Home Ec class (ajasfolks2)

Started by Firebird, September 15, 2011, 09:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

ajasfolks2
QuoteLots of variations as to when Home Ec is taught and WHAT is taught in today's schools.

If there's a thread already started dedicated to this topic, please let me know & re-raise it & we'll keep going on it. 

Otherwise, let er rip!

Classroom dedicated?  Or using cafeteria kitchen?

How to handle:

What's on your 504 or IEP and why?

Utensils & cooking pans/pots/bowls etc.?

Checking and approving supply list?

School nurse involved, if you have one, and to what extent?

How much notice do you get as to the project?

What else can you think of?

(I know some of this is buried within a couple of MS and HS threads here . . . feel free to copy/paste your own stuff here or others' with their permission.)

ajasfolks2:
Is there a section on FOOD ALLERGIES taught within the class?

FAAN info included in any way?

GingerPye:
QuoteThere is at least one other thread on this.

DD did a presentation on FAs in her home ec class.  They were required to do a presentation on some health topic -- this class was not just cooking.  Family and Consumer Sciences.

The teacher said she really got an education on FAs, both from DD and from me when I worked with her on how to accomodate DD. 

I met with the teacher after school and we went through page by page in the home ec workbook -- discussed all recipes/ingredients, cooking utensils, etc.  I provided a few recipes and more allergy-safe ingredients.

Classroom kitchen was used for cooking.  I told the teacher to rewash everything in the kitchen DD would be using.  (teacher said she did; I didn't follow up on this, but I believed her.)  Recipes in DD's group did not have her allergens. 

One recipe used peanut butter --- I gave her a different recipe and a jar of Sunbutter.  (Puppy Chow recipe)  I also supplied vegan sour cream, etc. for some veggie and fruit dips they were making.  I supplied Enjoy Life choc. chips for cookies. 

I approved everything else and told the teacher exactly what to buy for other recipes such as breakfast wraps --- they used tortillas, veggies, and soy cheese --- no eggs. 

There were absolutely no problems -- DD cooked safely with her group, ate the food safely in the classroom. 

That's not to say another child with more extreme reactions such as contact or inhalant reactions would not have problems in such a classroom.  But it worked for DD.   

ajasfolks2
QuoteLinking to related/older threads here:

Home Ec Class (in light of cupcake queen discussion here)
booandbrimom
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=11&post_id=50#50

Junior hi/home ec
GingerPye
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=4099&post_id=72625#72625

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

LinksEtc

Just linking other Home Ec threads:

504 problem

Home Ec

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview