FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ben & Jerry's - allergen labeling  (Read 705 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Ben & Jerry's - allergen labeling
« on: August 10, 2023, 07:54:43 AM »
So I'm not sure if this is a smart idea or not, but I'm going to get some Ben & Jerry's for DS to try at home before going to college in the Ben & Jerry's capital of the US.  I just always assumed it was off limits.

Here's there written allergy policy:

Ben & Jerry's has a very proactive approach to addressing the concerns of persons with food sensitivities. We work closely with all of our ingredient suppliers to verify all ingredient components, including those in natural flavors, colors and spices that might be a concern to persons who, either for medical reasons or as a matter of personal preference, wish to avoid certain foods. We insure that this information is then included on the ingredient label of our product.

Our policies and procedures are such that if peanuts or tree nuts (almonds, cashews, chestnuts, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts/filberts, macadamias, Brazil nuts, pine nuts) as well as eggs, milk, fish, shellfish, wheat, soy, seeds, and lupin are not listed in the ingredient declaration or in an Allergy Information statement, then the product is safe to consume for persons with allergies to those ingredients.

We have systems and policies in place to help protect our consumers from cross-contamination. While we process all flavors on shared equipment, Ben & Jerry's employs strict sanitation procedures and processes that ensure complete cleaning of all equipment. Also, while it is virtually impossible to make absolute guarantees, Ben & Jerry's is confident that not only are our products good to eat, they are also safe to eat. For specific information about our products, we ask that you continuously refer to the labels on our products as they are the most complete and most up-to-date source for specific food allergen information.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Re: Ben & Jerry's - allergen labeling
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 09:05:22 AM »
Thanks, Hezz.  Dd eats plenty of Ben and Jerry’s.  We took a tour, and they are quite organized, doing one or two flavors a day( there might have been a couple of lines), then clean and test. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline bleh

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 02:10:38 PM »
I may have to test out Ben and Jerry's. I wish the local grocery stores near me still carried A La Mode ice cream. Ordering it online is way too expensive.
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 03:06:06 PM »
If I could still get a la mode locally, I would just stick with that, but none of our stores have had it for years at this point.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 08:27:27 AM »
Their labeling has been top notch for years.  I brought it up with DS1 years ago and he was intrigued but we couldn’t find boring flavors.  Simple equals safe for him and all of our stores carry the over the top flavors.  (I must admit I share his feelings, 1-2 add ins are fine but they throw in a third that brings it over the top for me).  I might have DS2 look because he is all about the mouth explosion.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA