login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Coffee questions  (Read 515 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Coffee questions
« on: November 12, 2023, 09:52:41 AM »
Let's talk about coffee, flavored coffees and anything else about coffee since I have a college freshman.

I am not a coffee drinker so have very little knowledge other than coffee shops are nightmares in terms of baked goods, alternative milks/creamers, syrups (which also may or may not contain actual tree nuts or maybe just extracts), etc.

So do flavored coffees, like hazelnut coffee, actually contain hazelnut?  This is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.  What else can I educated DS on?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Coffee questions
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 11:03:29 AM »
I know for almond, peach pits are often used. When I’ve asked about the syrups at coffee places, most of the time it’s not actual nuts. But I think it’s important to be brand specific.

Starbucks has his Tuvalu had a treenut milk, too, I think. Not sure, but I remember a former adult member posting on FB that she was concerned.

My DS frequents coffee places and hasn’t had a problem with his PA.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 02:06:36 PM »
Dd does get drinks at Dunks and Starbucks.  She doesn’t typically get a hot coffee, but sometimes iced coffee drinks or lattes.  The latte is usually a fresh brewed espresso, topped with milk.  I’ve expressed concerns about the flavors and almond milk cross contamination, but, I’m not sure she always asks or mentions her allergies unless it’s going into a blender.  I don’t have facts from calling. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
Don Francisco doesn’t have hazelnut or Hawaiian coffee beans (I find the latter funny because the flavor I prefer is Hawaiian Hazelnut).  Hazelnut, pecan and other creamers are a mixed bag of real vs fake.

I was recently at Starbucks with younger two and a classmates mom walked through how to make their drinks safe and uncontaminated - which involved mixing in cup vs blender which just gets a dip and swish. She warned me they aren’t as pretty but my sole goal as safety - complete with her getting a swishing stick from wrapper vs mixing spoon from back. 

Youngest loves boba tea and I have found one chain that makes separate vs mixed, sigh.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 09:00:45 PM »
I have a kid that is allergic to hazelnuts and I have NEVER seen coffee or syrup that has actual hazelnut.  Obvious YMMV but it is almost always artificial flavour.  Funny thing is, the only way she knows what hazelnut taste like is from coffee. 

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 09:02:13 PM »
I have a kid that is allergic to hazelnuts and I have NEVER seen coffee or syrup that has actual hazelnut.  Obvious YMMV but it is almost always artificial flavour.  Funny thing is, the only way she knows what hazelnut taste like is from coffee.

I pigged out on hazelnuts all through Asia.