login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Should I delay baked egg dose a day or two?  (Read 3617 times)

Description:

Offline maeve

Should I delay baked egg dose a day or two?
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
I was just about to start what I'm calling Operation Covert Oeufs with DD.  Dr. Wood's office has again recommended that we give DD a few doses of a baked good that is egg-free and then covertly give DD an egg-containing version of the same type of baked good.  I'm going to bake egg-free banana-corn mini muffins (sounds weird but it's actually a yummy Cooking Light recipe) tonight; I'm hoping to get 24 mini muffins so that when I do the egg containing muffins I'll have muffins with 1/24 of an egg (which would be 3/4 of her base dose of 1/16).  I'm going to bake the egg-containing muffins after she goes to sleep tomorrow night and hide the evidence that there's been egg in the house (too bad I can't just buy one egg). 

I planned to give her an egg-free muffin tomorrow morning and Friday morning and then give her an egg-containing muffin on Saturday.

She's finally been cleared to get the flu vaccine and her doctor's office finally got the note from the allergist, so we're all set for them to administer it.  I've just scheduled the appointment for 2:20 p.m. on Friday. 

Would you hold off on giving her the egg containing muffin on Saturday?  If I do hold off, do you think I could give it to her on Monday?

Also, just have to say that I'm totally nervous about her getting the flu shot on Friday. :hiding:
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Should I delay baked egg dose a day or two?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:32:29 PM »
Maeve, I'd probably delay it until Sunday morning, assuming that all goes well with the flu jab.

That way, it has been long enough since the flu vax that you can be pretty confident that it isn't related if anything happens, and you'll still have a weekend day to deal with anything.

(Good luck!! With both things, I mean.)   :smooch:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
Thanks, CM.  That's what I was thinking.  I'll just give her another non-egg muffin on Saturday.  It should be interesting giving it to her on Sunday because we're going to see Peter and the Wolf at the Kennedy Center that afternoon.

At least I didn't take tomorrow morning's flu vaccination appointment.  DD has a belt test in tae kwon do tomorrow night.  If she misses TKD on Friday, that's no biggie. 

USA-Virginia

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
I would wait also.  You don't want to set her system up for failure.  Good luck at her belt test
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline starlight

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
I haven't been around as much so maybe I'm out of the loop, but why are you trying to do this without her knowledge?  I'm just thinking, I she might be able to tell the difference between an egg-free and egg-containing muffin, and then she'll be upset and not trust you.  And if she can't tell the difference and does start to react, she might brush it off as environmental since she's had the muffins the past two days and been fine...

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 02:46:25 PM »
I haven't been around as much so maybe I'm out of the loop, but why are you trying to do this without her knowledge?  I'm just thinking, I she might be able to tell the difference between an egg-free and egg-containing muffin, and then she'll be upset and not trust you.  And if she can't tell the difference and does start to react, she might brush it off as environmental since she's had the muffins the past two days and been fine...

Sorry I'm busy at work, so I'm just going to link to a previous thread.  Basically, DD may have had a reaction recently but given her anxiety over the past few months about eating items with egg, we need to determine if her symptoms are physiological or psychological.  The only way to do that is to do a blind test.  I'm not keen about doing it but it needs to be done.

First discussion of problems with DD eating her dose
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/18764

Latest update
Reaction

USA-Virginia

Offline starlight

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
Oh, ugh, what a horrible position to be in.   :-/   Best of luck with whatever decision you make. 

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:54 PM »
I have a rather convoluted egg situation.  As a kid, I remember eating an egg when I was 2 or 3 and being immediately VIOLENTLY ill from it.  I never ate eggs (extremely picky kid on top of it) and my mother always thought I was just being picky.  I tested positive to egg whites a year or so ago (first time I was tested for egg).  I have always had them in baked goods but I can't stomach the thought of eating an egg.  DH LOVES omelettes.  I generally make him make them when I'm not home.  The odd time though, he will get up early and make himself one.  We have a three story house and I will almost always wake up feeling like I want to throw up only to go down stairs and realize what he has been up to.  I am clearly not in the same egg league as your kids and I don't think I was even as a kid but I do have some degree of egg issue (make my hands itch like crazy if I get egg on them from baking).  I guess its just a long way of saying I'm pretty sure she will be able to tell what your up to.  I am usually fine with the flu shot although three years ago I got a GIANT hive and huge red blotch at the injection spot (a good 12" in diameter).  Honestly, I think I would wait until after your Kennedy Centre trip just in case.

How did the flu shot go?

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »
The flu shot went well.  There were some tears during it and many complaints about a sore arm afterward, but there's not even been a stray hive.

Catelyn, your story is interesting and is similar to many members of my extended family.  More and more info has been share with me in the years since DD was diagnosed: 

• My dad's older sister is allergic to eggs and had a bad reaction to the flu shot (but I've never seen her not eat baked goods)
  • My dad's youngest sister was allergic to egg as a child and my grandmother didn't give her eggs until she was in double-digit eggs
  • I think one of my dad's youngest sister's kids is allergic to eggs (she definitely has a child with asthma/peanut allergy/cantaloupe allergy--sound familiar)
  • The oldest son of my dad's older brother confided to my husband that he has horrible GI symptoms when he has eggs in egg form vs it as an ingredient in a disk (again I've never seen him turn down baked goods)
  • The second oldest son of my dad's older brother has a son a month younger than DD who is allergic to eggs and peanuts (though he may have outgrown egg)
Also, I agree that DD will likely be able to tell the eggy item.  We'll see how things go.

USA-Virginia

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:48:45 PM »
Ugh, you just told me why I had WICKED in my sinuses reflux last sunday night after thanksgiving dinner where I woke up nearly choking to death I was coughing so much.  I never put two and two together.  3 eggs in the crustless pumpkin pie, 3 eggs in the GF bread for the stuffing.  Ugh.  I just couldn't figure out what it was since I KNOW everything was GF.

Fingers crossed that she managed to eat it.

My dad's sister died from asthma as an adult.  At the time, it was just another "old" relative I had never met dying off.  She was 70 and I was a teenager and didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it.  I know she struggled with it all her life so I can only assume it was allergic.  My dad died when I was a kid but when my mother died and I cleared out her house, I found an old asthma med of his in the back of the kitchen cabinet.  They also had a little brother died "in his sleep" at 7.  I know think that could very well be ana rx right?  I never thought anything of it as a kid but now I realize just how weird that is.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:03:13 PM by catelyn »

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »
catelyn,  Next time you want an egg free pumpkin pie let me know & I will send you the recipe.  I bet you could do it crust free since you cook the filling by itself and just pour it into the crust.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:14 PM »
How did the weekend go, Maeve?

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
Hanging my head sheepishly:  Well, I didn't bake so it didn't go.  You can chastise me because it's entirely my fault.  I'll try to bake tonight.  The flu shot went marvelously on Friday, and we thoroughly enjoyed Peter and the Wolf. 

Thanks for asking.  I'll definitely keep everyone apprised.  You know I wish I could just buy one egg.

USA-Virginia

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 02:30:09 PM »
I hear ya-- you might ask around some of your crunchier neighbors and acquaintances, Maeve; we have a friend that keeps laying chickens, so that's who we get our singles from.  We've used four eggs... this year.  LOL!

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
I hear ya-- you might ask around some of your crunchier neighbors and acquaintances, Maeve; we have a friend that keeps laying chickens, so that's who we get our singles from.  We've used four eggs... this year.  LOL!

I so wish I lived in a crunchier neighborhood.  I live in Stepford and keeping chickens is strictly verbotten according to the HOA.  Thankfully, the supermarket within walking distance to my house (but very expensive so I don't shop there) sells a carton of only 6 eggs.  I'll just have to hide the remaining 5 well. ;)

USA-Virginia