login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: decided to check out a new resturant this past weekend.  (Read 1564 times)

Description:

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
decided to check out a new resturant this past weekend.
« on: September 20, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »
what a night mare! first went to steak escape in the mall. i was not so thrilled about eating in a food court to begin with but found out they cook in peanut oil. other options in the mall were not in our comfort zone so we left. tried church's chicken. manage was great took the labels off everything my dd wanted to eat. i ask what the batter is on the chicken and he says oh just flour and some seasonings but went to get the label. meanwhile we decide everything else was ok and place our order. he comes back with label and there on the bottom manufactured in plant with tree nuts. another strike so next we try el pollo loco and the manager there didnt seem real confident in her answers so yet another strike. then off to wendy's  which makes salads that have nuts but girl says they arent added to salads are indiv. wrapped but honestly didnt know about any of there other foods. at this point i'm so full of emotions we just go to burger king. the day before my dd wanted mcd's chicken nuggets to which she reacted(said her tongue was bleeding) to the last time she had them. so had to tell her we could go there but no nuggets and she says i'm not hungry tonight anyway i dont want to eat.  :-[ food allergies suck
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

Offline Janelle205

Re: decided to check out a new resturant this past weekend.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
I hate restaurant frustration.  Occasionally fiancee will complain that we always go to the same places, but really, I usually just don't want to deal with the effort of getting a new place.

Hugs.

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »
Yes, yes, they do.   Sorry.  We ate at McDonalds more times than I ever, ever cared to. Because it was a known quantity, which is much better than making the rounds while hungry.

I also started pre-planning where we might eat ahead of time, and researching it - usually here.  I've also been known to post via my iPhone to the group about good/safe restaurants while I'm out and about, hoping for an immediate answer.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:40 PM »
 :grouphug:

HATE the restaurant-go-round.

Just for future reference, our never-fail standby for DD when we get into a bind like that (she's PA/TNA/Egg-allergic) is Wendy's Chili.  Or a Taco Bell bean burrito, or pintos-n-cheese and a side of rice.

It's not the GREATEST thing, food-wise, but it's safe and they generally have it.  We used to rely on Wendy's baked potatoes, but occasionally... they would be OUT of them.   :bonking:

(Yeah--- not a good scene when everyone ELSE has food but your very hungry FA 5yo.  :disappointed: Worst. feeling. EVER.)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:15:29 AM »
So sorry you had such bad luck with going out to eat! :grouphug:

I think the key to eating out is pre planning. Calling, checking with the manager, and then confirming once you get there. That way you don't get the run around.

Also, many places will post an allergy key under the nutrition section of their site. Wendy's does (and the nuts are pre packed then sent, the girl was correct) McDonald's does, BK does, etc.  If you have any near you, I have always had great luck with Outback and Buffalo Wild Wings.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin