FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New AAP Guidelines for Management of Food Allergy in Schools  (Read 2168 times)

Description: (Carefulmom) Jan 2011

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
New AAP Guidelines for Management of Food Allergy in Schools
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
Carefulmom
I have not read it yet, but thought I would post it in case there is anything useful for people who have having problems with their school as far as accomodations.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/reprint/peds.2010-2575v1

ETA: I read part of it and it addresses not making the child sit alone at the allergen free table and that kids with safe lunches shold be able to sit with the allergic child (page 1236).

ajasfolks2
Just some details & some excerpts (it is 10 pages long).

Article title is

Clinical Report -- Management of Food Allergy in the School Setting
American Academy of Pediatrics, 2010

Helpful as to push for 504 and INDIVIDUAL accommdations (beyond the standard IHCP &/or school's "allergy policy")

AVOIDANCE STRATEGIES, .pdf p.5
Avoidance strategies appropriate for a
specific child may vary on the basis of
the nature of the allergy, circumstances
unique to the particular institution,
age of the child, and the child’s
developmental stage and disposition.

I'll try to get back in here to post other helpful excerpts.

There is some wording that is NOT so helpful too, IMO.

Please take the time to read!

Carefulmom
It also addresses bullying. I read the whole thing last night. Yes, it is written for doctors, so has a bit of medical terminology in there.

Newbienutfreemomma
It mentions keeping child in supine positions with legs up if having severe Ana reaction. I wasn't aware of this should I have it add to my dd's 504?

socks on a rooster
I don't know if I am allowed to quote a part of the article, if not, you can remove. This part really bothers me:

"Pediatricians (and allergists) are
encouraged to counsel parents
about the level of exposure that
might be dangerous for a specific
child, such as ingestion versus inhalation
versus touching food residues,
so that parents are appropriately
vigilant without becoming
needlessly hypervigilant about
avoidance strategies, particularly
because they might affect schools or neighbors." 

Carefulmom
It mentions keeping child in supine positions with legs up if having severe Ana reaction. I wasn't aware of this should I have it add to my dd's 504?

I think you should ask your allergist, since this is really a medical question. 

Mfamom

We have it in our emergency care plan.  There is a good thread here somewhere called Posturing during Anaphylaxis.  The thought is that you should be in "shock" position.  Suddenly standing etc. could cause drop in BP

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:25:49 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!