login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Airborne reaction to Five Guys?  (Read 2710 times)

Description:

Offline DrummersMom

Airborne reaction to Five Guys?
« on: October 14, 2011, 06:35:51 AM »
DS has multiple allergies, including peanuts, and mild asthma, mostly when sick. He does not have environmental allergies. In the past he would have asthma symptoms but I'd think he was just getting a cold. Began to realize after he didn't get sick with a cold that maybe he was have reactions to contact with foods. Never could pinpoint anything though.

Last night my 17yoDD and her boyfriend brought Five Guys into the house and they ate it at the kitchen table. I'm sure DS was around them, as he pesters them like any younger brother would. About a half hour later while reading with me he asked to use his inhaler. So is it possible to have an airborne reaction to Five Guys food cooked in peanut oil? There also is the possibilty that he touched the table and put his fingers in his mouth.

Offline maeve

Re: Airborne reaction to Five Guys?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 08:55:16 AM »
I'd likely say it's a possible ingestion reaction or possibly even a reaction to peanut dust on your DD's and her boyfriend's clothes.  Five Guys has in shell peanuts in their stores for people to eat while waiting and patrons discard the shells, etc. on the floor.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Online rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:42 AM »
There is very little protein in peanut oil.  So little, in fact, that it's considered to not be allergenic.  There are people on this board (myself included) who do react to the minute amount of protein in peanut oil.  There are also people on this board (again, including myself) who have airborne reactions.  However, I think the possibility of having an airborne reaction to the minute amount of protein in food cooked in peanut oil would be extremely slim.

Sometimes asthma is just asthma.  I know your DS doesn't usually have problems with environmental allergies, but pollen is especially bad this season in many places plus we're moving into cold and flu season.  I'd be more inclined to think him needing the inhaler was due to that.

Hoping your DS is better today and also hoping there's a simple explanation for his asthma flare!

ETA:  Just seeing maeve's post about the peanut dust - yes, could definitely be that!  I didn't realize Five Guys had the peanut shells.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
I'd likely say it's a possible ingestion reaction or possibly even a reaction to peanut dust on your DD's and her boyfriend's clothes.  Five Guys has in shell peanuts in their stores for people to eat while waiting and patrons discard the shells, etc. on the floor.

This would be my guess as well. Peanut dust is pernicious stuff, and it'd be EVERYWHERE in Five Guys.
The 3 is silent.