login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Multiple food allergies in dd's friend  (Read 1654 times)

Description: Not...

Offline aggiedog

Multiple food allergies in dd's friend
« on: September 22, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
I can't find the post at the old site, but I had posted the beginning of the summer about a camp mate of dd who "was allergic to 30 foods...", diagnosed thru blood tests, and had no epi and was at a camp with no nurse, no centralized food service, lots of donated snacks all piled together, etc, etc, etc.

Dd tells me this weekend that he had originally gone to this doctor because he had overall just not been feeling well, the doctor did the tests, told him he was allergic, and should avoid everything he tested postive for.  After many months of feeling no better, they went to a new doctor who told them the first diagnosis was all bunk, and that the method of testing was completely unreliable.

I had originally posted because as a community, I think we do need to try to support one another, particularly parents you may not know well enough to say "honestly, I'm not sure I believe all that..." and then get the full story.  But I was also conflicted because touting your child's "allergies" like that makes it that more difficult for kids like my dd to get full understanding about neccessary accomodations.

Poor kid.  Poor mom.  I'm sure she was trying to do what was best for him.  Now he's apparently adding an item back every week into his diet, on the off chance that there was a miniscule bit of accuracy with the first doctor.

As for that first doctor... :fishslap:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Multiple food allergies in dd's friend
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »
I'll bet it was this thread:

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/19362/post_id/418949#418949

Wow-- well, I am really happy for this other family that they didn't spend YEARS avoiding foods needlessly.  That's terrific-- and good for the parents for seeking a second opinion when something didn't add up.   :yes:

Hopefully they will turn up something that explains the child's malaise as they go through reintroduction.  Avoiding one thing and doing it WELL is a lot easier than avoiding a dozen...

and once you are actually avoiding your allergen completely, it's like MAGIC how much better you feel.   :heart:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline aggiedog

Re: Multiple food allergies in dd's friend
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »
Thanks, CM.  I'm abysmal at searches.

Yes, I do hope they find the true root of his issues.  He's a neat kid.

But if it is a FA, hopefully they learn how to truly avoid.