FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Epi Pen in the classroom  (Read 2694 times)

Description:

Offline pitter patter

Epi Pen in the classroom
« on: October 07, 2011, 10:10:34 AM »
I can't believe I forgot to share this with you all.  DD's teacher informed me last week that she now has one of DD's epipens in the classroom!   ;D   (If you recall, the school's principal had originally told me that she did not allow epis in the classroom because she didn't think it was necessary.)  I had scheduled an appt with DD's allergist in order to get a letter of medical necessity from him, but the appt isn't until next month.  So---- this change in decision was not the result of any action I had been able to take. 

I went to see the school nurse this week to confirm that there was still an epi in her office as well and she confirmed that there is now one in the classroom and one in the nurse's office.  We also have a twin pack in her "after school program" classroom.   The nurse mentioned that her daughter also has a LTFA and that their family always has 2 epis in every location so we agreed that I would bring in 2 more so that the nurse has 2 and the classroom has 2.  (I am fortunate to have very good insurance and a twin pack only costs me $15).  I think maybe the nurse is the one who got the principal to change her policy.   It is so nice to have a school nurse who really gets it!  I am beyond thrilled! 
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline AllergyMum

Re: Epi Pen in the classroom
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:18:13 AM »
So happy for you. That is great news.

Would they let her self carry (not self inject just self carry). That would reduce the number you would require down. That's what we do. We have 1 in the office 1 in after-school and DS wears 2.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:04:11 PM »
That's a good question, AllergyMum.  I haven't asked about it yet.  I just assumed that kindergarten was too young.  When did DS start wearing his?
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:39:34 PM »
This is thrilling news!!!!!

Yes, your school nurse certainly does seem to "get it".

And even more importantly, she has been empowered (or at least recognized) by the administration and/or district to SPEAK UP and ADOVCATE for the child with medical disability.

There are many with LTFA children who are fortunate to have a school nurse . . . but the nurse is neutralized for one or more of the following reasons (feel free to add your own, anybody!):

1.  She is afraid for her job (school/district has put her "in her place" and won't entertain her advocacy).
2.  She hasn't found her voice . . . or doesn't realize she might/should use it to advocate.
3.  She doesn't realize or understand (yet?) that she may/can advocate in this way.
4.  She has been misinformed and co-opted by the school/system so to believe that many/most/all? children with medical needs do not qualify for accommodations.

Thank you for sharing this here. 

This should give everyone some measure of hope.

~e

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
And

THANK YOU

to your school nurse

for advocating to protect the rights and safety-of-life of your child.

~ ~ ~

Flight Nurse's Creed

Posted 2/11/2010

I will summon every resource to prevent the triumph of death over life.

I will stand guard over the medicines and equipment entrusted to my care and ensure their proper use.

I will be untiring in the performances of my duties and I will remember that, upon my disposition and spirit, will in large measure depend the morale of my patients.

I will be faithful to my training and to the wisdom handed down to me by those who have gone before me.

I have taken a nurse's oath, reverent in man's mind because of the spirit and work of its creator, Florence Nightingale. She, I remember, was called the "Lady with the Lamp."

It is now my privilege to lift this lamp of hope and faith and courage in my profession to heights not known by her in her time. Together with the help of flight surgeons and surgical technicians, I can set the very skies ablaze with life and promise for the sick, injured, and wounded who are my sacred charges.

...This I will do. I will not falter in war or in peace.

The Flight Nurse's Creed first appeared in a speech given by Maj. Gen. David N. W. Grant, the Air Surgeon of the U.S. Army Air Forces, on Nov. 26, 1943, to the seventh graduating class of flight nurses of the Army Air Forces School of Air Evacuation at Bowman Field, Ky.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=15460

I'm sure others have creeds, oaths, and pledges they might post as well.

:heart:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
Fantastic! I guess it takes one of "us" living with LFTA being on the inside to make meaningful change. So happy for you!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 07:34:56 AM »
So glad that things are a little bit safer for your daughter now! :)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
Yea!!!

I would keep two in the clinic, even if your child self carries.  Once during a reaction at school the epi misfired and the nurse had to use a second one.  If DS had for any reason forgotten to wear his that day, it could have been an issue with only one in the office.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 02:29:57 PM »
jennifer41
We started my son using a kozy epi pen dual carried at around 3 years old. When we started we had him wear it with trainer pens inside not the real pens and only when we were with him. Within a short period of time we had him carrying the real pens.

Starting in elementry school in the Junior Kindergarten class (4 years old) he has always self carried. In his school it is a policy that all kids from JK - grade 8 self carry their epi's with one left in the school office. (No self injection only self carrying)

We have never had a problem with him self carrying.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada