FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: interesting encounter @ target today  (Read 2293 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

interesting encounter @ target today
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:43:57 PM »
Was walking down an aisle in Target when a young couple turned down the aisle from the opposite direction.  I had an immediate, visceral reaction to the man, but couldn't put my finger on it. I blurted out "I know you" and just kept staring at him.  My poor husband was horrified @ this point, I'm sure. Then it hit me.  This was one of the 2 EMTs that responded to our 911 call when C was 9 months old (almost 2 yrs ago now). I asked him if he was a local EMT and he said he was. So then I launched into the whole "you probably don't remember me , but" spiel....only he did. After just a brief- 'My 9 month old was in full blown anaphylaxis" He remembered, and was filling in even small details. He said he thought of us often and wondered how we made out b/c "the poor little guy was in rough shape- he was just so- so- swollen!" I remember being so frightened and the expressions on their faces when we handed C over to them...they were clearly dealing with something they'd never dealt with before. He said he brings us up often at training courses. I was so emotional at this point (I clearly still have some post traumatic stress going on) I didn't ask WHAT he brings up- better training on anaphylaxis, BLS carrying epinephrine, etc. I just know that having dealt with other EMTs for DS1, this gentleman and his partner were wonderful...they may not have had all the answers or avail tools, but they used what they had, used it efficiently and got us there quickly and safely. ...it was nice to be able to thank him. And for him to see C's sweet face as it should be- not swollen and purple  :heart:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline eggallergymom

Re: interesting encounter @ target today
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
What a wonderful story! I bet you made his week. They probably don't get much closure, given the nature of the job, and it must be hard on them to see little ones who are in such bad shape. I bet he loved seeing a happy, healthy C. :)
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
Beautiful story!  I'm glad you got a chance to thank him and show him that C is thriving due to the great care the EMT gave C years ago. 

While you never wanted to go through that experience, it sounds like it is benefitting others through training people better. 

Offline Susan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
I have a special place in my heart for the EMT's. We've taken that ride a  few times now - far too often.
I just want to hug them!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:19:50 PM »
Wow, I bet that was kind of unnerving!  Glad you got to thank them.  When we called the ambulance for my ds, they were all out on other calls, so they sent the fire rescue truck.  My neighbor from across the street was one of the emt's.  He said it was pretty scary for him because his ds is pa also and when he heard the call, anaphylaxis on ***** Street his heart stopped for a minute.  I think it was really comforting for my ds to actually have someone that he knows take care of him.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:35:08 AM »
Wonderful story.  EMT's and ER personnel are very, very special people.  :heart:

When DS was 4 he had a particularly bad episode of croup that landed him in ICU for a couple of days.  He was blue when I brought him in.  The nurse who was primarily assigned to him was especially wonderful, and I never forgot her.  A few years later he had a bad asthma attack, and we saw her again.

Fast forward to about 4 years ago (9-10 years after the initial incident) - I was visiting someone in the hospital, and went to the snack bar.  This same nurse tapped me on the shoulder and asked about DS, even remembering his name!  I'm sure she sees dozens of kids in respiratory distress yearly (even monthly!), but she remembered. 

MandCmama, your horrible experience has probably helped save lives since.  And how wonderful that you got to thank him in person, and let him know how he impacted your lives.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 10:10:51 AM »
Its amazing how some people have freaky memories for remembering people too.  Not to diminish the subject but Kylar was at a preschool camp when he was four for a week.  Last year, he walked into his first day of gr 10 science and the teacher says hi to him by name and goes on to tell him she was his camp councillor 10 years previous and remembered a whole lot of stuff about him.  Even when I went in for the parent teacher interview, she knew who I was in the long line of parents AND remembered my NAME. 

I am terrible with stuff like that.  When Evan was a baby I was walking along the beach with him in the stroller and some woman came up to me and very clearly knew who I was.  Knew all sorts of details of my life and I had NO clue who she was.  I stood and talked to her for 15 min and still to this day have no freaking clue who it was.

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 03:05:01 PM »
That's a wonderful story.  :heart: