with the children has to have a background check. I don't know if legally given the 504 they can force the issue or  not.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

yelloww

I live in your state. I also teach and coach here.

This is a state law that has changed as of this year. It is written in such a way that ANYONE who has contact with minors needs to have the background check.... that includes coaches, church groups, non-profit youth activities, ANYTHING. Basically if you are there and are breathing the same air as minors, you now have to get clearances.

I would try the tactic that the $100 is an undue burden placed on your family because of a disability, as you are only there for your child as per the 504, and that if you were not there because of a medical issue you would NOT be volunteering. Therefore, you have to pay this because of a disability. See if the district will pay for it since you HAVE to be there.

HOWEVER, as soon as you do ANYTHING to help with an event, you are then there a volunteer. Like don't even pick up a piece of trash. You cannot help. That *might* be the only way to get around the clearances. I would expect a LOT of blowback because this law is new and very stringent. Would be easier to get the district to reimburse you the $100 than try to fight the new regulation.

Also, with that law, everyone who interacts with kids is now considered a mandatory reporter for children''s services. Not just the teachers/paid coaches like it used to be. You volunteer for a bake sale, and a kid working the bake sale mentions something (abuse whatever), you now have to report it by law because you are "working" with kids. It is going to discourage parent volunteerism in the long run.

It's a big change in the law and is going to cost a lot of $$ for people to be involved. [spoiler]We are considering creating a fundraiser to pay for clearances via our band boosters account for parents who cannot afford the $100 fee per person.[/spoiler]

MandCmama

Hmmmm. I wonder if this is the reason I now need to complete a child abuse course for my professional license, even though I treat no one under 18...
Pennsylvania, USA

Macabre

I was going to say much the same thing as yellow--and also Tabi.  Our Houston area school had this for anyone who had contact with children ten years ago. 

Even if you do not volunteer, you have contact with children.

When we moved to Virginia and the parents who chaperoned kids in their rooms overnight for a DC trip were not checked, it freaked me out.  I was conditioned by our Houston experience (and by my experience for years at church teaching Sunday School). I was relieved when our Virginia district implemented it a few years ago. 

I will say that the Houston school checks were $5.  They were run through the Volunteer Center, which performed good checks (a nonprofit I worked for also used the Volunteer Center). 

Now, a parent should not have to have this financial  burden because of their child's disability, but 1) I am surprised it costs this much and 2) I do think that anyone who is in the room with the kids should have the check.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MandCmama

Pennsylvania, USA

guess

What Mac said but find out first what they'll implement before assuming.  They may intend to exempt you or offer to pay.  Although it raises other issues such as must you submit to such a check based on your child's disability even if you don't pay for it.  Ask, explain, request an amendment for 504 and show for the record why.  The record is what will stand.

PurpleCat

We have always had to have a background check every year for schools, recreational sports, etc....  Any activity involving children.  We have never had to pay out of pocket for it.

I know from my heavy involvement in the schools, we had to fill out the forms every year, but the actual background check happens every 3 years so if you fill out a form and your check is still good, they don't run a background check.

I feel like the town should have to run one check for all volunteering and put that in a data base instead of each organization requiring you to file.

Perhaps your new state law involves running an actual check every single year and the school can not afford that?  Seems like a lot of money to require someone to pay when they are volunteering. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview