FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Schools and Food Allergies

School held mass "epipen class."

<< < (2/3) > >>

ajasfolks2:
My first response was also head explosion.  Then I wanted to bonk her on head with wand.   :bonking:

So wrong in so many ways, even if intentions were good.  And sounds like she's sensitive and defensive about your response.

I am reminded of nurse publication I used to list as resource.  It may have newer version now?

You're going to have to get her to THINK about all of this differently -- perhaps than she's been trained.

Off to find that book link.

ajasfolks2:
Info about original book -- think was published 2008, so HOPEFULLY there is newer version.

Legal Issues in School Health Services
By Nadine C. Schwab, Mary H. Gelfman

Going to Amazon now to see what's there.

ajasfolks2:
It was published 2005, so really out of date now.

Does not appear a newer version.  Crud.

ajasfolks2:
There may be some help and verbiage you can use from here as you try to work with nurse:

https://www.nasn.org/nasn-resources/practice-topics/food-allergies

PurpleCat:
Consider a different point of view, the more people that know about my DD's food allergies, the safer she will be.   

The more people that know about my DD's food allergies the better chance she could be helped by others during a reaction instead of people standing around wondering what the heck was wrong with her.

The more people that knew about my DD's food allergies the better supported she was as she slowly gained independence and became responsible for herself and it was possible for her to go anywhere, do whatever with her friends, sleepovers, etc.... without parents or parent involvement.

I did not want my DD's food allergies hidden.  No at school, not at dance school, not at her sports events, not anywhere.  And you know what was great?  Her fellow classmates, teammates, peers!  Better than their parents!  Compassionate, careful, questioning, cautious etc...  Many positive years in public school.

She is now in her second year of college.  She had anaphylaxis to a sugar cookie in the wee hours of a morning last fall.  Her roommate gave her the Auvi Q and called 911.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version