FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How is this new school year going for everyone?  (Read 1937 times)

Description:

Offline AllergyMum

How is this new school year going for everyone?
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
Now that we are a couple of weeks into the new school year, how is it going for everyone?

For use, it was a pretty stressful start as my MFA son was starting at a new school and a new after school program at the school, and all the kids eat in the classroom.  Stress on stress on stress for my husband & myself.  However, we lucked out with an amazing teacher (love her so much - great with allergies and as a teacher) and a great after school ECE.  And there are good processes in place for allergy safety and inclusion.  Still stressful, but things are looking good.  We feel very blessed.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: How is this new school year going for everyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
Allergymum,  glad things seem to be going well & your son is settling into new school and programs.

:thumbsup:

We have had decidedly contrasting experience this year -- just between our 2 LTFA children and their 2 differennt schools (in same district, though).

I'm hoping eventually I can post more detail -- but we're in the throes of 504 Plan Revise for one and 504 Eval/eligibility determination for the other so I need to hold back for now . . . . It is a learning process for everyone.  All over again.

If I could name ONE thing that seems to be the MAJOR problem -- it is when staff clearly and openly value the use of food (unnecessary and uninhibited) OVER the child's right to just . . . BE.     :disappointed:

I shake my head and wonder how those same staff came to even be working with children in any capacity, let alone my children.

~e
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
I think we may have just hit a major snag in the principal's need to lump all of the food allergic kids together in one class.  Oh yes, I know about the illegal aspects of that - I don't think she did though and she opened up her mouth at a meeting to say that was her plan for the year. 

Keep digging dear principal, keep digging.

Of course this wouldn't be an issue except your teachers insist on using food in lesson plans...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
I'm hopeful.

Last year I had the issue of the principal saying "As his mother you might want to rethink whether it's in his best interests --safety wise -- to allow him to attend this trip."  And, misquoting Sabrina's Law to me.  and....a few other things handled very poorly allergy-wise.

so, I ended the year by sending a written request to have the garbage can moved.  It was moved for day 1.  Moved back on day 3.  a phone call to the principal and the garbage can has not been an issue since.   :thumbsup:

A newsletter came home...requesting no nuts or trace-amount products go to school.  I'm unsure whether they intentionally left off peanuts if there's no students with that allergy, or if they confused peanuts as nuts.  But, not my kids allergy, so hopefully other parents read it and correct it if needed.  The trace-amounts thing is new.  No biggie to me.  But, what I did like in the newsletter.....she has added in a paragraph on a form which corrects the improper information she was attributing to Sabrina's Law.   :thumbsup: 

But, we're only a few weeks in, so I'm still a bit on pins and needles.

Offline mom2AnH

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
our issues aren't allergy-related and I can't really say too much.

But let's just say .... all hands on deck are well-aware of the situation now  ;D  :thumbsup:

I'm supposed to be hearing from Spec Ed Director or Admin tomorrow.

Oy! things cannot happen soon enough!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:58:01 PM »
Well, I haven't approached the school about the non-allergy stuff yet.  Very different situation than yours.  I do have two requests to make.  One is a no-brainer - set up his computer.  I don't expect an issue over that.  The computer was in the class the first day....last year it took until February.  But, the teacher isn't allowed to set it up, so I plan to talk to him this week to see when it will be set up.  Second request is for some testing, and it should be planned whether I request it or not.  (They need my signature, but they should be coming to me soon with the form.  I'm just not waiting....I'm going to raise the subject in case it's not as automatic as I think it should be.)

Offline kouturekat

• formerly ryansmom
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
I love it!  DD#2 and DS#1 are both enjoying the start of the year at the local middle school and high school.  DD#2 is a Senior so of course she's loving it :) .

DS#2 is doing so well in cyberschool.  It's more work that B&M by far, but it's so worth it for him.  He simply has the personality for this setup.
Formerly RM, ryansmom,

“I’m well aware I’m not everyone’s cup of tea…I’d rather be someone’s shot of tequila anyway.”

Offline lala

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
Worst. year. ever.  My ds has been sent home at least 5 times with reactions.  Hives usually at least once a week.  Was so bad we actually took him back to the allergist to see if he had redeveloped allergies he previously outgrew.  Nope.

Wanna know the worst part?  His teacher has a son with peanut allergies. :disappointed: