login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut ban-sure. Peanut substitute ban? REALLY??  (Read 5258 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Peanut ban-sure. Peanut substitute ban? REALLY??
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Along the lines of this topic, supposedly Smuckers is testing SUNBUTTER uncrustables . . .

they are being put into some schools in USA.

Anybody happen to be in one of those schools?

Let me guess-- these "peanut free" uncrustables are run on the same LINES as the others, no doubt....    :dunce:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: Peanut ban-sure. Peanut substitute ban? REALLY??
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 02:46:01 AM »
From an OPEN GROUP at Facebook (meaning content is PUBLIC)

Well, actually, as seen on Facebook, this is some of what I've read:

Supposedly this was response from Smucker's to a poster's inquiry about the Sunbutter Uncrustables:

Thank you for contacting The J.M. Smucker Company regarding Smucker's® Uncrustables® Sunbutter Sandwiches. Within the Smucker family of brands, our goal is to offer consumers a variety of product choices to meet their diverse needs. This variety includes multiple flavors and product options.

Some follow-on questions and comments included (only posting by-name attribution where permission granted):

I would be interested to know if they are manufactured in the same facility. And, any chance of cross-contamination?

maybe you could respond back again and ask them about it. it would be useless to us - the ones who NEED it - if it is all cross contaminated...no one would buy them and they would think it was bc they did not like them!

Elizabeth Brady:

Also want to be sure that even if ARE separately produced that the packaging and label will be DISTINCTIVE so to make it clear (when wrapped) that these are NOT the pbj ones. Are they doing a different shaped sandwich as well so to be able to tell difference from PBJ ones once UNwrapped? It is totally conceivable that there could be confusion on part of children and adults alike if both the pbj ones and the sunbutter ones are being served . . . assuming, of course, that the sunbutter ones weren't X-contam to begin with.
Think of this in terms of the co-located gas spigots at the pump: one is diesel and the other for unleaded gas, but the pumps are 2 different COLORS and 2 different spout sizes.

Elizabeth Brady:

Need to add that I'm totally pleased that Smuckers is trying the Sunbutter option. I'm just trying to identify & look at all the details that need to be addressed so far as risk mitigation.

Maybe more of us could also send emails to Smucker's. Theymight not think it will sell....but if we get together, send emails detailing the concerns....they might get the hint!

Elizabeth Brady:
I just can see kids doing a "won't this be funny" trick and switching . . . or an innocent set down of the 2 sandwiches side-by-side and anaphylactic child picks up wrong one and takes bite . . . our cafeterias in most schools are woefully lacking in supervision, almost bordering on chaos. Just lots to think about.

~ ~ ~

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!