imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Cash Price of Epipen ... INSANITY!!!!!  (Read 36491 times)

Description:

Name

Re: Cash Price of Epipen ... INSANITY!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
I wonder if it would be possible (for sure it would be cost-effective in the long run) to order a vial of epi and make your own ana-kit type setup except with an autoinjector.

The problem with this--- and this is the precise problem with vials of epinephrine-- is that epinephrine is stable for literally only a few HOURS when drawn into a syringe under exposure to air.

Wow.  That is a sobering fact I don't think many (self included) consider with vials.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:31 PM »
But the vials are so doable - that is what it says on the internet.  Won't say I haven't considered them for home but yeah, not so much.  The link I read is that we just need to keep it all in an Altoids tin and it will be fine  ~)

I roll my eyes but friends are having to consider this method due to high cost.  Not that they want to but the price is ridiculous.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #77 on: August 29, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
It's good to see you, name!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2016, 09:32:13 PM »
Here's the deal--I do not consider vials at all. Not at all. I have an ER doc friend in a small west Texas town who said he wants to begin a training campaign with them (YKW I think you got caught in his reverie on a post of mine on FB).

Vials are only useful in a medical setting. I won't even say home. I've given epi two DS once at home, once at ballet (and he has gotten it at school twice and at dance camp once). I've given it to myself once at home and once in the parking lot of a hospital.  So we are not strangers to giving epi, right? Of the four times I have given it, I do not know of one where I would have been able to have the composure to deal with a vial. And certainly not on myself during my last reaction at home alone. I had to have dh walk me through giving myself an Epi. I felt a bit spacey and was not so clear headed.

I am so grateful this thing has taken off on FB. But several friends have suggested the vial and no way am I going to do that.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

name

« Reply #79 on: August 29, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
The pitchforks and torches are out in force on Mylan's Facebook page.  What I hope cooler discussion promotes on this medium is a longer term approach to the broader concern of two items (1) competition leading to robust choices in autoinjectors in the US market that reflect successful products offered for years in the UK, Sweden; (2) FARE must purge its pharmaceutical conflicts of interest by selling off its vested interest by way of Aimmune stock, and invite external, independent, and fully transparent audit of its direct and indirect financial relationship with Mylan.

SJP broke up with Mylan!  Carrie knows what's up!

We are not a herd to be farmed, managed, then fed to the makers of medicines.  It's too much to expect of members whose reasonable expectations of annual dues contributes to their true best interest.  Last word is a lowered EpiPen price is not a final answer, only a short term solution for some.  We need our independence back in advocacy free of the market forces of pharm investors, and autoinjector choices as well as technological ADVANCES.  Patents in theory are to serve the public and reward innovation.  Limited 'deadweight loss' is granted by the government to allow the public to trust a branded good.  This has mutated into market dominance stifling innovation and entry by competitors in life or death stakes.

Cheers, ladies.  Keep on rockin'. 

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
I cannot find an official page for Mylan at Facebook?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

name

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2016, 12:40:20 PM »
Clerical error.  Should have been posts about Mylan at FARE's Facebook page.  I cannot edit as a guest.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2016, 01:28:45 PM »
No problem.  THanks!

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »
FAACT survey as to Epipen experience:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FAACTEpiAnswers

FAACT = The Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Connection Team, FAACT
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:30:40 PM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2016, 06:59:51 PM »
I saw that today too, HH.  Very moving, and so true, for my dd too. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2016, 07:20:22 PM »
You know, now that I think about my DD in this context.  She is a business major, and incredible at it.  She understands how this stuff works far better than I ever could.  And she certainly hopes to make $$$ at some point. But, she is also very caring, and truly wants to make the world a better place.  I don't want to give too much info, but her internship this summer was at the charitable division of a company that is really about financial services.  And she loved it.  The perfect blend for her...the business of trying to make money, working with stocks, commodities, and other assets. , but the good effect of that money going to good causes. I hope she does not change.
USA

name

« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2016, 02:12:52 PM »
In the interest of public access to critical information here is a partial link to Mylan's citizen petition to block a generic from market.  Their arguement goes something like, "Schools are trained to use branded EpiPens so this generic will dangerous because it's slightly different to use."

.pharmamedtechbi.com/~/media/Supporting%20Documents/The%20Pink%20Sheet%20DAILY/2015/January/Citizen_Petition_Mylan_Specialty_epinephrine%20autoinjector%20ANDA.pdf

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2016, 10:26:14 PM »
I can't open that....  :(
Spanking cats for 40 years!