Kellogg Changes - Petition

Started by momtoAidenDeclan, March 31, 2016, 03:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momtoAidenDeclan

Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

SilverLining

I don't think I've ever seen these products before. Maybe they're not available in Canada, or maybe have a sesame warning.

Anyway, someone on-line was saying they always had a peanut warning for may contain. Anyone know if it's correct?

hedgehog

I do not like the wording of that petition at all.  I agree with the idea of a petition in this case, but the inflammatory language is nit the way to go, IMO.  And it leaves out some very important points, while making some that, while it may happen, is truly the responsibility of the consumer, not the manufacturer. 
USA

hezzier

I currently have the Keebler Club and Cheddar Sandwich crackers as well as the Keebler Toast and PB sandwich crackers at home.  I do not have the boxes they came in, but there is no may contains warning on the cheese crackers that I can see (package is a little hard to read with the crackers in there).

ajasfolks2

Am wondering if the manufacturing / "may contain" label varies by region?

Yeah, not thrilled with wording in that petition.

*sigh*

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

PurpleCat

I don't think I've ever seen a may contains warning on any of these packages.  I have to agree, I won't sign that petition due to the wording.

Macabre

The only thing I disagree with is:

"Furthermore, shoppers that have no reason to believe that a cheese cracker might contain peanuts may never read your advisories, endangering themselves or the children ...."

Because these were the only ones that were actually safe. All the others have a May contain statement and the logic that people might not think the read the label, therefore you shouldn't add peanut flour doesn't hold.

People can die by not reading the labels of other similar crackers out there that contain peanuts (trace amounts).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

ajasfolks2

Language used in that petition that I might not have used and opted for something less strong or potentially emotional (but maybe that's just the me, now, in 2016   ;D   ):

outraged

unethical

and the follow on:

By signing the petition, you will send a clear message to Kellogg's that adding peanut flour to their crackers (and subsequent products) is irresponsible, unethical, and will not be tolerated.

All just my own humble opinion.

ajasfolks2

Just updating with their follow up post . . . still don't agree with some of the wording OR the reasoning behind some of the word choices:

http://snacksafely.com/2016/04/answering-your-questions-about-the-kelloggs-no-peanut-flour-petition/

ajasfolks2

Accusing this major corporation of being "unethical" in this instance seems not the best course of action . . . .

CMdeux

I agree-- I wasn't going to comment other than simply not signing it-- but--

Keebler, has been one of the most AMAZING examples of voluntary labeling of shared production spaces on the theory that people who are extremely VULNERABLE due to having low threshold doses for pn/tn can be harmed by traces that won't necessarily be eliminated by "cleaning" or "GMP" or "allergen handling protocols" or even, as it happens-- by "testing" for protein traces.

All of which is true, IMO/IME.

In fact, this is the precise reason why we have NEVER been able to trust Kraft, and why we've slowly had to eliminate a ton of General Mills products from DD's life, as they've walked back to a Kraft-like stance themselves, divulging only what they KNOW is a problem, and figuring that don't-ask-don't-tell is good enough for everyone.  (arrogantly, if you ask me)  Trader Joe's, similarly...

Well, Keebler doesn't treat peanuts that way.

I appreciate that.  ENORMOUSLY.

My loyalty over that issue precludes me biting the hand that takes such care feeding us all, KWIM?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Keebler is owned by (part of?) Kellogg aren't they?  Kellogg has always been good about labelling too.

ajasfolks2

Yes, Kellogg . . . but there seems to be some shifting (or maybe further clarificaton?) as to how Kellogg's does and does nOT label . . . as usual there seems to be confusion and maybe mixed messaging.

:bye:  Hi, SL, nice to see you!

ajasfolks2

I had been wondering if this really was NOT an ingredient change such as an actual ADDITION of peanut flour, but rather a manufacturing change to a facility where now the items are a "may contain" due to unintended Xcontam and peanut flour in other crackers made in same facility?

And now I've seen some postings as to Kelloggs that perhaps this is the case?  (But have not seen anything posted by Kelloggs directly . . . )

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview