login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: NOT A FAAN  (Read 3360 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: NOT A FAAN
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

FAAN Conferences in 2012 Feature Food Allergy Training *

* The 2012 FAAN conferences will feature a special session called:  Advocating for Your Child with Food Allergies at School.  These sessions will be hosted by leading experts:

-Maria Acebal, CEO of FAAN

-Eleanor Garrow , VP Education & Outreach, FAAN
-Nicole Smith, Founder of Allergic Child
-Gina Clowes, Coach and Advocate at AllergyMoms

These experts will discuss 504 Plans, Individualized Education Plans, Individual Health Plans, common food allergy management strategies and their personal experiences in advocating for allergic children at school. 
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:26:27 AM »
From a FAAN Facebook page post by Eleanor Garrow:

Register today for FAAN's Food Allergy Conferences! We have great speakers and topics scheduled, along with teens (11-18) having an all-day session!

Here are just a few of the sessions you can look forward to attending:
 • Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Management. A comprehensive primer on food allergy management will be led in Illinois and California by Todd Mahr, M.D., and in New York by Anna Nowak-Wegrzyn, M.D. Dr. Mahr and Dr. Nowak-Wegrzyn will also lead the “Food Allergy Research” sessions and will answer questions.
• When Parents Endure Bullying and Negativity From Their Peers and School Personnel. This session delves into the emotional impact of managing food allergies, and aims to help parents who face negativity from other adults. Kristen Kauke, L.C.S.W., will lead sessions in Illinois and California, and Brett Greenberger, M.D., will lead sessions in New York.
• Allergic Girl: Adventures of Living Well with Food Allergies. Sloane Miller, L.M.S.W., author of Allergic Girl, will share her experiences and offer expert advice of living life to the fullest while managing food allergies. She will be speaking in Illinois and New York.

We’ll also be offering an Allergy-Free Food Preparation Workshop led by cookbook authors Kelly Woyan Rudnicki in Illinois, Lori Sandler in New York, and Cybele Pascal in California. Other sessions include Advocating for Your Child With Food Allergies at School, led by FAAN senior staff and Nicole Smith of AllergicChild.com; and Adults With Food Allergies.

A special session will be offered for school nurses (led by Christine Szychlinski in Illinois, Kim Mudd and Sally Noone in New York, and Pam Steele in California), and an all-day session will be offered for teens to discuss topics of interest with their peers, such as food allergy management strategies, college, dating, traveling, and dining out.

New this year, Gina Clowes, FAAN’s Vice President of Member Relations, will lead a Members Only Post-Conference Debrief and Decompress Session to address lingering questions and teach skills to feel calmer and more confident.

Thoughts?

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 02:44:15 PM »
After I read about this year's conference I feel like going --- I want to go to the cooking session with Kelly Rudnicki.

DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:40:10 PM »
We went to last year`s conference.  Dd was 16 and made some MFA friends there, which was great.  She has not had an MFA friend before, only a pa friend which is really a lot different as far as dietary restrictions.  She met Kendall the ambassador/skater which was great.  Most of the teens had diets more restricted that dd (milk/peanut/tree nut) and I liked the fact that she realized some kids have it worse than her. The down side for dd about the "teen sessions" was that you only had to be 11 to get participate.  Dd said there was an 11 year old 5th grader and she wanted to talk about some things but felt inhibited.  They were having a really good talk about drinking and how not only it impairs you, but if your epi trained friends are drinking, can you really count on them to pull through if you need them to epi you.  Then the 5th grader said why would you be drinking anyhow, you aren`t old enough to drink.  True, but it happens.  Dd knows kids who are already drinking in 11th grade, and I like having it addressed....all the possibilities.  If they would make the teen session for real teens, that would be great.  Dd still had a good time meeting other MFA teens, but she said that the kids really clammed up after the 5th grader essentially passed judgment on teen drinking.  She wanted to talk about kissing, but didn`t dare bring it up after that.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:42:31 PM by Carefulmom »

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
So there's no conference in Baltimore this year?  That's a shame.  I was really hoping to go this year.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »
carefulmom, FAAN's Teen Summit splits the teens into two groups, to address that very issue.  The younger ones are 11-14, I think, and then the older teens.  That way they can discuss the dating thing, drinking, etc. with the older teens.

Dd is ready to go again this year .... we've gone to two teen summits so far.  The one and only thing that bugs me about teen summit is .... the National Peanut Council is a sponsor.  Why?  WHY?!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
Yes, that would make it much better.  By age 15 they are dealing with totally different issues than 11 and 12 year olds.  I wish they would do it that way for the conferences, but I think they probably don`t have enough teens to split them.  I think there were about 16 or 18 kids at the FAAN conference.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
There is a conference in NY at end of April.