A couple of questions

Started by notashrimpwimp, May 10, 2015, 01:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notashrimpwimp

Hello everyone!

I recently experienced a reaction to blue cheese immediately after eating it. My tongue burned, lips swelled, and I turned red. I've done research into this and found that those allergic to penicillin occasionally react to blue/bleu cheese as well. Has this happened in your experience as well?

Secondly, have any of you discovered an allergy to a food you've always been averse to?

Thanks,
NASW

lakeswimr

Macabre

I have always been averse to blue cheese.  Just. cant. do. it.  And I have had (don't know if I still have) a penicillin allergy.  I don't know if the aversion is related.

I have had an aversion to peanut butter much of my life and tested positive and had a couple of reactions in an early period (I no longer test positive).  I could eat peanut butter, but anything cooked with it disgusted me.  I still have no idea how people can eat PB cookies.  Yuck.  I have always thought they were gross. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

eragon

blue cheese has very high histamine content. my son avoids raw tomato and blue cheese because of the histamine causing reactions.
He is not allergic to penicillin. 
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

SilverLining

One of my kids has a mould allergy, which includes penicillin, which he has reacted to. He eats blue cheese.

My youngest I never allowed penicillin. Doctors kept saying a specific allergy does not run in families, and I kept saying I pay for the meds....prescribe antibiotic as I will not fill penicillin. When the allergist saw the size of wheal to mould and family history of penicillin he said NEVER allow this kid penicillin. He wouldn't even do the separate test due to it being an unnecessary exposure. 

And, much like my always arguing about no penicillin....with this kid. I also say no blue cheese. It's an unnecessary risk IMO.  Not usually an issue because he does not want it. My concern is it could be a part of a salad dressing and he may not know....but likely the smell would make him not want it anyway.

CMdeux

DH and I are both really, really horribly mold-allergic.

DD skin tests penicillin-allergic (though she tolerates amoxicillin perfectly well the few times she's needed it).  She, too, is HORRIBLY allergic to molds.  All molds.

We all eat (and greatly enjoy) cheeses made with molds (Roquefort, Bleu/blues, and other traditional cheeses).

I'm the most histamine-sensitive member of my family, and I can definitely tell if I eat much blue cheese at the onset of a migraine-- makes it way, way worse.

But ordinarily, no.

Aversion = allergy?

Um-- no, actually.  But others have definitely reported this being a thing.  It just hasn't ever been for anyone in my family (immediate or extended).  Aversion after the development of a clinical allergy?  DEFINITELY.  But generally not the other way around.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

notashrimpwimp

Thanks for the responses!

I hadn't experienced any side effects or issues after eating blue cheese before, so I guess that's why this was somewhat concerning. I hadn't tried that brand before, so maybe it's something to do with the way they process it.

So far as I can discern, I tend to become allergic to things that I actually enjoy. It's all a bit :hiding:.

Macabre

Well the high histamine load + spring allergies could be something to think about.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

notashrimpwimp

Thankfully, not too many of the common allergens in force where I live. The most ubiquitous? The dastardly dust mites, both varieties, that nom and burrow.

I will see how things go when I am less twitchy. Had issues in class, i.e. needing to use my auvi-q, flushing, and throat closing.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview