FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Schools and Food Allergies

School held mass "epipen class."

<< < (3/3)

GoingNuts:
PC, I never tried to hide it either, but that is the parent's, and student's choice.  And they should be consulted on their action plan. 

ajasfolks2:
For me, the thing that bothers me the most is the unilateral decision (it seems) that nurse made without consult with students or parents . . . . a "command decision" without seemingly understanding or respecting the rights of the students to privacy AND the potential for conflicting info vs each student's personally developed allergy plan with his/her personal physician.  I think that it is likely the nurse's perceived challenge to her authority in this situation that may make it hard to work through.

But work through it you must.

Educate - educate - educate as best as possible without seeming to put finger in chest, if that makes sense.

eragon:
my first question to my child would be 'did the nurse show you how to use it correctly'?

having met a few school nurses, many are fab, but met a few who didnt know how to use one correctly, and one who didnt recognise a reaction that my son was having . 

Kelley2522:
Thank you so much for all of the responses, information and points of view.

I'm still stewing on it.

My main issue is that my choice as the parent and my son's choice and rights were taken away. Maybe I'm upset over the wrong reasons, I don't know, but if this is a class, it's not part of the required curriculum. It should have been offered, but not mandatory. I'm not trying to hide Noah's allergy, but I don't feel it's the school's place to educate him, especially when it goes against what I've taught him from his dr. I wish he would have felt confident enough to speak up and tell that that what they were teaching is not what he is prescribed by his doctor.

I can't wrap my head around the school's liability of this whole thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version