FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Time magazine- Joel Stein  (Read 2941 times)

Description: LINK

Offline SilverLining

Time magazine- Joel Stein
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Re: Time magazine- Joel Stein
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 08:45:06 AM »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:58:59 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:52:31 AM »
 :thumbsup:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
After reading Joel Stein's wife's blog, I can see why they are married.  Two peas in a pod
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 11:15:54 AM »
I thought the same thing AllergyMom.  I feel bad for their son because I don't get the sense that he has the two stongest advocates for him because his parents still seem somewhat in denial.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 11:29:54 AM »
Maybe.

And maybe they're just fortunate that their son has a pretty high threshold.  <shrug>  The vast majority of people with a PA do, fwiw.

I'd like to offer my personal assistance with Broccoli Dad.   :paddle:

Other than that-- a recommendation--

the comments following the blog post are rather typically awful.  Darwin, homeschooling, and GMO foods make an all-too-predictable appearance early on...   :disappointed:  Can't say you weren't warned.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
Shrug, I thought she was doing her best.  I loved the humorous take on it.  Did I miss something where she didn't say she was advocating for her child?  I enjoyed the humor.

I don't think I ever wished an allergen on his family.  The road sucks.  I think I did wish his fingers would shrivel off so he couldn't write anymore drivel.  Or maybe it was his manhood. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »
Yeah I am peach mom. 

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 05:15:16 PM »
YKW, it was more in her comments to other posters in the comments section.

CM, it could be that the child has a high threshold but I was basing my comment more on this:

“Okay… No peanut butter.” I said, “No! No nut butter! All nuts!”. My husband, whose fear of being socially ostracized might override his fatherly protective instincts, said, “Um, other kids can have nuts. Our son can be around them…. He just can’t eat them.” Joel defended the class rights to nuts because he doesn’t want to be a party pooper.

This is in a preschool.  While it might be fine for older kids to have nuts around a child with a nut allergy, it's not a good thing among young kiddos and I don't see a parent willing to undermine protections for their child because of social discomfort as being an effective advocate for them.

I also kind of see this as in denial to the risk (at least with younger children) that having nuts in the classroom poses.

We’re sorry if you think your nut butters are so important during that half hour of the day. And personally, we’d actually be cool with you bringing your nut butters to school. Laszlo won’t have a reaction to it from it’s mere presence in the room.

I'm sorry but to me she came across as one of those parents who thinks their child's allergy isn't that bad.  It might not be but you never know what that next reaction is going to be like and it's best to prepare for the worst.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:22:49 PM by maeve »
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
Eh.

I think they're still learning.  They're only about a year or so into things, after all.  I daresay that we probably weren't much better at that point in time.

Sure, they still come across as being a little.. er...

"WE are never going to be reactionary and awful over this... not like SOME people..."

But honestly, they are learning that it doesn't even MATTER how 'reasonable' you think you are being-- because people like Broccoli dad are always going to be out there.

Unless you're willing to be so reasonable, of course, that you simply take your inconveniently afflicted child away and shove him or her into a cupboard under a stairwell and make sure that the rest of humanity never has to see or hear about the problem...

well.  Y'all know what I'm getting at.

I'm guessing that in another four or five years, they may well be singing a different tune.  Because she seems to be seething about the same things that we do-- that how no matter HOW much we try to take on for ourselves in the way of responsibility, it's never enough for some people, and the only explanations are that those people really ARE that malevolently ignorant, or that they are irretrievably devoid of any and all compassion for anyone.  I find the fact that she's noticing that and remarking on it so early is a good sign, mostly. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 09:10:48 PM »
I actually think it's really a good article.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
I thought it was funny, and well written. I don't understand though why she is in denial about the allergy? I don't know that if our kids have an allergy that I would push a nut ban, and I have nut allergies to base my choice off of.  :dunno:
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin