login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Burgerville (Pacific NW Chain)  (Read 11058 times)

Description: ***

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Burgerville (Pacific NW Chain)
« on: September 14, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/17622

This has got to be one of the most THOROUGH and thoughtful allergen listings I've ever seen anywhere--

Regular menu items:

http://burgerville.com/wp-content/uploads/allergen-ingredient-booklet.pdf

Seasonal items:

(Dec 2010)
http://burgerville.com/wp-content/uploads/december-28-lto-nutrition_ingredients_allergies-2010.pdf

And the company website--
http://burgerville.com/

They claim that they'll even make special orders with UNSHARED fryers upon request. I have no experience to go by there-- and be aware that so much of the menu contains dairy and sesame that it may just not be safe at all for either allergen...

but for PA/TNA? I'd do it.   

I'm actually contemplating letting DD try one of their milkshakes.

No advice, but FWIW, I've eaten their a fair number of times with no problem.

Must find out whether shake mixers are shared, though... they have a seasonal hazelnut offering.

Incidentally--found out today that they also keep ingredient lists on file in all of their restaurants. Including for temporary / seasonal stuff. 

We've eaten there multiple times when on vacation--we deal with PN/TN, SFA. Employees were helpful and worked through our options. Food tastes great too.

Sigh. Now I am very bummed as I'm a few thousand miles away.

If you do milkshakes, please let us know. That would be our only NW ice cream option.

Tigerlily, what allergens are you dealing with? Molly Moon, in Seattle, is PN-free and mixes TNs in by individual batch.

Aha! I now have two places to visit in Seattle. There's Little Ray's Bakery that has gone nut-free (but not a coffee shop--I will need to find packaged items by them) and now Molly Moon. I just need to get *over* there.

Allergens: peanut, treenut, fish.

Avoiding shellfish just for the halibut. No, on porpoise really.

We had a late lunch at Burgerville today.

AWESOME.

I discouraged DD from getting a sandwich only because that would mean a "special order" (since the standard toppings include egg)... and also because they have a breakfast menu which means real eggs cooked on the real grill used to grill burgers.

She ate chicken strips-- which she pronounced "delicious"

rosemary shoestring fries... so good that she got another order to go...

and a medium triple berry shake. Sunshine Dairy produces their mixes, and the ONLY nut XC risks on the entire menu are for hazelnuts (locally grown, on salads and in one shake) and Ghiradelli syrup in a few specialty shakes (Chocolate Cherry, Mocha and a Portland Timbers chocolate-mint thing).

DD is PA/TNA, Egg-allergic, all with extremely high sensitivity.

I had a Turkey Club sandwich, rosemary fries (yum!!) and a mocha shake. (I'm SFA)

DH (TNA) had halibut fish and chips and a diet soda.

This was sort of magical, really... the food is so much better than standard fast food... and mostly local. Definitely "REAL" food.   Burgerville.

Just so seed-allergic folks don't get their hopes up too high, however-- most of the buns and all of the fryer oil is probably off-limits due to sesame/sunflower. Bummer. But at least they tell you, right?

DD has eaten there several times at this point. She is both pn, tn, and egg allergic-- with very high sensitivity.

We do NOT allow her to have any of the Odwalla lemonade items (which are seasonal for spring, btw)-- even though their menu seems to suggest those would be fine, given what I know of Odwalla, I'm not comfortable with it. She also (obviously) doesn't have any of the shakes with XC warnings (mocha, a chocolate cherry thing, and another one that I forget at the moment).

She has had:

Rosemary fries
Fish and chips
chicken strips
triple berry shakes (uhh.. all sizes.   )

No condiments but ketchup, and we also do NOT go when they are packed. Nor do we (in general) mention her allergies, though the one time we did, they were good about it, but basically offered to show us the menu guidance that we'd already seen on-line.

I'm not yet comfortable with a 'special' order, in other words-- so we've yet to get her a sandwich or burger since that would require a special set of instructions. But that's us. We tend to view restaurant dining as a risk anyway-- and one that most restaurant staffers, no matter how polite or helpful, are often ill-equipped to actually comprehend insofar as XC goes. So we mostly try NOT to ask for anything out of the 'ordinary' from a restaurant unless we must.

That's our usual procedure, btw-- we ONLY do standard menu items that are safe already and low-risk for XC, and we only do them when the restaurant is NOT busy. (The tartar sauce that comes with the Halibut Fish and chips is completely sealed in a packet, fwiw.)

FWIW, the halibut doesn't smell XC to me (SFA here), but I wouldn't eat any of the fish anyway. I have eaten the fries without incident.

I've been getting their fresh strawberry shakes and smoothies, too. Soooo good.

Showed up on Friday afternoon without having checked online first. Breaded asparagus spears were on the menu as a short-term seasonal item.

Luckily, it wasn't packed-- it took the manager to figure out which notebook item was using the same battering mix so that we could double check ingredients, but they are egg-free. (Meaning that the fryers are also still safe, since they do share oil routinely.)

I thanked him again on our way out.   

Alright, returned from the enchanted land of Burgervilles. With Rita's out, I was dubious about ice cream in a restaurant, heck, ice cream period. I checked the website. Spoke with three different store managers--one time during a burger-only lunch to investigate.

We had strawberry shortcakes and the Triple Berry milkshake.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 01:47:30 PM by hezzier »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Burgerville (Pacific NW Chain)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:43:30 PM »
It's PUMPKIN MILKSHAKE time!!!

(EPIC, as DD said.)  OMigosh... just like DRINKING a pumpkin pie.  No-- a WHOLE pumpkin pie.   :misspeak: :hiding:

Mmmmmmm... and wild Coho burgers... and sweet potato fries.  Yum.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
 :happydance: Okay, okay I will channel happy thoughts for you instead jealousy. Can't it be Pacific NW and the SE? Folks hear need to giggle over the pronunciation of Walla Walla. Epic wonderfulness indeed.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
Even funnier?

WallaWalla is a place.

In WA.

:rofl:

One word of caution-- Burgerville frequently has a seasonal shake in November and Dec. that includes hazelnuts.

Western U.S.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 04:10:51 PM »
I love Walla Walla--both as a place and as an onion. I like it as a ferry boat too. It was quite a downer to move to a Walla Walla onion-less region.

No plans to return in November and December so we'll be well removed from the hazelnuts. May you continue to enjoy pumpkin milkshakes as long as possible before they appear.

DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:48 PM »
Okay-- Christmas seasonal items are out-- the good news:

NO NUTS in shakes this year.  YAY! 

Bad news:

Egg Nog shakes contain EGG.

Good news:

restaurant managers and all staff are trained to keep those shakes on ONE shake machine in the restaurant-- YAY, no cross-contamination risk with other shakes!

DD ate a Tillamook Cheeseburger and had a regular strawberry shake without any problems-- the burger was a special order, of course, because of no mayo, and they offered to let us swap the sesame seed bun out, too. 

Anyone that goes to a Burgerville-- just ask to see "the Notebook" for allergen info.  Every restaurant has one.   :heart:

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:15 PM »
Hazelnut shakes are gone for the year, btw.   :thumbsup:

Western U.S.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »
Thank you for the update. June would likely be the earliest we arrive in Burgerville territory. Just in time for the strawberry shortcakes. Berry shakes.

Thanks too for the notebook info. There were times when we didn't have internet access when traveling to check on allergen info online.

DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12:36 AM »
Wallawalla onion rings are here... mmmmMMMMmmmmmmMMMmmmmMMMmmmm...

And while strawberry sundaes/shakes are gone, the RASPBERRY versions are here. 

(I'm merely biding my time, waiting for that few short weeks in August when there will be.... blackberry. )   :thumbsup:

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 08:02:16 PM »

(I'm merely biding my time, waiting for that few short weeks in August when there will be.... blackberry. )   :thumbsup:

All of that sounds so yummy.  I wish we had something like Burgerville in the Mid-Atlantic.  Instead we're the birthplace of the peanut-happy Five Guys. :(
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 10:56:20 PM »
'Sokay-- I can eat a sundae for you.  I will just have to spend an hour on the treadmill first.   :misspeak:  I think all in all, it's pretty even.  We don't have Rita's.  Or Broadway.   ;)

And Burgerville even (jokingly) notes that they are "inconveniently located for most of America."  Gotta like that kind of sense of humor about these things.

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 06:58:58 AM »

All of that sounds so yummy.  I wish we had something like Burgerville in the Mid-Atlantic.  Instead we're the birthplace of the peanut-happy Five Guys. :(

They're just taunting us with talk of things like Blackberry Milkshakes.

And BTW, Rita's is no longer a destination.  They've added nutty stuff.   :tongue:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 12:24:30 PM »
Well, clearly there is a solution.  You must all come and visit ME, then.   

Ra3chel and I will take you on a tour of Burgerville restaurants.   :thumbsup:

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2012, 01:32:55 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Be careful what you ask for.  :evil:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »

Oh I definitely want to visit your area of the country at some point.  Will definitely want to look you and Ra3chel up when we do.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber