FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Really! Groupon! Really! OMG  (Read 6345 times)

Description:

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

Offline gufyduck

Re: Really! Groupon! Really! OMG
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe they would post something like that.  On a positive note, the comments are quite supportive of FA's

Offline IowaMom

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
Unbelievable. But true about the comments. I've never seen so many comments from people actually sticking up for those with food allergies!!
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 05:53:22 PM »
DH called and cancelled his Groupon account.  I will do the same.  He said the two people he dealt with in customer service apologized.

As for the comments, I'm a bit shocked that they don't moderate the comments and have left one up that uses the F word on a page meant for kids.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
I don't do Groupon, never seen the site before.  But I am very impressed with the number of people defending FA tolerance.  Wow, that's a nice change.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 02:43:48 AM »
I just sent an email to cancel my groupon account. I'll probably call tomorrow too.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:16:30 AM »
Very pleased with all the comments.  Usually the comments are so mean, but this time every one of them (that I read) was defending those with PA.
USA

Offline my3guys

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
I just unsuscribed and there was this "funny" little skit after you unsuscribe, where you can "punish derrick", with a picture of a guy at a computer.  So I clicked on the button to see what would happen, and a guy comes along, gets into a fight with him, and throws coffee in his face, and Derrick covers his face in pain. More bad humor.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
Yeah. Sickening.

In addiiton to cancelling, I had the opportunity today to not give them some business I was proposing to give them at work. Yesterday, before I read this last night on FB, I had made an appointment to talk with a salesperson. When he called me this morning at the appointed time, I told him I couldn't use a company that made light of the exclusion of children.  He laughed.

Ugh.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 09:20:58 AM »
Are you kidding me?  He laughed?!!  Wow.  I would call and ask to talk to his supervisor, let him know he thinks it's funny they are losing business.  Although the rest of the company doesn't seem to care either  ~) .
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 08:43:17 PM »
I got this email:

We certainly do not intend to offend anyone with our writing. I will share your feedback with our editorial staff.

I have deleted your account.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance or if you have any questions.

Regards,

Stasia
support@groupon.com
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Susan

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
I got the same form e-mail.  When I responded to say that I wanted them to take down the offensive article, they sent it again!  :rant:  :paddle:  :toothbrush: :banghead: :tongue: ~)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
The whole thing seems in bad taste.  "your lieing mother" "why go up a tree when you can go down a well and get famous".

I need a pukey emoticon.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »
Do not quote:
This is the email I sent a group at work proposing not to use Groupon, including our CEO, from whom I got a message in agreement.  :)

Well, I had some cool links to show the group about other races using Groupon and was prepared to share that what seems to be the tipping point for success is offering about 50% off.  And I was prepared to say that we might not net on this deal if we do it before the t-shirt deadline, but if we think of it in terms of acquisition (which I never expect to net on), it might be a cool thing to try. 

I had called Groupon yesterday to determine our best strategy and to see if Groupon’s take on this would be cost prohibitive to us (there aren’t any upfront costs, but they take a percentage of each sale), but the salesperson called me back as I was heading out.  I asked him to call me back this morning at 10:00 am.

However, last night on Facebook I saw a Groupon page that troubled me.  Apparently Groupon has a blog-like section that is intended to be irreverent, satirical and funny, “Groupon Says.” They’re found at the bottom of the Featured Deal as you can see here:  http://www.groupon.com/<our city>/ But what I saw was in very poor taste and lacked good judgment. Worse, it promotes exclusion and bullying, even if they’re trying to be funny about it.

And I told the salesperson this morning that I cannot in good conscience do business with his company.

http://www.groupon.com/groupon_says/groupon-says-47268927

If you can’t follow the link, I’ve put a screenshot of the post below.

You might think this is harmless, but I’ve seen too many “let natural selection take its course with these kids” reader comments from *adults* when news stories about life threatening food allergies appear online.  There are folks in our society who don’t need encouragement to exclude others.  If Groupon had used “no one with a disability allowed” (a life threatening food allergy is a hidden disability according to the ADA), the absurdity of this sentence might have been understood.  Or, how about “no Aspies (referring to someone with Asperger’s) allowed”?  Right—absurd.

In my own situation, my child has been made to sit in the hallway at school more than once when a mom brought in cupcakes for (almost) everyone while the rest of the class had a party in the classroom—because it was somehow okay to exclude the kid with a peanut allergy and because having junk food was somehow more important than teaching children about inclusion.   Before I wised up, he was excluded from instructional events at school.  He’s been kept out of a number of “tree houses” over the last 13 years.  It’s not funny to me. 

As an organization that serves people with disabilities, I cannot recommend we use this company.  Groupon as of yet seems unrepentant, and the salesperson I talked with laughed.  After saying he thought it wasn’t a big deal, he eventually admitted it was insensitive. 

I think <our event> will be huge without it.  We can get more exposure with a Facebook ad and not lose the money from discounts.  I don’t think we should use Groupon this year.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 11:06:42 PM »
McC,
Thanks for taking that stand.  It's not the first time that Groupon has made fun of people with allergies.  My DH sent me this link this morning:
http://www.groupon.com/groupon_says/groupon-says-73874084

Here's a story from about.com about these Groupon pages:
http://specialchildren.about.com/b/2011/10/07/groupon-finds-food-allergies-funny.htm

BTW, Ted Leonsis, who was recently interviewed in Allergic Living is a member of Groupon's board of directors.  My DH has already tweeted him about this issue; perhaps, we can all tweet Leonsis about the issue.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber