login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Off-topic, still somewhat allergy-related - Mosquito bites!  (Read 3152 times)

Description:

Offline Dewey

Off-topic, still somewhat allergy-related - Mosquito bites!
« on: September 24, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
I know it's not food allergy related but I thought I'd ask here - does anyone have any suggestions for dealing with mosquito bites? I spent a few hours outside last night, and there were hordes of mosquitoes out in full force. I had on long pants, but my arms and the back of my neck are covered with mosquito bites - I have 20+ just on one arm and the itching is driving me crazy!

I've already taken a dose of Benadryl today because my environmental allergies are terrible right now - anyone have additional suggestions for how to reduce itching?

Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Off-topic, still somewhat allergy-related - Mosquito bites!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 04:55:32 PM »
Benedryl round the clock for a couple days is the only thing that helps me.  I've tried all the topicals.  Lanicane helps a bit but they all wear off and I swear rubbing them in causes the itching too!

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
Next time, rubbing some common plantain (Plantago major) on the bites might help.  Just take the leaves and crush them and smear them on.  Or chew them and smear them on.  It's a widespread weed here, so I can always find some in my yard.

It helps for a brief period of time.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:44 PM »
I know when I was a kid, my mother would make a paste of a little meat tenderizer and water.  If you put it on right away, it really does help.  Just leave it until it dries and then brush it off.

DD gets huge hives from mosquito bites, but I never have any meat tenderizer.  :P  She usually gets some relief from putting an ice cube on it for a few minutes, but that might be hard with so many bites!  Sorry you're miserable!!

Ooooh yes, just saw Krasota's post.  DD did that when we were at the Ozark Folk Center - one of the docents showed her which leaves and how to do it.  She didn't hive up from the bites she put it on!  :yes:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 07:38:34 AM »
I've always used a cotton ball soaked in the hottest water I could stand, and then press it down hard on the bite.  Again, might be hard with so many bites!

Feel better.  :console:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
Not sure how comfortable you would feel doing so with allergies, but we get great relief from Burt's Bees Bug Bite Relief stick.  I get quarter sized mosquito bites and it calms them immediately.  I am lucky that if I can get through the first three hours without itching, they go away.  But if I itch, what a mess.

We have also had good luck with just plain camphor oil from the health food store.

I cannot recommend the Burts all natural bug bite repellant though.  I think I got attacked more while wearing that and on top of that, it caused DH to have an asthma attack.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
Just so folks know, meat tenderizer = papain.  Usually.  Those with papaya allergies should beware.  (And some folks with latex allergies may also react.)
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 05:26:01 AM »
Witch hazel helps, temporarily. I love witch hazel--it smells nice and is good for so many uses.

There is also a product called After-Bite.  DD brought that to sleepover camp.  Since I wasn't there, I don't know how well it works.
USA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »
It's the end of September, I shouldn't have to worry about this.  But NOOOOOOOOO.  Unusual for us lately, warm morning and I get devoured at the bus stop LOL
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
I usually use a combination of oral benadryl and the one topical itch medication that comes in a pen-like applicator and has ammonia in it. (I can't remember the name.  If you've scratched any of the skin open on the bite, it will HURT when you put the ammonia on it, but it helps.

I get HUGE hives from mosquito bites - when they are itching really bad and I don't have anything handy to put on them, a quick slap right on top of the bite often helps as well.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
It's the end of September, I shouldn't have to worry about this.  But NOOOOOOOOO.  Unusual for us lately, warm morning and I get devoured at the bus stop LOL

Last night I was outside talking to a neighbor at 6 PM.  I felt like I was in Florida at the height of the summer - the little buggers were swarming all over us.  Yuck.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
There is also a product called After-Bite.  DD brought that to sleepover camp.  Since I wasn't there, I don't know how well it works.

Ooooh.  This is what I was talking about when I mentioned the one with the ammonia in it - just didn't read the previous posts well enough!

It works for me, but you can't get the 'no-sting' version.  Only the original works for me - no pain, no gain.