FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Non food item labels  (Read 1827 times)

Description:

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
Non food item labels
« on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
Do u check them for allergens?  Soaps lotions paint ect.  Just curious. I do but often wonder if a reaction could really occur if something contained an allergen since item isnt consumed.
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

Offline SweetandSour

Re: Non food item labels
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:53 PM »
I abide by every label, every time. I used something with a nut oil,and had a reaction. Just because it isn't consumed, doesn't mean it is ok to use! And a lot of lotions and body washes have nutty stuff. I don't worry about xcontamination though.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 10:56:56 PM »
paint-no, but soaps, lotions, chapsticks - yes, really don't need to find out the hard way that DS has become contact reactive (at the moment he is not) after slathering him from head to toe with some lotion containing nut oils.

birdseed/pet foods/pet treats/small animal bedding - you definitely want to check these
also potting soil has been know to have peanut shells

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 05:14:50 AM »
Actually, I don't.  I just try to stick with brands that DS has never had a problem with.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:36:11 AM »
I have reacted to make-up with my allergens in it.  I think something on your skin is absorbed through the pores.

My son does not give his dogs treats with peanuts on days I'm visiting.  His dogs don't usually lick people.....but chances are they would the day they ate that.

Offline krasota

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Yes, I do.  It's very easy to ingest something once you've put it on.  Hand-to-mouth is quite effective.  You know what shampoo tastes like because it can run into your mouth while you're washing your hair.  Eye makeup can get into your tear ducts, which drain into your nasal passages and down the back of your throat.

I also have a lot of other contact allergies and sensitivities, so I'd have to read ingredients anyway.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »
good points ladies! i use all the california baby products for my dd. is there another brand that allergen free?
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
Yes, I do.  It's very easy to ingest something once you've put it on.  Hand-to-mouth is quite effective.  You know what shampoo tastes like because it can run into your mouth while you're washing your hair.  Eye makeup can get into your tear ducts, which drain into your nasal passages and down the back of your throat.

I also have a lot of other contact allergies and sensitivities, so I'd have to read ingredients anyway.

Ditto.

As a general rule, we use the plainest, most ARTIFICIAL products that we can find which work.

LOL.  Like Bill the Cat around here... "Oh, YAAAAY!  Look, guys, 100% artificial ingredients!"

It's just a short-cut to knowing that there aer NO botanical allergens in the product.  Because manufacturers sem to have this pathological need to doll up ingredients on labels with either Latin or ethnically "common" names from various places around the world.  Makes them sound.... "exotic."

Whatever.  Maybe it sells to some people, but anything that is that big a pain in my rump to research I'm probably just putting back without purchasing.  KWIM?

(See recent thread started by Irene here in main for an example of what I mean.  She made the same decision that I would have on that one... ???  Oh well, then, I don't probably need it anyway... )

Candles are another thing to watch-- because burning/heating very definitely causes aerosilization of the material.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.