FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food Allergies in Schools  (Read 1639 times)

Description: Evolving Policies Make the News

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
Food Allergies in Schools
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »
http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/lifestyles/7893487-423/spike-in-food-allergies-prompts-schools-to-ban-limit-shared-treats.html

District 92 is joined by several other local elementary districts in not allowing students and parents to bring food into the classrooms to be shared on special occasions. This year, Kirby School District 140, Palos Community Consolidated School District 118 and Cardinal Bernardin School in Orland Hills are among those prohibiting cupcakes, cookies and other food treats to celebrate Halloween, Christmas or Valentine’s Day. Instead, games will be the focus, and in some cases, teachers will supply treats.

I know a nurse with a child having a peanut allergy in one of those schools personally (not the one listed in the article), and my guess is she was pivotal to changes taking place. She's also been participating in the LaCross sublingual therapy. Kudos to her.  :)

It's no surprise to me so many nurses are mentioned in this sort of good news.  ;D
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: Food Allergies in Schools
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 12:26:47 PM »
Thank you for sharing this.

The more of these announcements we have, the more we can share these with our own schools who have not made this type of proactive change . . . yet.

Thank you!   :thumbsup:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline lala

Re: Food Allergies in Schools
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
Thanks for posting this!