FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: RECALL Dove Chocolate Snowflakes  (Read 3292 times)

Description: peanut, wheat, egg

Offline nameless

RECALL Dove Chocolate Snowflakes
« on: December 21, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »
WTF!

I guess the snowflakes are separately made than the regular Dove chocolates which I was under the impression made in a PN/TN free facility. Some of their specialty ones have warnings...do the snowflakes? Or do they mean raw pieces of these others in the BAG, but in the actual chocolate?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dove-chocolate-snowflakes-recalled-for-allergy-risk/

Last Updated Dec 21, 2015 1:57 PM EST

Holiday-themed bags of Dove Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes are being recalled after it was discovered that they may contain peanut, wheat, and egg ingredients that weren't listed on the candy's label. The candy is made by Mars Chocolate North America.

An FDA recall statement said approximately 6,700 cases of the Dove chocolate snowflakes may contain pieces of other candy bars, including Snickers, Milky Way, and Twix, which contain peanut, wheat and/or egg ingredients. These ingredients, however, are not listed on the package label and people who have allergies may be at serious risk for life-threatening allergic reactions if they consume the chocolates.

The company was alerted to the problem when a consumer notified Mars that a piece of Snickers had been found in the Dove seasonal chocolates. No adverse reactions have been reported at this time. The product has been on sale since September 19, at retail locations in 35 states.

The voluntary recall includes 24-ounce bags on sale through one major retailer that has stores nationwide, the company press announcement said. Walmart confirmed to CBS News that the product was sold at their stores.

"We are impacted and have notified our stores to pull and destroy our local product, and customers can return to their stores for a full refund," Walmart spokesperson John Forrest Ales said. "We do sell the item and are committed to providing our customers with safe quality foods." He did not have Walmart numbers on how many bags of the product are involved.

The purple bags are labeled: Item# 10139802 and UPC# 400050521. The lot codes are:

537CG4PA30
537DG4PA30
538AG4PA30
538AM4PA30
541AG4PA20
542EM4PA20
The code dates and UPC code are located on the back of the packaging on the lower right side.

Consumers can return the chocolate to the store where they purchased it for a full refund and call the company's toll-free number at 1-800-551-0907 with questions.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: RECALL Dove Chocolate Snowflakes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »
Holy crap.   :pout:  :dalek:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
Soooo....those snowflake bags have NO warning, as implied THAT IT SHOULD by Dove's statement on pn/tn free facilities. Pretty much Mars labels for same facility. So these snowflakes in the purple bag for Walmart WERE IN a facility with pn/tn stuff, yet nothing on the label...which we expect from Mars.  They have pics of the bags up on the FDA notice.

https://www.dovechocolate.com/aboutDove/Allergies

Consumers with Peanut or Tree Nut Allergies
We are pleased to let you know that several DOVE® Milk and Dark Chocolate products are manufactured in a dedicated facility that does not make products that contain peanuts or tree nuts*. The below products are acceptable options for consumers with peanut or tree nut allergies. Since other DOVE® Chocolate varieties are produced at facilities with peanut or tree nut cross contact risk, it is important to always read the label for the most accurate allergy information.

Please look for these products:

40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
I can't find info to know if it was a WRAPPED snack size Snickers or unwrapped in the bag, or found in/on the actual chocolate.
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Mars Chocolate North America Issues Allergy Alert Voluntary Recall on Undeclared Peanuts, Wheat and Egg Ingredient for DOVE® Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes, 24.0 oz. Bag, Sold Only at One Major Retailer with Stores Across the U.S.
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
TWEET
LINKEDIN
PIN IT
EMAIL
PRINT
For Immediate Release
December 18, 2015
Contact

Consumers

1-800-551-0704
Media

1-973-691-3536
Firm Press Release
View Product Photos
Mars Chocolate North America Issues Allergy Alert Voluntary Recall on Undeclared Peanuts, Wheat and Egg Ingredient for DOVE® Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes, 24.0 oz. Bag, Sold Only at One Major Retailer with Stores Across the U.S.
Today, Mars Chocolate North America announced a voluntary recall of its DOVE® Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes, 24.0 oz. bag - this is a seasonal item only sold at one major retailer with stores across the U.S.

Item# 10139802 - UPC# 400050521
LOT CODE: 537CG4PA30, 537DG4PA30, 538AG4PA30, 538AM4PA30, 541AG4PA20, 542EM4PA20

This item is a purple 24 oz. bag clearly marked with DOVE® Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes branding on the front of packaging. The code dates and UPC code are located on the back of the packaging on the lower right side.

Approximately 6,700 cases of this item may contain some SNICKERS®, MILKY WAY® and TWIX® pieces that contain peanuts, wheat and/or eggs, but these ingredients are not listed on the outer package ingredient label. People who have allergies to peanuts, wheat and/or eggs have the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume these products. No adverse reactions have been reported to date.

This item was shipped and distributed to only one retailer and sold at retail food stores starting September 19, 2015 through December 1, 2015 to the following locations: AZ, GA, MA, MS, OH, VA, CA, IA, MD, NH, OK, VT, CO, IL, ME, NJ, OR, WA, CT, IN, MI, NM, PA, WI, DE, KS, MN, NV, RI, WY, FL, KY, MO, NY and TX.

The issue was identified after a consumer notified Mars Chocolate North America of finding a SNICKERS® piece in this Dove Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes, 24.0 oz. bag.

Mars Chocolate is working with the impacted retailer to ensure that the recalled product is removed from sale. In the event that consumers believe they have purchased this item and have allergy concerns, they should return this product to the store where they purchased it for a full refund. Consumers with questions or concerns may call our toll-free number at 1-800-551-0907.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline candyguru

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 11:28:17 PM »
http://fortune.com/2015/12/21/dove-chocolate-recall/

It’s limited to Walmart stores.

Mars Chocolate North America has issued a voluntary recall of a seasonal Dove chocolate product sold at Walmart  WMT 0.91%  stores.

The company is recalling its Dove Chocolate Assortment Snowflakes, packaged in 24-ounce purple bags, and is supposed to contain pieces of milk chocolate, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate with caramel. The recall was issued when a customer notified the company after discovering a Snickers in one of the packages, posing a concern for those with allergies , according to a press release by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Nearly 7,000 packages may contain Snickers, Milky Way, or Twix bars. These items contain nuts, wheat, and eggs, which are not listed on the package as ingredients. No allergic reactions have been reported.

The affected products were distributed to 35 states between Sept. 19 and Dec. 1 and, as Mars told Fortune in a statement, are only sold at Walmart stores. The company is working with the FDA and the retailer to remove the tainted items from store shelves.

===============================

It sounds to me as if there are snack size Snickers / Twix bars in the bag mixed in with the Dove snowflakes, as the lady reported she found a Snickers bar in the Dove bag.

So it sounds as if the Dove chocolates themselves are safe, but there are unsafe Snickers and Twix in some of the bags.  I have eaten the Dove snowflakes from Walmart when we visited the USA but fortunately there were no Snickers or Twix bars in it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 02:38:31 AM »
The person who found the bag is on one of the fb groups. The snicker bar was wrapped and inside the family size bag-she posted a picture of it. From what I understand the snowflakes (milk and dark only, I think) are made in the nut free facility but they are then shipped to the other facility to be packaged with the caramel (??). The problem is that there is no warning but at some point this family size bag was in a facility where snickers is. So where the heck is the shared facility warning they claim they always use?  Also, most bags have a code on the back identifying the facility and this one was totally blank in that spot.

As far as I know it was only the one bag that had a snickers bar in it but maybe they also package twix and milky way so they wanted to consider the possibility that those may have also inadvertently gotten into the bags.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 09:56:06 AM »
So specially packaged for Walmart.

Erik you come to the US and go to a Walmart? Srsly, dude?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline nameless

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 07:18:00 PM »
The person who found the bag is on one of the fb groups. The snicker bar was wrapped and inside the family size bag-she posted a picture of it. From what I understand the snowflakes (milk and dark only, I think) are made in the nut free facility but they are then shipped to the other facility to be packaged with the caramel (??). The problem is that there is no warning but at some point this family size bag was in a facility where snickers is. So where the heck is the shared facility warning they claim they always use?  Also, most bags have a code on the back identifying the facility and this one was totally blank in that spot.

As far as I know it was only the one bag that had a snickers bar in it but maybe they also package twix and milky way so they wanted to consider the possibility that those may have also inadvertently gotten into the bags.

on Dove's FB page where they had answered some questions and announced the peanut/nut free facilities...I pointed out this very thing. Pn/Nut free facility? REALLY?

Got no response.
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline candyguru

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 08:16:13 PM »
So specially packaged for Walmart.

Erik you come to the US and go to a Walmart? Srsly, dude?

*LOL*  We were in Orlando Florida at the Marriott Vacation Club Harbour Lake (Dec 2015), and went there to pick up groceries (Tropicana OJ, cheese, milk, etc).. haha We also went to Whole Foods to pick up Amy's gluten-free mac and cheese and Enjoy Life gluten-free cookies. :)   The Harbour Lake is great as all the villas have a full kitchen...  stove, oven, full size fridge, microwave, etc. Since I am "candyguru" I can't survive on vacation without chocolate (and Dove is one of the few brands without a peanut allergy alert)

If you are in Orlando, I highly recommend the Marriott Vacation Club Harbour Lake.  I will post pics soon in off topic :)
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline candyguru

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 08:24:29 PM »

I think the warning I have seen on Mars products in Canada is "manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts" and in this case, it sounds as if there were no peanuts in the facility where these bars were manufactured (even though they may have been "bagged / packaged" in the same facility as products containing peanuts.)  So maybe these products should state "manufactured in a peanut-free facility, but bagged/packaged in the same facility as products containing peanuts"?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 08:07:37 AM »
Bagging is part of the process to me. That is indeed shared equipment.  Eek.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline candyguru

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »

In my case, I would want to know they are manufactured in a peanut-free facility.  My diet is already severely restricted due to peanut warnings on products so if it said "manufactured in a facility with shared lines with peanut products" I would not be able to eat these. 

Personally, I consider it unsafe if the products are manufactured on the same equipment or same facility due to cross contamination risks.

But if they are manufactured in a peanut-free facility, but then bagged in a shared facility, I personally would still eat them.  If a Snickers bar somehow did end up in the bag, I personally would know enough not to eat it (though I understand a child may not know enough so it is a risk). Since they are manufactured in a peanut-free facility, I personally would eat them.

I think the best solution is to add a label "Manufactured in a peanut-free facility and bagged in a facility with peanut products" to give us as much information as possible so each person can decide whether to eat it or not.  Since the Dove chocolates are individually wrapped, I do not see any risk to myself in eating them in my personal situation.