FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanut Free Macadamia Nuts  (Read 3271 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Peanut Free Macadamia Nuts
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:12 PM »
We found out this past summer after bloodwork from Duke came back that DS is not allergic to macadamia nuts.

:thumbsup:

To find peanut free ones, though, that's been a challenge.

But I did it, and DS enjoyed his first ever white chocolate chip and macadamia nut cookie ever Monday night.  :)   

Dole Plantation macadamias are peanut free as of this writing. They are shipped from Hawaii to Hamakua Macadamia Nut Company stateside (which only does Macadamia nuts) and then back to Hawaii.  :) 

I don't know about the chocolate there, but the nuts themselves have worked for DS.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The mac nuts from the Mauna Loa company owned by Hershey are NOT peanut free.  They start out in Hawaii but then are processed on the same equipment as peanuts in California before heading back to Hawaii .
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Peanut Free Macadamia Nuts
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »
Wow-- THANK YOU for sharing the information.

In return, I'll share the love... LOVE for white-chocolate, macadamia- pretty-much-anything, I mean. LOL!

:smooch:  Enjoy!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
So yes, we used Guittard. :heart:

Have you tested for Macs?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:36:33 PM »
No, and I'd always assumed that they'd be off limits since DD has allergies to (other) treenuts...

but we are considering trying hazelnuts again-- with a challenge, that is.  The thing is, macadamias are also not related very closely to other treenuts, either.  So if she can have some treenuts, those are probably the ones.  (She is allergic to pistachios and to almonds, we know, and DH is walnut-allergic.)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:38:42 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.